Sparkling Diamonds

Rooftop Decisions.

I don't know what had happened but I found myself on the roof of the apartment building. My dress had been ripped to shreds around me, only pieces of fabric barley covering the places that needed to be. My mind was swirling and I didn't know what to do.

A smash made me nearly jolt out of my skin as I looked slowly down to the ground just beside me. It was the wine glass that I had been holding from the party. It's contents, some sort of ridiculously expensive champagne, now mingled amongst the shards of broken glass and the dirt and grit that covered the rooftop.

I turned back to the city before me. A beautiful London by night was something that shouldn't be missed. The lights of the city twinkled like stars, mingling against one another and hosting so many bodies that I couldn't even start to comprehend.

I could hear James' voice calling, singing to me from the abyss down below. It just seemed like a bit of darkness and if I fell, oblivion would catch me. I would be safe in it's arms and forever wrapped in James' singing. I looked down, my breathing deepening...

And that's when I heard Ben's voice. I didn't have to look around to know where he was or what he was feeling. It was so clear to me that it almost threw me off the edge.

"What are you doing up here?" I heard him ask, his voice rippling within my ears and making me nauseas. "How did you get up here?"

My throat tensed up, not letting me speak. Only listen.

Tears threatened my eyes and the hairs on my arms standing up on edge as I leaned forward from the ledge. Standing there, I felt like I was dying right on the spot. It was so cold and dark and I was so enraptured in my own mind that I couldn't possibly have felt or comprehended anything else.

"Come to me, my darling," James called from down below. "I miss you."

I made a choking sound, knowing that my air would soon evaporate. I was on a very limited time schedule here and I had to make a decision. James seemed so enticing and my body craved him, despite how my mind argued. It had been long enough and I had to be reunited with him. If it wasn't now, it would be in my death.

"Di, don't do this," I heard Benedict say with the ever slightest touch of love that I needed to bring me back from the edge. His voice stopped me from letting myself go completely over the side of the building. "You were nothing without him before. With the pain of guilt of doing what you loved and him restricting you to what he though, you thought, you deserved. You are so much better then that, now. You have people who actually love you."

"He loves me," I managed to choke out, but at great cost. My throat was constricting tighter around my neck.

"He doesn't love you," Benedict said, standing immediately behind me. I could feel his soft breath dancing upon my bare neck. I knew he wanted to touch me, to pull me back from the edge, but he was holding back. He wanted me, I knew, but in that moment, I didn't realise how much. "More people need you here, alive, then dead in his arms. You will find no solution in death. Only an endless torture of James breaking at your skin for eternity. Do you want that?"

My face screwed up against the pressure and constriction around my neck. I wanted to scream but I knew that would kill me.

"I love you."

And that was all that I could remember.
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like such a bad person leaving this fic hanging for so long. I could give you all these excuses from Uni taking over my life for the last six months to forgetfulness to pure laziness. I just hope that you accept my apology and enjoy these last few chapters.