Status: Layout Fixed.

Night Call

009

"Doctor, doctor won't you please prescribe something
A day in the life of someone else?
Cuz I'm a hazard to myself ."

Pink - Don't Let Me Get Me


"Bella, I'm fine... stop." I stood up from Sam's couch, holding an ice pack against the back of my head trying to make the swelling of the already growing bump go down. Bella had been pestering me for the last half hour trying to convince me to go to the hospital just in case I had a concussion. I was fine though, she was just overreacting.

"Evelyn, you hit your head really hard. Are you sure you don't want to go to the hospital?" Bella asked, standing from the couch worrying her bottom lip. I was about to retort but was cut off.

"She's right, Evelyn, you might wanna get that checked out." Sam spoke up as he re-entered the living room from the hall. I sighed. I didn't need a doctor, I was fine.

"I'm fine. 'Sides, it's just a bump." I shrugged, turning the ice pack over and placing the colder side against my head. I had been rushed back to the house by Jared and Paul, leaving Sam to deal with Jacob. When I had been brought in Bella was in a panic, asking Emily questions that only a certified doctor would have the answers to. Emily had managed to calm Bella down, but she was still hovering over me.

After setting me down both Paul and Jared seemed to vanish but soon reappeared escorting a melancholy Jacob into the house. He didn't look at anyone as he entered the house and walked into the hall Sam had emerged from. None of the boys spoke of the incident in the woods but gave each other knowing glances.

"What about your arm?"

I looked down at the cast and frowned. There was no way I was going to be able to hid this, even if I was able to wrap gauze over it, Jasper or Edward would be able to sense something was wrong. Part of the reason I didn't want to leave the wolves was so that Alice wouldn't have a vision. I knew that as long as we were near the wolves she couldn't see us. I needed to buy time to come up with a excuse.

I shook my head. "It's fine." What a lie. My arm throbbed, the ache spreading from my wrist up to my shoulder. If felt like it had re-broken, which wouldn't be much of a break since I had injured it only 10 days ago. "I'll just say I fell."

Bella scoffed. "Do you know how hard it is to break those things? You'd have to slam it against concrete to scratch it." She was right. When Jacob shifted he slammed into me so hard the plaster on my cast cracked. It was worse then running into the tree last night. But the cast was still on so the bones were probably still set - I just delayed my healing.

Still, I really didn't want to let any of the Cullens know, especially Emmett.

I removed the ice pack from my numbing neck and placed it over the crack in the cast, wincing at the small amount of pressure. Maybe ice would help with the pain.

Bella sighed and shook her head, walking back to the couch and plopping down onto the cushion. As she did, Emily walked out of the kitchen with a glass of water in one hand and pain medication in the other. I graciously thanked her and popped the pills into my mouth, downing them with the water. These would at least offer some relief.

She walked over to Sam and wrapped her arms around him, resting her head against his chest. He wrapped one arm around her protectively and placed the other against the back of her head, gently digging his hands into her hair.

I knew about the story behind the scars on her face and how they were inflicted. Sam must feel guilty every time he looks at her, knowing he was the one who did that to her. I wondered how Jacob felt. I wasn't his imprint or anything but he had nearly killed me twice in less then 24 hours, three if you include the crash. The guilt must be eating him alive.

I needed to see him.

"Where's Jacob?" Sam looked up from Emily and eyed me suspiciously before nodding his head in the direction of the hall. I looked at Bella who still wore a frown and tossed the ice pack, startling her when the cold, frozen pack hit her. Without giving her a second glance I made my way towards the hall.

The walls were a soft yellow, contrasting well with the wooden picture frames that were hung on the walls. Some looked like family photos while others looked like pictures of the pack and people I didn't recognize. I stopped to look at each one, taking in the faces. It was strange, seeing pictures of Sam's family that I didn't know even existed. I expected only characters Stephanie Meyer wrote to exist. Maybe there was more to this world.

I looked away from the photos continued my journey, glancing at the doors. There were to on each side and one at the end of the hall. I started with the one to my right, opening the white door to discover that it was only the bathroom. I closed it and moved onto the next one which ended up being a empty bedroom. The next to begin a closet and another vacated room.

