Status: Layout Fixed.

Night Call

008

"Why don't you let me be
Leave me alone
You start a fire inside that I could never control
You wanna see a reaction."

Trapt - Stand Up


Did I really want to do this? No, but had I no choice. Not only did I need to gather information from the wolves but now that they knew I was staying with the Cullens I needed to reassure them that I was perfectly safe in their home and that no harm would come to me. As much as I wanted to make this as painless and easy as possible a part of me wanted to start an argument.

All the pent up energy I had gather from walking around the hospital and sitting around the house these past two days was beginning to drive me crazy. I was wiling to do anything to blow off some steam, even piss off a werewolf.

With my head held high I gripped the strap to my bag and entered the house, scanning the open area with my eyes. It was bigger inside, not by much, but enough to accommodate a large number of people; just enough for the wolves to hang around. Sitting on a couch pressed against the wall on the far left were two large men, if you could call them that, who were both shirtless and wearing cut off jeans. Like Jacob and Sam, they both had short, shaggy haircuts and were built large.

I eyed them for a moment before turning away and looking towards the kitchen. A table was placed in the center of the dinning room was plates that were stacked with hamburgers and hot-dogs wrapped with bacon. The amount of food on each plate startled me until I remembered that now that the boys were werewolves they ate more then the average person.

"Are you hungry?" Emily walked around me and gestured towards the table. "There's enough to feed an army." Behind me the two boys stood from the couch and approached the table, eyeing the plates. I stepped back and let them sit down.

"Thank you, but I already ate before we left." Not that the sandwich was filling, I just felt uncomfortable eating here. She nodded her head and placed an extra plate on the table just in case I changed my mind.

"Where did you eat?" One of the boys asked as he took a large bite from a hamburger.

"At the house..."

"They have food? I thought they'd be handing you pieces of raw meat covered in- OW!" He was smacked upside the head by Emily who pointed a finger and gave him a warning glare. "What was that for?" He whined as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Evelyn, this is Jared and Paul." She pointed to the two of them. Jared smiled and gave me a friendly wave as Paul just nodded his head. I returned Jared's smile and gave Paul a small 'hi'. Emily gave the boys another look before walking back into the kitchen.

Weren't there more of them?

Bella, who I had just noticed had been going for a while, suddenly appeared and took a seat next to me, grabbing the empty plate and two hot-dogs. Jacob then appeared as well, taking a seat across from me. I noticed that both of them were strangely quiet.

"Where'd you go?" I asked Bella, watching her take small bites of her hot-dog. She shook her head and quickly ate the food in her mouth, covering her lips with her hand as she spoke.

"I needed to talk to Jake." And with that she resumed eating. As I stared at Bella curiously, I suddenly began to feel like I was being watched. I looked up at Jacob to see him staring at me. His gaze was intense - deep brown eyes scorching my skin. Our eyes connected as I stared back, refusing to be the first one to look away.

I stared into his near-black orbs as I thought over everything. How was I going to ask him questions without sounding like I was accusing him of murdering her? I needed to come up with a plan, one that would allow me to gather the information I needed.

My palms began to sweat as he continued to stare. I didn't like the look in his eyes. He looked both confused and upset, his brows furrowing.

The sound of a chair scrapping loudly as it was pulled from the table made me jump, but I made sure to keep eye-contact with him. The corner of his lips pulled into a smirk as he looked away and began to eat his food.

I inwardly smiled. I won the staring match.

Emily returned from the kitchen with another plate that had extra hot-dogs and hamburgers, placing it down on the table and taking a seat next to Sam who I noticed was now sitting as well.

"So," Emily spoke up, gathering food onto her plate. "How long have you been staying with the Cullens?" I ignored the sudden dark looks at the mention of the Cullens and grabbed a hot-dog. Why not.

"This is my second day." I nodded, looking down at the hot-dog unsure if it was okay to eat. Shrugging my shoulders, I took a bite of the hot-dog and relished in the taste. I was pretty good, not Esme good, but decent.

"Have you lived in Forks all your life?" I shook my head and chewed on my food, copying Bella's actions and politely covered my mouth as I spoke.

"No... I just moved here, actually. About 10 days ago." It was pretty awkward, but before we got anywhere close near the conversation I wanted to have we had to get the formalities out of the way. The least they could do was try to get to know me before attempting to convince me that I lived with monsters.

"Really? Where did you live before Forks?" Emily's seemed genuinely interested about me and who I was. I smiled as I answered her questions.

