Status: Layout Fixed.

Night Call

007

"Back then I didn't know why
Why you were misunderstood
So now I see through your eyes
All that you did was love."

Spice Girls - Mama


There are times in our life where we feel true fear, fear that seems to seep into your very essence and taint your soul. Up until now I never knew what fear was. Being hunted and cornered by the wolves made me realize how much more danger I was in in this world. Everything I did had consequence whether it was talking to someone or stepping out of the door. Everything I did seemed to cause something to happen.

My second near death, for example.

Upon returning to the house every door and window in the house seemed to lock, as if it were trying to keep something out - or me in. The atmosphere was tense inside the house, no one spoke to me.

Emmett walked me up the stairs and gently laid me on the bed before patting my head with his cold hand, ruffling my hair. He smiled sadly and wished me goodnight before leaving my room. I crawled into my blankets, and like the previous night, cried my self to sleep. My dreams were plagued with visions of me being ripped to shreds by the wolves, and that only brought on more nightmares.

Soon they changed to Margaret and the wolves. What if that's what happened to her? What if she was actually ripped to shreds by the wolves? It was horrifying.

My dreams were filled with screams and blood.

I slept fitfully that night. Tossing and turning, crying out for someone to save me from the wolves.

Image

A cold hand brushed away strands of hair that had fallen into my face. I groaned as it continued to run it's fingers through my hair, the sensation sending chills down my spine. I turned my head away trying to bury myself deeper into the pillow, but a melodic voice called to me from far away.

"...Evelyn."

Who was calling me? I recognized that voice but couldn't place it.

"Wake up, sweetie..."

My heart clenched. Mom?

"Evelyn, you have to wake up, honey."

It sounded like her; my mother. It sounded like her angelic voice that used to wake me up every morning for school. How I missed hearing her voice. But why was she calling to me now? She couldn't call to me, she was.... gone. But it sounded like her, so close yet so far away.

I felt the cold hang begin to shake me gently.

"Evelyn..."

Hmm? "...mom?" I heard a soft sigh and the cold fingers began to run through my hands again. They felt so good; they felt like home. "Mom?" I opened my eyes and sat up hopefully, but what I saw nearly shattered my heart.

Esme sat at the edge of the bed, a sad smile gracing her lips.

"Oh... sorry, Esme." I wiped away the tears in my eyes, hoping she couldn't see them. I knew she did though. I also knew that hearing me call her mom must have broken her heart. I remembered from the books that all she wanted was to have children.

I felt guilty now. I had called her mom. I had given her taste of something she could never had. Part of me knew that if she could, Esme would have cried. "It's okay." She smiled and brushed another lock of golden-brown hair from my face. "I just wanted to wake you up before it got too late. Your breakfast is starting to get cold." I sighed at her somber expression.

If anyone deserved kids, it was Esme. She would have been a wonderful mother. Some part of felt like I needed her to know that, that if she were a mother, she would have been the best.

Without any notice, I wrapped my arms around Esme's shoulders and buried my face into her hair. She smelled of strawberries and morning dew; a homey scent. Her body was cold yet she radiated warmth.

Her arms wrapped around me and she pulled me closer, rubbing her hand against my back in a circular motions as she began to hum. I felt connected, needed, wanted; loved. I was an emotion I hadn't felt in a long time - especially if it came from a mother.

Suddenly, the memories of my mother came rushing back to me. How she used to always have breakfast ready for me, even when I was old enough to cook it for myself. How she used to ask me how my day was even though she was the one tired from work. All the small things that she did that showed me just how much I meant to her.

I remember her giving me Eskimo Kisses every night until I said I was too old for them. When I think about it now I wish I could take it back. All the horrible things I said to her over the years. I never meant any of the words I said but I knew how much they hurt her.

All she wanted was to make me happy, to have me live a happy and prosperous life. I didn't understand then. It wasn't until I lost her that I realized everything else in the world didn't matter if you didn't have someone to love; a mother's love.

I felt all the guilt and pain. Like Margaret, my mother didn't deserve the pain she had. She had gone through so much in life. I would have given my life just to see her smile. But it didn't matter now. She was gone. My father was gone and so was Margaret. The three people who ever meant the most to me in life had been taken away.

I held onto Esme harder as I let the tears fall. I couldn't hold onto everything anymore. All the horrible nightmares, my heart that seemed to break more and more each day, and the reminder that in the end I was alone.

Esme's sweet voice sang a soft lullaby as she pulled me onto her lap, pressing my head against her chest and rocking back and forth.

I needed this. My heart needed this. My soul needed this.

In the end, all I wanted more then anything in the world was a mother's hug. It was something that I had missed and craved for for years.

So I held onto every ounce of love she gave.

