Status: Layout Fixed.

Night Call

004

"Where have I been all this time?
Lost enslaved fatal decline
I've been waiting for this to unfold, but
The pieces are only as good as the whole."

Slipknot - Danger, Keep Away


In the far recesses of my mind I knew that something horrible was going to happen. My current situation was a give away, but somewhere deep inside I felt that other things were unfolding; sinister things. I had spent the entire day pondering, wondering whether I had actually died in the accident or was in a coma, trapt in this dream world. Perhaps the drugs had caused me to hallucinate and I was actually strapped to a bed rambling on about Twilight. I have read the book a few dozen times, so it may be a possibility.

I paced, back and forth across the room like a caged animal. Hours had passed since I ate my lunch and no one has been in my room since. Dr. Cullen must've declared me insane and was now waiting for the large white van to come with a straight-jacket.

I had calmed down during my waiting. There was something about pacing that seemed to suck all the anger and hostility from me. As long as I was moving I was releasing the pent up energy. At least I wasn't screaming and running into the door anymore.

I sighed dramatically. All this waiting and pacing was beginning to wear me out. I've tried to convince myself that I was going to wake up any moment now from my drug-induced coma, but instead another door seemed to open - literally. Dressed in the same white coat and crisp, blue shirt, Dr. Cullen stepped into the room with the kind smile he seemed to have permanently etched into his skin and a clipboard in his hand.

He quietly shut the door behind himself and stepped closer to me. I stepped back and carefully sat back on my bed, placing my hand over my cast protectively. He smiled at my calm demeanor and looked down at the clipboard, pulling a manila folder from the clasp.

"Evening." He nodded and opened the file, then sighing. "It's seems like we've run into a problem."

I crossed my arms defensively and glared suspiciously at him. "What problem?"

He looked up - topaz eyes connecting with my own. "We've run a background check on your name and came back empty. Everything: background, history, DNA. There is no record of Evelyn Jane Price in Burbank, California - none." He closed the file and clipped it back onto the board, slipping it under his arm. "So, are you going to tell me who you really are?"

I couldn't believe it, he thought I was lying about my identity.

"You have got to be kidding me!" I hollered, standing up and approaching him. "I gave you everything! What more do you want?!" Telling me he didn't believe me about Twilight was understandable, I'd have a hard time believing that too, but telling me I was lying about myself? That was going to far and I always drew the line at too far. "What do you want!"

He remained silent, staring at me with his topaz eyes before stepping closer. "The truth." The seriousness in his voice sent chills down my back. For some reason his eyes told a story of a man with great wisdom, and someone who seems to know all is someone to fear - and I did. I feared the amount of knowledge this man had - the things he knew and the things he could speak of.

"I told you the truth..."

"Not all of it."

I looked away. He knew I was hiding something, the answer as he must have suspected. He was right, though, I did know. In fact, I knew too much. I was afraid of information getting out and destroying everything, everything that had worked so hard for.

What do I tell him? Do I go into this whole explanation about Bella, their secret, the wolves, my world and theirs? No, that'd be the reckless and irresponsible things to do. I had to keep it all a secret, even if it meant the end of my life. Who knows, maybe, just maybe this world was real and unreachable to us. Would I be destroying their peaceful existence?

I couldn't do that. However, I did need help. Maybe if I told him the truth to a degree he'd agree to help me. I didn't matter, I had no choice but to tell him if I wanted to go home.

A cold hand on my shoulder brought me from my thoughts. Dr. Cullen squeezed my shoulder encouragingly before speaking softly. "You can tell me. I'm here to help." With a final squeeze he released me and stepped towards the door, opening it and looking back at me. "I'll come back tonight. Just think about what I said."

And then he left.

I knew he meant it. His type of character thrived off of keeping the peace, teaching others and aiding those in trouble. It was in his nature - that's why he took the other 'Cullens' in. But I wasn't a Cullen and I wasn't dead - at least I hoped not.

I sat back onto my bed and thought. I needed to come to a decision before he returned tonight.

Image

At 1:30 a.m. sharp Dr. Cullen walked through the door, though instead of a file he had a small bag of what looked like Grandma's Chocolate Chip Cookies and a small carton of milk. I smiled - I love late night snacks.

"Glad to see you're still up, hope I didn't keep you waiting."

"No." I rubbed my left arm nervously. The hours spent waiting and thinking had nearly driven me insane. I had argued with myself countless times almost wanting to get in a fight with myself for how stubborn I was being.

He walked across the room and handed me the cookies and milk, a smile on his lips. He seemed happy to give me cookies and understandably so, he never got to give the others cookie when they were down. At his age he must feel like a father to everyone who walks through both his home and hospital doors.

"Thank you." I took the bag and began to munch away on the sugary goodness, feeling in complete bliss. Who knew cookies could be so comforting. Like everything else in the world the feeling of happiness was only momentarily and I was suddenly reminded of my gloomy situation by the seriousness in his eyes.

