Status: Layout Fixed.

Night Call

005

"I'm stuck in my own head and I'm oceans away
Would anybody notice if I chose to stay?
I'll send an SOS tonight
Wonder if I will survive
How in the hell did I get so far away this time?'

Good Charlotte - S.O.S


Today was the day that I was going to be released from the hospital. I had spent a total of 8 days here wandering the halls and laying around in my bed back in my other room. After the second day in the quarantine room they realized I was no longer a threat and allowed me to go back near the other patients. I didn't mind being near them as long as they minded their own business and tried not to talk to me.

Dr. Cullen continued to visit me a few times a day, sometimes to just check on my wounds and others to chat with me. It was uncomfortable at first, speaking to someone who I knew was a fictional character and didn't exist.

Since I had no ride from the hospital Dr. Cullen offered to drop me off at my home after his shift was over. I felt guilty for making him drive more then he had to but he simply waved away guilt saying it was the least he could do. So I agreed and at 10:25 p.m. he strode through the open curtain with a smile on his face.

"Ready to go?"

I sat at the edge of the hospital bed in my shorts, shoes and a new shirt since my other one had been covered in blood. I nodded and stood up, fiddling with the ID bracelet on my right wrist. Dr. Cullen said goodbye to the nurse that had entered the room and gestured for me to follow him down the halls. The walk was a quick one and soon enough I was signing release papers at the front desk and walking towards a Mercedes in the parking lot.

The car was as sleek as the one in the movie, moonlight glistening of the hood. Even though he must've had this car for a while he had obviously taken good care of it; it looked brand new.

Without saying a word I climbed into the car after he unlocked it and strapped on my seat belt making sure to make it extra tight just in case any werewolves decided to jump into the road. He seemed to have noticed me and placed a hand on my cast.

"Nothing's going to happen to you."

I exhaled deeply through my nose. "I know... I guess I'm a little anxious of cars no." I wasn't lying. Being in the car seemed to bring back everything I felt during the accident. The fear and anxiety in my chest nearly peaking. He gave my cast a small pat before turning on the car and pulling out of the parking lot.

The night didn't feel as cold as before. Maybe it was because I had so much adrenaline coursing through my veins. I felt like I could have walked a mile in shorts and a tank top and would have felt fine. I didn't mind that part though, I was glad I was shivering and chattering my teeth; this car ride would have felt that much more awkward.

I sat back in my seat looking out the window, scanning the trees for anything that seemed remotely out of place. Images of the wolf continued to flash through my mind making me dig my nails into the armrest on the door.

"How are you feeling?" Dr. Cullen's smooth voice brought me out of my thoughts.

"Fine. Just nervous."

"Understandable." He nodded his head. From the corner of my eyes I could see him glancing at me. 'He wants to talk.' I decided to make it easier for him and initiated the conversation.

"So... what now?" He knew what I was talking about. Both of us were unsure as to what would happen to me. Would something come after now that I knew this information or would life go on with me stuck in the place and Margaret no where to be found.

"We wait."

"Wait?" Wait for what? "Why?"

"Things like this don't just happen. If what you say in true then obviously there are powerful forces behind this. We'll have to wait and see what other truths unfold. And," he added with a serious note, "We have to find Margaret."

My heart soared and my breath hitched. "You believe me?"

He nodded. "I had Edward and Jasper go to the scene of the accident and they say they've located a scent. It disappears after a few miles but as long as it was there we know that she is real." And in danger. I knew that's what he wanted to say but didn't want to scare me. As much as I didn't want to admit it if something had taken Margaret it wasn't so they could be best friends. Deep down inside I knew that the chances of her surviving were slim to numb, but a chance was all I needed.

I smiled. Okay.

Image

We approached the house only to find tow cars parked in the driveway, cars I didn't recognize. He turned off the car and we both stepped out. I glanced at him and slowly walked up to a window, peeking inside to find my home was invaded.

A family sat in the living room on furniture that wasn't mine. A young boy and what seemed to be his little sister laid on their stomachs in front of a large T.V. with game controllers in their hands. On the couch sat the mother and father, both looking relaxed as they watched their children play.