The left the one at the end of the hall.

I approached the door slowly, careful not to make to much noise as I eyed it warily, unsure of what I was going to say when I opened it. Nervousness crept up onto me, inching slowing across my neck and into my chest. Surprisingly enough no anxiety was felt. At least I wasn't going to freak out again.

With a quick shake to rid myself of nerves I grasped the faded, silver doorknob and twisted it, slowly pushing it open. It creaked and groaned as it slid against the carpeted floor. I peeked inside the room.

It was a simple room. White walls, a king sized bed pressed against the center of the wall near the door; across from it was a brown, six drawed dresser that was slightly chipped. The carpet of was a soft beige and like the rest of the house, it gave off a homey scent.

Sitting at the end of the large bed was Jacob, bent over with his elbows rested on his knees and his faced buried in his hands. His shoulders rose and fell as he breathed, quiet and still; motionless to my presence. I stepped into the room and closed the door behind me; I needed privacy with him.

"Uh... hey." I shifted my weight on my feet, placing my hand over my cast and cradling it. I stepped further into the room, biting the corner of my bottom lip; taking the flesh between my teeth and chewing on it nervously. With a small voice I asked: "...you okay?" His shoulders began to shake, smalls whimpers floating into the air. Was he crying? "...Jacob?"

I took another step closer, inching my way towards him until I was about a foot away. I stared down at him with worried eyes. What was I supposed to do? Hug him? Give him a pat on the head?

I reached out my hand and placed it on his shoulder.

"Hey, you okay?" He shook his head and with trembling shoulders lifted his head. What I saw was not what I was expecting. A large smile was plastered across his face and his eyes squinted as he chuckled. Why in the world was he laughing? "What's so funny?"

He continued to chuckle.

I didn't get it. What was so funny?

"Jake?"

"Stop." He laughed, shaking his shoulders and sitting up, the smile still on his face. "Just stop."

"Stop what?" I raised a confused eyebrow at him.

"Stop asking if I'm okay." He sighed and closed his eyes, the smile falling from his face as he opened his eye again and casted them downwards. He frowned and pressed the index finger and thumb into his eyes; stressed.

I didn't know what to say. I couldn't tell him that everything was okay and it wasn't his fault because we both knew it was a lie. It was very much his fault - I just refused to rub it in. The thoughts in his head must have been torture enough, I didn't need to add more.

I retracted my hand and placed it over my cast, gently rubbing it subconsciously.

"... how's your arm?"

"Hmm?" I looked down at Jacob and then down at my cast. Right, it cracked. I shrugged and pulled it against my chest, worried that if I didn't keep it close I bump it into a wall. "It's fine, just... sore."

He sighed deeply and stood up. I took a step back when I realized just how close he was. Without looking at my face he gently removed my hand from the cast and began to examine it, tracing his fingers over the cracked plaster. I watched his fingers slide over the ink from the pen, his thumb linger over the word 'Die'.

For some reason looking at Jacob feel down made my heart heavy. I wanted to comfort him. I was perplexed. Why did I have to feel so damn emotional.

"I'm sorry... I shouldn't have done that." He shook his head sadly. "I should have kept my anger under control. I could have killed you..." I couldn't take it anymore. This depressed Jacob was beginning to wear me and and it saddened me to see him so down; it hurt to see anyone one down.

"You didn't. I'm fine - see," I pointed at myself with my right hand. "No harm done."

"That doesn't matter. It's not what did happen but what could have happened." He released my cast and took a step back, sitting down on the edge of the bed again. He dark, brown eyes bore into my own intently. "I nearly killed you."

"But you didn't, Jacob! As much as I don't want to say this, it's not entirely your fault. I was egging you on, I kept pushing and pushing. If anything I should be held responsible as well."

"You won't be. You didn't know what could happen if one of us became to angry. You didn't know that would happen." I felt guilty for making him think I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I picked a fight with him. I knew exactly what I was doing. I knew what could have happened if I pushed him too far. I was so enraged that I had completely forgotten that Jacob was a werewolf and treated him like a regular guy.