"I lived in Burbank, California."

"California? That's a pretty big move. Mind if I ask why?"

I shook my head. "It just didn't seem like the right place to be anymore. I felt like I needed a change of scenery." I grabbed a napkin and placed my hot-dog on it, pushing it away not really finding the urge to eat anymore.

"What happened to your arm?" The boy Emily had smacked asked as he continued to take large bites from his food, glancing down at my broken arm. Soon everyone aside from Bella was glancing at the cast. "Is it broken?"

Paul, siting on the other side of Jacob, snorted. "No, she just wants to wear it for fun!" I smiled as they began to reach behind Jacob, trying to punch each other on the arm, but one look from Sam made them stop.

"Uh... yeah. I got into a car accident last week."

"We heard there was a big accident in Forks but didn't know if anyone had survived." Emily spoke with a hand over her heart and alarmed expression on her face. From the corner of my eye I could see Jacob shifting around in his seat uncomfortably. He must've just realized that it was my car he had ran in front of and caused to crash.

I decided to test his reactions.

"Yeah, it was really big. The car ended up wrapping around the tree, my side colliding into it. They said it was the worst accident they've seen in a while." Okay, maybe I stretched it. Those words were never spoken to me and I knew the accident could have been a lot worse, but I wanted to see how many buttons I could push before he snapped.

"I was in the hospital for 8 days. They said I had lost so much blood they weren't even sure if there was a chance for me."

"It's a miracle you survived." Emily looked horror-stricken as she looked up at Sam. "Isn't she lucky?"

I looked at Sam as he turned away from his fiance and stared into my eyes, speaking in his deep voice with a grave tone. "She is lucky to have survived." He wasn't talking about the car accident. I looked away, unable to hold onto his tense stare.

I could feel my anxiety beginning to kick in again, my heart be accelerated and did my breathing. I stood up from the table and grabbed my bag. Emily stood up, worry etched into her features.

"Are you okay?" She reached out a hand but I stumbled back, everyone else now looking at me in alarm.

"I'm fine!" I replied breathlessly, holding out hand as a sign for her to sit back down. I could feel myself beginning to panic, images of the wolf replaying in my memory as horrific flashes. I could practically hear the snarls. "I just... I just need some air!" With that I turned around and sprinted out of the house and off the porch heading towards the woods.

I needed to get away from them. I needed to clear my head and find some space to breath. My heart thudded and my chest heaved as I ran into the forest, fleeing the paranoia creep up on my as I began to look around frantically, making sure that there were no wolves.

The tears burned my eyes as I began to slow down, my breathing hoarse. My body protested, trying to keep running in a attempt to distance myself from the threat of danger, but I couldn't go any further. My lungs were already worn out from the screaming and running I had done last night.

With heavy pants I slowed down to a stop, leaning my back against a large, moss covered tree. I tilted my head back, cringing my eyes at the burning I felt in my lungs and throat. The icy Washington air nipped at my exposed skin, cooling me down. Slowly, little by little my breathing began to calm.

I remembered the calming technique Carlisle had taught me one day in the hospital. I closed my eyes and began to focus on my heart and breathing, imagining them in sync and counting to 100.

"One... two... three... four... five... six- "

"...does it help?" I screamed and the pushed myself away from the tree, scrambling back and turning around to come face to face with Jacob Black as he stepped out from behind the tree. My fear immediately converted into anger. How dare he sneak up on my like this.

I dropped my bag onto the floor and marched up to him, fist clenched and grinding my teeth. With all my body weight and might I pressed my hands against his chest and shoved him as hard as I could, crying out in anger as I did.

"You IDIOT!" His back hit the bark of the tree roughly.

"What the hell is your problem?" He shouted as he swatted away my hands that began to slap his furiously. I continued to smack him, refraining from balling my hands into fist for fearing I might break my other arm. My right palm came in contact with his cheek, the slap echoing.

"Will you stop that?!" He grabbed both my wrist careful not to hurt my broken arm as he glared down at me. I began to thrash around trying to break free from his hold. "Stop it!"

"NO!" I screamed and tried to kick him with my foot. "Let me go!" My foot came in contact with his shin. He grunted and glared down at me, releasing a irritated sigh as he let go of my wrist and wrapped an arm around my waist, easily picking me up. I tried to hit him again but he soon had both my wrist in one hand and was pushing me up against the tree, pressing his legs against my own to keep me from kicking him.