He wanted answers.

I ate the last of the cookie before downing the carton of milk and setting the trash aside. The moment had come for me to tell him the truth about who I was and how I knew what I knew.

"So," I liked the chocolate from my teeth, "What do you wanna know?"

"Mind if I sit?" He gestured towards the bed.

"Oh! Yeah - I mean no! ...go ahead." He sat down at the end of the bed and sat up straight with his arms across his chest. Calm but alert. I felt more awkward then ever but tried not to let it show. "So..."

"What is it that you saw in the road?"

This was it. With a deep sigh I closed my eyes and bowed my head. "A wolf."

"Just a wolf?"

My heart thudded fiercely in my chest. I kept my head down and swallowed the lump in my throat. "Yes... but it wasn't a regular wolf."

"How so?" He inquired.

Here we go. It was either all or nothing. So, without giving it a second thought I opened my mouth a spoke the words I tried so hard to old back. "It was a werewolf."

I waited but nothing happened. He didn't speak, just remained quiet in his seat. I knew it was the end of me. He was either gonna convince me what I saw was a figment of my imagination or lock me up for telling secrets.

With every ounce of courage I had left I bit the corner of my lip and lifted me head, what I saw was not what I expected to see. There he sat, his legs now crossed as was his left arm, his left hand rubbing at his chin in deep thought. He seemed troubled - concerned even. This worried me. Why would he be concerned of worried?

"And... how do you know about them?"

I sighed in relief. It wasn't a confirmation that he believed me, but it was a sign that he was wiling to listen and that was all I wanted.

"The stories - on the reservation. I've heard about them." Technically, it wasn't a lie. In both the book and the movie were were told of the Quileute legends and about how they turned into wolves. So in a way we were told the story as well. Did I expect him to believe my lie? No, some part of me knew he was going to see through it and chances were he probably did.

"How do you know that was what you saw?"

He was challenging my story. As much as I needed his help I wasn't going to stand by and let him call me a liar. "I know what I saw and what I saw was a giant red-brown wolf jump into the road. You can go ahead and call me crazy but I will not let you call me a liar."

'He was probably going to give me some psycho-babble bullshit.' I thought bitterly. 'How dare he call me a liar after everything I've been through!

He made a 'hmm' sound and nodded his head. I crossed my arms and glared. He was irritating me to no end and I wasn't able to stand it any longer "Look, I won't have you sitting her and mocking me. I'm not crazy and what I saw sure as hell wasn't a hallucination, okay? I don't give a damn if you believe anything I say, but at least take into consideration of the possibility. You of all people should know a lot about that!"

I froze. I shouldn't have said that. You of all people? I had practically given away the answers to his next question about my knowledge of him and his family. I'm so stupid! He seemed to catch onto my words as well because what he did next nearly scared me to death.

In a flash his entire demeanor had changed. He was no longer the kind and gentle doctor, but the firm and alerted vampire. His honey colored eyes darkened and his brows furrowed in unease. Just the look in his eyes chilled me to the bone.

"Excuse me?"

My anxiety was beginning to peak and once again I found myself panicking. I didn't know what to do or say but tell the truth. I was already this far in so I had no choice but to go all the way.

"I..." the words were stuck in my throat. As much as I tried the force them the words refused to come out. He noticed my struggle and reached into his coat pocket, pulling out a tiny bottle of water that escaped my eye. He handed it to me and I quickly twisted the cap off and chugged the water. My throat was refreshed and no longer constricting the air. I set the bottle aside and clasped my hands on my lap. "I know everything."

I couldn't look him in the eyes. If I do I might start crying and blubbering like an idiot.

"What exactly do you know?"

I sighed guiltily. "About you... and the others." I felt ashamed for knowing what I did. These weren't my secrets to have, knowledge for me to know. I continued to speak, but my voice was now timid and small. "I know that you and your family are... vegetarians."

To anyone else this may have seemed like an amusing conversation. Guiltily admitting to knowing he and his family were vegetarians. If this were a movie I would have been laughing like a hyena - giggling about the absurdity of it all. Dr. Cullen, however, didn't find my confession so humorous. Though I wasn't looking into his eyes I could feel them boring into my head, burning a hole into my skull with their intensity.

"How?" 'How? Oh, I don't know, I read it in a book once. Seriously, I read it in a book.' That wouldn't work so well with him, but it was the truth and all I had. So, like with the wolves, I made my decision to tell him the truth and not look back. I was only in a dream, right?

"Um, before I tell you you have to promise me something." I nervously played with my fingers.

"And what's that?"