I couldn't tell him, though. Jacob and the pack had no clue about what was really going on. They didn't know that I wasn't just some girl that was hurt in a accident and taken in - they didn't know the truth. As far as they knew the only reason I know about them being werewolves was because they nearly killed me last night.

But I've known for a long time. As much as I wanted to tell Jacob that I knew everything I had to keep a low-profile and act as if I didn't know anything about them or their legends; I had to remain oblivious.

"Look, Jacob, it- "

"Do you know what could have happened if I did kill you?" The seriousness in his voice kept me held fast in place. The look in his eyes, the fear, scared me. "We would have breached the treaty - it would have allowed a war between the Cullens and us. If I killed you I would have betrayed everything - everything we stood to protect." He sighed and ran a hand through his choppy, black hair. "We were made to protect, not kill - not innocent humans."

Nothing I said would have made a difference. He was stuck on it.

I took the last step closer to the bed and sat down, my small hand on his shoulder. We sat there in silence, my hand on his shoulder and his head in his hands. It felt strange rubbing his shoulder when he was shirtless. His skin was so hot.

The door groaned as it was pushed open and Bella's head peeked into the room.

"Hey." I pulled my hand away from his shoulder and placed it in my lap.

"It's time to go."

What? We had only been here for a while, two hours the most. Was it already time to leave? I hadn't even gotten the chance to speak with Sam about last night or interrogate Jacob about the night of the accident.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, Sam says he needs to meet up with the rest of the pack and Emily is heading to the store." Damn. I'd have to come back another time then. I glanced down at my cast and frowned. I don't think the Cullens would let me come back after this. I had come to receive an apology and instead I was nearly killed a second time. I knew it wouldn't sit well with them.

I sighed and stood up from the bed. "Alright then." Jacob stood up from the bed as well and smiled sadly at me, reaching his hand out for me to shake.

"I guess I'll see you later."

I took his fiery hand into mine and shook it. "Yeah. Guess so." I returned his sad smile and walked passed Bella who stepped aside, allowing me to walk in and down the hall. Sam, Emily, Paul and Jared stood around in the living room.

"Later." Jared waved. I said goodbye to him and gave Emily a small hug. When Bella stepped out of the hall we both made our way outside, Sam and Paul following us.

"Do you want one of us to follow you?" Sam asked as he stopped in front of the truck, Paul stepped next to him and folded his arms over his chest.

"We'll be fine, thanks though." Sam nodded his head and waved goodbye to us, Paul doing the same as Bella started the truck. I climbed into it and strapped on my seat belt, wondering what was going to happen once we left the wolves.

What was Alice going to see?

Image

As we neared the treaty line I could see two cars parked just on the other side: a silver Volvo and a large, silver Jeep with a black top.

Edward and Emmett.

My pulse quickened. What were they going to do? Did they know it was Jacob that had hurt me?

I looked over at Bella worried. She looked just as nervous and glanced over at me. We both looked out the windshield as we approached the line, coming to a stop once we passed it. In a flash Emmett was at my door and had it open, a serious look on his face as he looked me over.

"What happened?"

I shook my head. "Nothing! I-I just fell." His nostrils flared as he continued to examine me searching for some sign of harm. His eyes landed on my cast and he glared at it.

"Let me see your arm."

I didn't want to show him. I was afraid of what he was going to do when he saw the crack in the cast. I remembered the entire incident; the fear, pain and shock. Instantly Edward was next to Emmett, the same glare on his face as he looked down at my cast.

"Evelyn..." Edward's spoke with a warning. "Show us your arm." A knot began to form in my throat and I shook my head, pulling my casted arm closer to my chest, cradling it. Tears welled in my eyes as Edward reached over my and gently pried my hand off of the cast. I couldn't let them see it.

I whimpered and tried to pull it away.

"Evelyn. Please." He pleaded. Against my will he used his strength to carefully pulled my left hand and turned it around, revealing Emmett's writing and the large crack going through it.