They looked like the perfect family.

I was confused. Why would these people be in my home? And where was all my stuff? I looked back at Dr. Cullen who looked as confused as I did. He stepped behind me and gazed into the window.

"Are you sure this is where you live?" He whispered.

"Yeah... this is my house. But... I don't understand." I refrained from raising my voice and turned around to face him. "What's going on? Why are these people in my home?"

Before he could answer his phone went off loudly. The husband and wife inside were suddenly standing up and looking at the window cautiously.

He quickly put his phone on silent and grabbed my right arm. "Come on, let's go before they come out." He rushed me to the car and stepped to his side and in a flash was in the car with the ignition on and my door unlocked. I opened it and slid in. And just like that we were off. I turned away from the window and towards him to ask some more questions but he was already talking on his phone.

"...that's where we're heading now." What was he talking about? Heading where? I waited for him to finish his conversation before asking the questions.

"Where are we going?"

"The house - my house."

"What? Why?!"

"Alice had a vision about you and told Esme that you were stranded, so she suggested you stay with us until you find your way back home." He shoved the phone back into his pocket. "I'm sure she'll be thrilled to meet you." He added with a smile when he saw the look of horror on my face.

In the house... with them? I wanted to object and demand to be dropped off at a motel until I realized I had no money and I really didn't want to ask him for some. As much as I tried to fight the idea and find some sort of loophole his home was the only place I could go to. It was the logical answer too. I was stuck in this world and so far he and his two 'sons' were the only ones aware of my situation and the only ones what could possibly help me.

There was no point in arguing.

So with a defeated sigh I slouched back into my seat and dropped my head back onto the headrest. "Okay."

"Good." He grinned. "Besides, I'm sure Alice would like to meet you as well. She seemed excited about you coming over." Three guesses why. Probably to take me shopping, being the fashionista that she is and portrayed as in the books and movies.

We drove down the desolate road in silence. I had gone quiet after he told me I was going to be staying with him. I was still unsure if it was a good idea but even if it wasn't it was the only one we had.

My heart hammered in my chest as he pulled into a multiple car garage, pulling up between a red BMW and a silver Volvo. Seeing these two cars made my anxiety shoot through the room. I couldn't believe it - I was actually about to do this, I was about to meet the Cullen family. For a moment I wondered if they would look like the actors but one look at Dr. Cullen and the memory of Jasper and Edward told me no.

And then I realized it. Whether it was an alternate universe of a figment of my imagination caused by drugs, in here everything was real. These people were no longer fictional characters and were now as real as me. If I got hurt then I got hurt for real. The accident was evidence that getting injured wasn't going to wake me up or take me back. Every action had a consequence - I just hoped I remembered that.

After turning off the car we both climbed out, Dr. Cullen suddenly appearing behind me and closing the door for me. I thanked him and waited for him to lead the way, but when he didn't move I looked back at him confused. He simply raised his hand and gestured towards the door to the far right.

"Ladies first." Oh right, he not really from this time. Unlike people nowadays he still had manners and was chivalrous. But me being a girl from these times I wasn't used to guys my age being so kind. So like an idiot I blushed a deep shade of red and thanked him before walking towards the door.

It was unlocked so with all my courage I twisted the knob and pushed it open, the sight before me making my jaw drop.

They never went to exact detail about how exquisite the inside of the house was. The hardwood flooring was cherry red and the walls were beautiful, stainless white. On the walls were photos, paintings, and shelves that had priceless artifacts on it that had been collected over the years. Where there wasn't a wall there was a glass wall that allowed to see into the other rooms.

No matter how many words I used nothing I came up with justified the beauty of it all.

The sounds of heels clicking against the hardwood floor brought me from my thoughts. From the hall to the left a woman rounded the corner. Like Carlisle, she wore a kind and welcoming smile - clasping her hands in front of her self.

"Hello, you must be Evelyn." Her voice was like music and I was suddenly envious of her beauty and natural charm. "I'm Esme." She stepped forward and reached out her hand for me to shake. "Welcome, I hope you enjoy your stay here." I shoved aside all my negative thoughts and berated myself for thinking so awful. She was opening up her home to me and here I was getting jealous and angry.