Image

Esme stayed with me, laying next me on the bedm both of us facing each other.

"You miss her?" Of course I did. I missed my mom with every fiber of my being. I nodded my head and played with a strand of her strawberry-blonde hair. Deep down I feared of what the others were going to say about last night. Especially Rosalie. I feared her the most.

What if she convinced the others that I was no good and only going to cause trouble? Would I be sent away from them? I don't think my heart would be able to survive another loss. But I needed to know.

"Esme?"

"Hmm?"

"...am I gonna be sent away?"

She pushed herself up and stared at me with surprised eyes. "Why would you ask that? Of course we wouldn't."

"Oh." I felt relieved. At least she'd protest if Rosalie suggested it, which I'm pretty sure she has by now.

"Evelyn, why do you think you're going to be sent away?"

I avoided eye-contact with her and shrugged my shoulders, now playing with a thread from the blanket. "... I dunno." My voice wavered, small and weak. I tried not to speak much, I was afraid the lump in my throat would loosen and I start to cry again.

Her cold hand delicately cupped my cheek and lifted my head. Her honey eyes connected with my own and I could feel the tears beginning to well in my brown ones. Why was I crying so much?

She sighed, her thumb caressing my cheek just below my eye. "Sweetie, what made you think that we're going to send you away?" She asked as if it were the most ridiculous thing ever and I felt embarrassed. Was I over-reacting?

"I just... I just thought you guys were going to get tired of me. And after last night... well..."

"No," she chuckled lightly and shook her head. "We promised we'd help you find Margaret and find your way back home. We're not going to give you up." She wiped my tears away with her thumb. "It'd take a lot more then a few werewolves to get rid of you."

I smiled. A real smile.

"Thank you, Esme." I sat up and gave her a tight hug. She pulled away and smiled.

"If there's anything you ever need to talk about let me know, okay? You're not alone, honey." And with that she squeezed my reassuringly before slipping out of the bed and leaving the room.

I felt lighter, like a good cry and hug was all I needed. If only I had a cup of hot chocolate. I sighed and stood from the bed, stretching my back with a yawn. How long were we in here for? I looked at the clock next on the dresser next to the bed and gasped.

"11:25 p.m.?" She had laid in bed with me for three hours? I couldn't believe it. Esme really did deserve to be a mother. I smiled sadly at the clock and looked through a drawer that had been filled with clothes that Alice no longer wanted. I quickly change and did my basic morning routine. Once I finished I made my way downstairs.

Entering the kitchen I found Esme, Carlisle, Emmett and Edward sitting at the kitchen table. I looked around for the others and realized the must be in other parts of the house or outside.

"Afternoon." I said as I strode into the kitchen, trying to act as if nothing had happened last night. "Where are the others?"

"Jasper, Alice and Rosalie stepped out for a bit."

"Oh, alright." I walked towards the fridge and opened it.

"Are you hungry? Want something for lunch?" Esme stood from the table.

"No thank you, Esme. I think a sandwich is all I want right now." I opened the pantry door and grabbed the bread and peanut-butter and jelly. I closed the door and saw the look in her eyes. Damn. "But I have an idea for dinner!" I added with enthusiasm.

She smiled and agreed to dinner. The heaviness in my heart was lifted. Good - she's smiling. Edward looked away from the table and stared at me. I didn't know if he was trying to get into my mind or simply heard what I had thought about Esme and began to panic, my mind spiraling from one thought to another.

"Evelyn." Edward's voice called from out from my worried thoughts. I looked at him like a deer caught in head lights, my brown eyes wide and full of panic. "It's okay, nothing's wrong."

I tried to calm myself. What was wrong with me? Why was I suddenly feeling so emotional? For moment I wondered if I was near and emotional and mental breakdown. Edward's eyes widened and I began to curse myself. Now he really was going to worry.

"I'm fine." He eyes me for a moment before nodding. I sighed and began to work on my sandwich, placing it on the counter and taking the bread from the plastic bag. Working on the sandwich seemed to relax me. It kept my hands busy and my mind focused.

I began to narrate my actions in my mind as I put together my delicious PB and J sandwich.

'Dip the knife into the jam. Spread onto the bread evenly. Dip the knife into the peanut-butter, spread over opposite slice of bread evenly. Pick up one slice of- '

"Evelyn, please!" Edward laughed from his seat across Carlisle who eyed both Edward and I. I looked up from my sandwich and smiled, forgetting that he could hear everything I was thinking.

"...sorry." I smiled sheepishly and quickly finished making my sandwich. I put everything back where it belonged and took a large bite from it, my taste buds soaring into a sweet and delicious bliss. "Mmm, so good." Carlisle smiled from the table and patted the empty seat between himself and Emmett.