"You need to calm down!"

"Got to hell!"

"Look. I don't know what the hell I did to deserve this, but you need to stop!"

"You seriously don't know? How about for nearly ripping me to fucking pieces last night!" I was surprised. I wasn't much for foul language and only used it when I was beyond livid. His eyes widened as he released me, taking a few steps back.

"...what?"

I seethed, glaring up at him as I regained my footing. I panted, staring into his brown orbs with challenging eyes. "You heard me. What about last night? Is that reason enough?" I stepped closer. "Huh?"

He looked away, glaring a squirrel climbed out of a hole in a tree. Jacob began to breath through his nose unevenly.

"... I don't know what you're talking about."

"Really?" I took a step closer and pulled my sleeve over my shoulder, exposing my still fresh wound. A large gash stretched from my collarbone and down towards my shoulder blade. "Because this looks pretty damn familiar to me!" I wanted him to look at it, I wanted him to see what he and his great leader had nearly done. "Look at it! Is this what you do?! Go around and attack innocent people!"

He head snapped towards me, a dark look in his eyes. "No." I let got of my sleeve and walked up to him, stopping mere inches from his face. I was unafraid, driven by my anger and rage.

"Then tell me, does this justify me hitting you, huh?" He didn't answer. Setting his jaw in a lock he looked away. "Are you gonna attack me next time I go out?" I shoved him again. "Huh? How 'bout it Jake, you gonna attack me again?"

"No."

"Are you sure? You positive you're not going to mistake me for one of the Cullens again?" I shoved him again, this time harder. "Huh, Jake!" He looked down at me and glared again, this time his glared was full of hate, a self-loathing hate. I was angered by his silence and shoved him again.

"Stop it."

"No... not until you tell me!" I shoved him again.

"Stop..." His fist began to clench, his eyes closed tight as he began to breath harder through his nose. I paid no mind to the signs and continued to shove him, yelling at him some more. "I. Said. Stop." His voice was dangerously low, a growl in his tone.

I ignored everything he said. I was too angry to focus on anything else as I gave him another hard shove, pushing him against another tree. All I saw was Margaret, hearing her voice calling out to me to find her, begging me to hurry. I was so enraged I didn't notice Jacob's body beginning to tremble.

My yells were caught off by the sounds Jacob was making. I took a step back, eyeing him up and down with my fist still in mid-air. He growled, seeming to be fighting with himself as he bent over, clenching his fist tighter.

"... Jacob?" I reached my hand out suddenly overwhelmed with the urge to help him, but before my hand could come in contact with his skin a voice called out to me.

"Evelyn!" I looked towards the sound of the voice to see Sam running towards me, Bella and the others right behind him, the two boys in their wolf forms. "Jacob, no!" Before I could do anything a solid object knocked into me, the weight of it pushing me onto my back. I slammed into the ground, a loud thud heard at the contact.

Reflectively, I placed my hands over me head protectively. Two heavy objects slammed down on either sighed of my head as a large shadow fell over my eyes. I gasped at the pain and rolled onto my side. My head throbbed as the blood rushed to my head.

Before I could sit up and look around I felt something massive pass over me. I was startled by the large shadow and sat up, looking around frantically before noticing large footprints on the forest floor. I looked up and gasped at the large wolf that started down at me.

"Evelyn!" Bella fell onto her knees next to me and placed her hands on my shoulders, both her voice and expression giving away the worry she felt. "Evelyn. are you okay?!" She began to check me, making sure I wasn't bleeding or hurt in anyway.

I couldn't seem to listen to what she was saying as the large, russet wolf began to pace.

I hissed as Bella's hand passed over my broken arm and pulled away. "I'm sorry! I was just - "

"It's okay, Bella... I'm fine." I breathed as I looked over my cast, feeling my blood run cold at the crack that ran through Emmett's writing.

'Property of Emmett Cullen. You Touch, You Die.'

Shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
sowrongitsemily!: That final comment seriously gave me the chills, thank you for that! Anyways, before Evelyn passed out she caught a glimpse of Jacob as a wolf and Sam, so they were caught. You can't cover that up. As far as Sam knows the Cullens have taken her in. He doesn't know of her situation but just understands that due to an accident she knows of vampires - and now werewolves.

As for romance, you're going to have keep reading to find out.

Thank you guys for reading! I hope I recieve more questions and comments so to inspire me to update! I hope you enjoyed the up!

Please leave love!