I sighed and smiled kindly. I couldn't hate her, she was too kind. "Thank you." I shook her hand, shivering at the coldness of her skin. She seemed to noticed and smiled sadly at me, but I only grinned. The last thing I wanted was for her to think I was uncomfortable to be here.

"Are you hungry? You must be famished."

"Oh, no! I'm fine, thank you."

She raised a curious eyebrow at me. "Are you sure?" I nodded my head and she sighed, I felt bad. She probably really wanted to cook for someone too. "Well, if you change your mind you just let me know, okay?" I thanked her again and nodded.

"How about we introduce you to the others." I jumped at the sound of his voice. I had completely forgotten that he was there. "Sorry," he chuckled and squeezed my shoulder before stepping around me and next to Esme.

"It's okay..." I placed a hand over my racing heart.

"Alice is excited." Esme smiled as she laced fingers with Carlisle. "You ready to meet the others?"

Was I? Part of me said no, it screamed at me to run out back into the garage and jump into the car again, but the other side told me to stay put. I didn't want to seem like some scared child who ran off whenever I was afraid, so like all the other times I swallowed my fear and nodded. She smiled and began to lead the way.

I stayed a few steps behind wanting to pace myself before the introduction. I had already been introduced to Jasper and Edward, but that was more of a 'strictly business' kind of thing and not really a friendly hello. I wondered if they had told the others about what I said and the situation I was in.

The walk wasn't as long as I wanted it to be and before I knew it were rounded a corner and suddenly I was face to face with five pairs of topaz eyes. My heart raced like never before and I could feel my breath beginning to hitch in my throat again. I was positive that they could hear my heart panicking in my chest. Reflexively I placed a protective hand over the cast on my left arm and began to rub it with my fingers.

The room was silent until one of the stood up and approached me. Immediately I was wrapped into a tight hug.

"It's so nice to finally meet you!" I was stunned. Never in my life have I ever met anyone so... lively. She pulled away from the hug and I took the chance to take in her appearance. He hair was dark and chopped into a stylish pixie cut. Like Esme she was beautiful and radiated kindness. Her clothes seemed expensive and were obviously of the biggest name brands. "I'm Alice."

"Uh... Evelyn." I answered awkwardly. She smiled widely and turned away, practically prancing back to the couch and sitting next to who I remembered being Jasper. The next one to stand up was larger then the others, like seriously, this guy had huge muscles. Immediately I knew who this was. Emmett. I thought with a smile. He was always one of my favorites.

"What's up?"

I don't know if it was because I was meeting one of my favorite characters or because he seemed to calm me down with his casual introduction I stupidly replied: "The sky?" He cracked a smile and nodded his head.

"Nice." He stuck out his hand. "Emmett." I returned his smile and shook his hand.

"Evelyn." He saluted me with his middle and index finger before turning away and sitting back down to who I assumed was Rosalie. She sat with her arms crossed in a huff and a irritated look on her face. Unlike the others, she looked exactly like the actress that played her in the movies. It threw me off so much. I didn't know what to say to her so I simply gave her a small wave and said my name, I remembered from the books that she didn't really like anyone and told myself to not take anything she says personally.

From the corner of my eye I could see someone smiling. I turned to face them to find Edward smiling to himself. He must've heard what I said about Rosalie. Great, I forgot he could read minds. His smile was replaced with a somber expression and he stood up and approached me, his hand already out.

"We didn't get to properly meet. I'm Edward." He gave me a dazzling smile that almost made me go weak in the knees. I shook his hand cautiously unsure of what to make of him. He seemed like someone who kept most of his emotions to himself so I didn't really know what he thought of me. He seemed polite, but that could be a cover just so I could feel comfortable.

I released his hand and gave him a small smile. "Evelyn." He returned my small smile and gave me a nod before returning to his spot on the couch between the armrest and empty seat of the loveseat.

The final person to stand up was Jasper. I felt nervous as he approached I fought the urge to shut down my emotions and tried to not let my anxiety take over. However, instead of becoming more anxious I found that as he came closer I relaxed more and more. He was calming me down. I gave a sigh of relief as he reached out his hand.