I chewed on the large piece of bread as I walked towards them, smiling at Esme who sat across from me and between Edward and Carlisle. I did my best to chew the snack as fast as I could but it seemed I had but a little too much peanut-butter. Darn.

Edward chuckled.

"Havin a little problem them, huh, Evey?" He playfully jabbed my with his elbow. Evey? I hadn't been called that since I was 14. I smiled. I missed that name. With a playful glare I swatted him away and focused on chewing the bread. Once I had successfully ate it I placed the sandwich down and gave Dr. Cullen my undivided attention.

"Did you need something, Dr. Cullen?"

He chuckled. "Evelyn, please, call me Carlisle." I blushed. Of course he'd want me to call him Carlisle, why would he want to be addressed by his title 24/7. "That aside - I wanted to speak with you."

"About?"

He glanced at Edward who nodded his head. "Sam and his pack would like to meet you." I felt my blood go cold. What? Was he serious? After nearly ripping me to pieces they wanted to invite me over? For what, to tie me onto a stick and cook me over a roasting bonfire? I don't think so.

"Why?"

"They feel guilty about what happened last night and they want to apologize." All the fear, anxiety and pain seemed evaporate from my body - I was pissed. I felt like I did when they isolated me in the hospital. I was ready to throw someone out the window.

"No."

"Evelyn, this might - "

I shook my head. "I don't want to."

"Please, Evelyn, reconsider. You said you wanted to find Margaret, right? This might take us a step in the right direction."

I looked at Edward and Emmett. Edward held a neutral expression, not angry or upset; his emotions well hid. Emmett, on the other hand, protested it, though his was silent. I could see from his body language that he didn't like the idea of me going over there.

He wore a frown, his fingers laced together on the table.

"Emmett?" He looked up from the table and smiled at me. "What do you think I should do?" He looked at Edward and Carlisle and sighed. I already knew the answer.

"I think... you should do what is best for you." I nodded. "But," he held up his finger, "if they so much as cough near you, I'm breaking the damn treaty and kicking their asses." His eyes were dark but I could see the underlying joke in his words. I laughed and took another bite of my sandwich.

"It's settled then." Carlisle stood from the table. "Edward, would you please call Bella and let her know that Evelyn will be going with her." Edward nodded and stood up, vanishing in a flash. Bella? Bella was gonna go with me?

Did she know about what happened last night?

I groaned and slouched into the seat. Emmett ruffled my hair obnoxiously. I swatted his hand away as Esme stood up, too.

"Let me pack something for you and Bella, just in case you get hungry." I smiled and thanked her with a nod as I continued to chew on the sandwich.

"Good luck, Evey. And remember what I said, okay? You just call me if any of the mutts begin to act up. I'll put them down for you."

I chuckled and patted his shoulder.

Image

Edward was going to drive in his Volvo and follow Bella and I to the treaty line, there we would be meeting with Jacob and follow him. I felt nervous - more then I've ever felt in a long time. The ride with Bella was awkward. I still didn't know if she knew about the wolves attacking me or not, but I didn't want to bring it up now and cause a dispute between Bella and Jacob.

I stared out the window, watching the green trees as they flew by us, the beautiful nature seeming more dangerous with each passing day. I placed a protective hand over my cast, tracing over the writing Emmett had scrawled on it before allowing me to leave the house.

I smiled the the perfect handwriting.

'Property of Emmett Cullen. You Touch, You Die.' Next to it was a happy face.

"So those wolves know to keep their dirty little paws off of you."

"We're almost there." Bella's voice brought me from my reverie. I lifted my head and looked out the windshield to see what looked to be a red Volkswagen Rabbit. Hmm, so that's what it looked like.

I felt the truck slow to a stop and suddenly Edward was at Bella's door, whispering something to her. I felt like I was intruding on their 'moment' and decided to give them some privacy. I climbed out of the truck with a small bag Alice was letting me use as a purse and shut the door.

I looked up at the sky and exhaled deeply before setting my eyes on the man in front of me. What surprised me was that he did kind of remind me of Taylor Lautner. They didn't look exactly alike but there seemed to be something about him.

I stood awkwardly not really know what to do. Jacob looked just as lost and simply waited for Bella to start the truck again. Once Edward was back in his Volvo he waved goodbye and gave me a smile. I returned his wave and smile before climbing back into the truck.

"So... you guys always say bye like that?"

"Like what?" She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

"You know... like that." I pointed behind me. When she didn't catch on I rolled my eyes and continued my explanation. "You act like you're never going to see him again. The way he looked when you said goodbye almost seemed like he was saying goodbye forever."

And then I remembered. Jacob was in love with her, of course he was going to worry about another man trying to steal his girlfriend soon-to-be wife. I shook my head and sat back.

"Sorry."