I raised my head and looked into his eyes, speaking in the same small voice; I was afraid. "You have to promise to let me explain everything before saying anything... okay?" He seemed to think about it for a moment and nodded his head, a warmth of understanding in his eyes. "Okay... well. Where do I begin?" I laughed nervously. "Um, where I come from is pretty far. Very far, actually. And where I live we have this book... you see, in this book there's a story and it's about a girl that meets this boy who happens to be a uh... uh, vampire."

His eyebrows shot up in disbelief. He already wrote be off as crazy but continued to listen to humor me - pretending to understand. I suppressed the urge to tell him off and continue with my tale.

"They fall in love and things begin to happen. She gets caught up in his world and becomes pray to a vampire that is a 'tracker' and wants to kill her for fun. Well the guy she fell in love with had a family that were also vampires and they decided to help her. They kept her safe for a while but eventually he lured her in with a trick and he nearly killed her, but was saved by her boyfriend and his family who killed the vampire. Before they killed him he bit the girl so she was beginning to change, but her boyfriend sucked out the venom and saved her.

After that everything was fine until it came to her 18th birthday. You see, she wanted to become a vampire to be with him, but he refused to change her. Well, the family had a small party from her and there is when the boyfriend realized that his world was much to dangerous for her and anything gone wrong could kill her. So for her safety he and his family leaves. She was depressed, did reckless things and became closer to her friend who lived on a reservation not to far away.

While they were friends they became closer and started to like one another, but little by little he began to change and soon she found out that he was a werewolf and had it out for her boyfriend. Their friendship broke. When she did those reckless things word got to the boyfriend that he was dead, so he decided to kill himself and go to the Volturi. She found out and was able to stop him in time."

I stopped speaking and waited for him, but he remained quiet and continued to stare. I knew he believed me now. I couldn't know everything I knew by coincidence. I left out Eclipse because knew he didn't need me telling him anymore about the recent past. I thought I might freak him out and didn't really know what time I was in.

Finally, after moments of painful silence he spoke up. Quiet at first. "And... where is it that you come from?"

"Far."

"How far?"

"....I'm not sure if you wanna know that." I really wasn't. Dream or no dream, hearing that someone had come from a alternate universe was hard for anyone to comprehend. Maybe him being a vampire made it easier to believe.

His lips quirked. "I'm pretty sure I can handle it."

I laughed, I don't why but I did. Of course he would be able to handle it, he's hundreds of years old and a ally/enemy to werewolves nearby.

"Okay..." He asked for it. "I think I come from an alternate universe."

"Excuse me?"

"An alternate universe. I'm not sure but I think that's where I'm from."

"Why are you not sure?"

"Well, my other theory is that I'm dreaming and this is all in my head." I prayed to God he'd believe in one of my two theories, but then again just because he's a vampire doesn't mean he'd believe in anything outrageous.

Part of me was honestly surprised at how I was able to speak. I thought I was going to be a stuttering idiot that couldn't complete a single sentence without crying or having to drink a bottle of water from his pocket. I was proud of myself.

He sighed and sat back. "Okay." What?

"Okay?" He stood up and placed his hands on his waist, as he did the door opened and two men walked in. At first I didn't know who they are but one look into their topaz eyes told me they were Cullens. One had auburn hair, boy-ish looks and a intense stare. The other had blondish hair that was in waves and seemed calm yet like he didn't want to be there, both wearing confused expressions. Instantly I saw a flash of names in my mind and knew who they were, even if they didn't look like the actors.

Edward and Jasper.

"So?" Dr. Cullen spoke up.

Edward spoke first. "She seems to be telling the truth." He didn't seem convinced though. Dr. Cullen nodded his head and looked at Jasper.

"She felt confident - nervous, but believes every word she speaks."

What? He had them stand on the other side of the door and read me? I couldn't believe it, I practically took polygraph test. I felt cheated, used, insane and lied to. I looked back and forth between the three of the and tried to suppress my angry emotions and thoughts but failed miserably.

Still near the door both Edward and Jasper glanced at each other, unsure of what to say or do. I didn't care though, I still had other things on my mind, Margaret being one of them. My questions hadn't been answers. She was still missing and no one had answers as to why or even believed she existed.

I refused to give up. One way or another, I was going to find her. All that mattered was making sure she was safe and finding away home from where ever we were.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you guys for the comments, they inspired me to write more, as did the questions.

WolfGirl96: The story takes place post-Eclipse, pre-Breaking Dawn :) So right in the middle of it all. As for your other question, as you can see Carlisle has his own ways of gathering information, but yes, he believes her now. And as for Margaret, you're just gonna have to wait and read ;) Don't worry though, everything is going to make sense soon.

See, questions give you guys answers and me ideas :D keep them coming and the updates might come out faster.

Anyways, tada! She's finally told them the truth. They don't really seem to believe her but it's a start, right? Don't worry, I'll get more into the story with Margaret and how they ended up in the Twilight world. All questions will be answered.

Please leave love!