"Hello." I could hear the faint accent in his voice and suppressed the urge to giggle. I always liked country accents. He obviously sensed my giddiness since the corner of this lip quirked into a smile. "Jasper."

"Evelyn." I smiled back. He sat back down and I jumped as a could arm was wrapped around my shoulder.

"Evelyn here is going to be spending some time with us." Esme said as she gave them a look. "Edward and Jasper are aware of her situation, so Carlisle is going to inform the rest of you." She gave my arm a reassuring squeeze. "I want you all to make her feel at home, okay?" Rosalie rolled her eyes as the others nodded. "Alright, ready to see your room?"

I had a room? I didn't expect that. I thought they were just going to hand me a blanket and pillow and let me crash on the couch for a few days. I didn't think they'd go as far as to set up a room for me. Anyone who's read the books knows that these vampires never sleep, so there was no need for a bed. To accommodate my human needs they had to furnish an entire room. That in itself was a huge gesture.

I nodded and allowed Esme to lead me to my room up the stairs.

Image

It was late into the night when I awoke with a start. My worried thoughts had followed in into my dreams and began to haunt me as nightmares. I kept reliving the accident. In my dream I kept hearing Margaret screaming for me, begging for me to find her and save her, but I couldn't.

I was running through the woods, swapping away branches in my way, squeezing through trees that seemed to form a wall, getting tighter and tighter the farther I ran. I was chasing something; an animal. I could barely make it out but with the moonlight I was able to see russet fur. It was the wolf. It was him. I kept trying to catch up to him, screaming at him to slow down.

The trees soon became to tight for me to squeeze through and I was left banging against a wall of forest. I hollered and cried for it to open - I needed to catch up to him, to ask him what he saw before the accident. He was there when it happened, he had to have known something or else he wouldn't be running through Forks.

And then I heard it, a sound that shattered my heart and soul into pieces. Margaret. Her screams pierced the night sky - and ear shattering cry. It hurt to hear it and only made me cry harder. It seemed the harder I tried the more she was in pain. Soon she began to sob hysterically, begging for me to stop because it hurt so much.

I couldn't take it anymore and that's when I woke up, panting, crying harder then ever before. I tried to hide my cries by burying my face into the pillow. I knew they heard me downstairs. How could they not? I was probably screaming in my sleep. I suppose they didn't want to disturb me when I woke up.

I pulled myself up into a sitting position and swung my legs over the edge. My heart beat painfully in my chest. My mind raced as I sat there, thinking over my dream and everything I had experienced since the accident. Maybe I was dead but didn't know it. It doesn't matter anymore. I didn't care what happened to me, it was Margaret I was worried about. She had gone through so much in life she deserved to have a bit of happiness.

My heart ached even more.

What if she was dead? What if she died because I made the stupid decision to move to Forks and now she had lost her life? After everything she went through... after all the pain and heartache. If it was her time it shouldn't have been like this. Not screaming in fear. Not worrying for her life or mine. She should have died peacefully in her sleep - forever in her wonderful dreams.

That's how it should have been.

I sighed and wiped away the tears with the long sleeve Alice had let me use to sleep. Hiccuping, I laid back down and pulled the covers over myself, trying to dig myself a hole. The dream had made me come to a decision.

I don't know how or when, but I was going to confront Jacob Black, and I was going to find out what happened that night.

That I was certain of.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you guys for the comments and questions. See, how fast was that? Questions give me ideas :)

WolfGirl96: As you can see Edward and Jasper don't mind her, but are still unsure about her presence. They'll warm up to her eventually. Because of your question about meeting the other Cullens I decided to bring them out now :) it was small but her interaction with them will build up. And yes, she knew from the beginning that the wolf was Jacob when she suspected she was in Twilight, that's why she kept giving hints to Carlisle. And as for her roll in Breaking Dawn, you'll find out more about it soon :)

sowrongitemily!: Thank for that, it made me feel all warm inside :) but like I told WolfGirl96, you'll just have to wait and see ;)

Thank you guys so much for reading! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I've had this idea in my head for a while and when no one used it I decided to give it a try. Happy reading!

Please leave love!