"Oh!" She shook her head and laughed nervously. "No... it's just that, I'm not used to talking to anyone about this. Alice and the others, they already know everything so there was no point in talking about it."

I understood. Living with them it was hard to keep things from them even though I've only known them for several days. It already felt like months.

I smiled. "I know what you mean. With Alice, Edward and Jasper - nothings a secret for me." She chuckled. "You're lucky though."

"Why?"

"Edward says he can't read your mind."

"Yeah." she laughed, "that really bugs him."

"He's pretty nosy, huh?" I joked, smirking as she tried to come up with a defense for Edward.

"What? No... no, he's not. well..."

"Bella." I gave her a look and she began to laugh. Hearing her laugh made me smile. Another person that I could possibly add to the list of friends.

She laughed and nodded. "Okay, he's nosy - happy?" I laughed out loud.

"Very." And just like that the atmosphere in the car lightened. I felt happier that I had broken the ice with Bella. maybe now she'd talk to me more when she came to the house.

Image

We pulled in front of a small house; it looked homey from the outside. I unbuckled my seat belt and grabbed my purse. "Whose house is this?" I asked as I opened the door.

"Sam's and Emily's." She shut the door and walked around the hood of the car, giving Jacob a small hug. I took a few moments to catch my breath. Seeing Jacob only a few feet away made my anxiety resurface. Funny, at the house I was so ready to kick his ass, but now - I couldn't even look at him.

Flashes of last night only made it worse. I remembered the wolf that was chasing me, trying to snap at my feet. It was him, he was the wolf that tried to attack me from behind... the wolf that caused the accident.

Like a switch my emotions did a complete 180 and I was suddenly enraged. This was the idiot that ran into the road and caused me to have the accident - to loose Margaret.

I clenched my fist.

As much as I wanted to punch him in the face I knew it'd only end badly for me. I'd be the one getting hurt from the punch, not him. Closing my eyes, I took deep breaths in through my nose out of my mouth. I needed to remain calm. The last thing I wanted to do was blow up at him and loose what leads I may have to finding Margaret.

With one last breath I stepped out of the truck and shut the door, throwing the strap of my bag over my shoulder. Turning to face the house I was startled when I came face to face with Jacob. I gasped and took a step away, my back hitting the door of the truck.

"Sorry."

I glared at him before standing up straight. I wasn't going to let him scare me, even though it didn't seem like those were his intentions.

"Jacob." He held out his hand. I eyed if for a moment before placing mine in his, wincing at the heat. His hot hand was a contrast to the Cullens' cold hands, but I ignored it and shook his hand as if it didn't bother me.

"Evelyn." I wondered if he recognized me from the accident. I was prepared to give him a full on interrogation about the night of the accident but a deep voice spoke before I could.

"Jacob." We both looked to the porch of the house to see Sam Uley standing there, a woman with copper skin, long black hair and scars on her face behind him. He gestured for Jacob to go back into the house before stepping off of the porch. Jacob looked at me once more before saying goodbye and walking back into the house.

He approached me with a weary smile, reaching his hand out for me to shake, the woman who I assumed was Emily in tow. "Welcome - I'm Sam and this if my fiance, Emily." I shook his hand and smiled at Emily.

"I'm Evelyn."

"We're so happy to have you here." She spoke with a kind voice. I felt no hatred or resentment towards her, I wouldn't take my anger for Sam and his pack out on her when she had nothing to do with it.

"Thank you for having me."

"Would you like to come in and meet the others? I just made some hot-dogs and hamburgers if you want some." I thanked her for her generosity and followed her and Sam onto the porch and into the house.

I was calm now - but wait until the talk about last night came up. I was going to unleash Hell onto these people. They just didn't know it yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
The fire within her is burning! Just to let you guys know I'm not doing Team Jacob or Team Edward, nor am I favoring on group over the other. Evelyn just needs to set some things straight before she can be friendly with them.

WolfGirl96: Rosalie to me seemed naturally like an angry person because of her past and everything she lost. So I decided to try to channel that same anger here. She upset, but worried more then anything. She worried that Evelyn might attract trouble with her presence and hurt her family. What she told Evelyn was just a scare tactic, nothing to be taken serious.

As for Emmett, he endeared by her fragility. He's having something with her that he doesn't have with Bella who can't joke that much, so he's loving it and wants to protect it. The 'What's Up?' joke is what sealed the deal for him. And obviously he can't really joke like that with Bella when she's always with Edward.

FindAWayToSmile: Glad I could impress :)

I'd probaly break my arm on purpose if it meant Emmett was going to write that on my cast! :D

I hope you guys like the update! I'm on a serious roll with this. I'll probably have another update up in a few hours, haha.

Comment, banner, recommend, question - I love it all and they keep me posting.

Please leave love!