"I'm gonna kill him." Emmett growled as his eyes darkened. His normally beautiful topaz eyes turned black, his lips pulling over his teeth as he bared them. I felt frightened, my anxiety returning full force. "He's dead."

No!

"I-It was an accident!" I pleaded, reaching out to Emmett with tearful eyes. "Please..." My voice began to crack. "Please, Emmett. H-He didn't mean to... it was my fault!" I replayed the entire thing over in my head, hoping Edward was listening in on my memory. I made sure to focus on the things I was saying and how much I was shoving and pushing.

"Evelyn..." Edward's voice was full of disappointment, shock and concern disrupted his beautiful features. "What were you thinking? You could have gotten yourself killed. You almost did!"

"I know!" I cried, ashamed of myself. "I'm sorry - please don't hurt him!"

Emmett continued to seethe, trying his best to remain under control as he listened to what Edward was saying and watching me cry. "What happened?"

Edward looked away from me and spoke to Emmett with a grave tone of voice. "Evelyn challenged Jacob and tried to pick a fight with him. She caused him to phase near her, knocking her to the floor and nearly killing her."

"EVELYN!" Emmett boomed. "What the hell were you thinking?! Wasn't last night enough?!" He was furious at me. I shrank back into the seat and cried. I was so ashamed of myself. At the time it had seemed like a good idea to try to make Jacob mad, I hadn't realized the danger I was in.

Edward placed a calming hand on Emmett's shoulder to keep him from yelling at me some more.

"Stop it, Emmett! She already feels bad enough, she doesn't need you yelling at her too!" Bella snapped at Emmett and glared at him. I felt my cries begin to come out as hiccups, my shoulders jerking upwards every time my breath hitched in my throat.

"If I see that mangy wolf again I'm going to kill him." Emmett growled in frustration and tore himself away from Edward, stomping back towards his Jeep and climbing back into it, slamming the door shut. Edward looked back down at me and sighed.

"Bella, can you drop Evelyn off at the house?" Bella nodded and turned the key that was in the ignition, reviving the old truck. Edward gave me one last glance before telling me to buckle my seat belt and closing the door. I silently cried as I did what I was told.

"Hey..." Bella placed a hand on my shoulder. "It's okay. The same thing happened to me once." New Moon. Bella had confronted Sam and the others and accused them of changing Jacob, angering Paul and causing him to phase. Our situations were similar yet so different.

When Bella had slapped Paul she didn't know that he was going to phase or could phase, plus, she was standing several feet away and had Sam to warn her to back up. I knew what I was getting myself into when I attacked Jacob. I had also been standing so close that if one of his claws had caught me I would have surely died from the injuries.

I was reckless.

What if I had died and what if the treaty had been broken? Would the Cullens have declared war on them? I knew Emmett would, he'd probably try to take on all the wolves himself.

I stared out of the window the entire drive back to the house, wondering what would be waiting for me when I got there. I already knew that Rosalie was probably going to verbally attack me and accuse me of nearly starting a war - twice. I didn't want to hear Carlisle's lecture on safety and trying to maintain the peace. I knew he was going to scold me and remind me of my near-death experiences. Alice, I knew was going to do the same. But there was one person I really didn't want to see.

Esme.

I didn't want to see the disappointment on her face when she found out. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt or worry her. I didn't want her fearing for my life, especially after this morning. In mere hours we had grown so close.

I didn't want to lose what I had with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you guys for the comments! I'm glad you liked it. I hadn't realized how dramatic I wrote the last chapter. When I read over it I was like: Daaamn, shit got real! Haha :D

She didn't get to have 'The Talk' with Jacob, but don't worry, it will happen soon.

WolfGirl96: Glad I could quench your thirst :D

sowrongitsemily!: I missed your other questions! The first few were answered but as for the others: Bella isn't as well informed as the Cullens and only knows what Evelyn tells her. The Cullens are respecting her secret and letting her be the one to tell her when she's ready. As for the pack, I'm not sure when they're going to find out. Way later though, that's all I can tell you. Glad you liked the update!

I hope you guys enjoyed the update! I'll have the next one up real soon!

Until then, please leave love!