Kerosine and Desire

Cancer Free

Once we get done with our "adventure" and being lost, we go to Ricky's house. It was a lot of fun getting lost with Ricky. We always have fun together.
We are attacked by Lilly and Dustin when we walk through the door of Ricky's house.
Lilly and Dustin are Ricky's younger siblings. They're eight-years-old feternal twins. Both are very sweet, but Ricky thinks otherwise.
I'm an only child and going over to Ricky's makes me feel like we're the older twin siblings to Lilly and Dustin.
Ricky's house is so much morefun than mine is. So many things going on all at once. And best of all, it's cancer free.
As far as I know, no one here knows about my condition. Which is great!
Here, at Ricky's, no one treats me like I'm an infant; like I can't do anything by myself. I can be me here. I can be cancer free.
"Jennavive," Sherrie exclaims, walking up and hugging me. I hug her back.
Sherrie is a few inches shorter than me. But Mike, Ricky's dad, is about a whole foot taller, it seems. Ricky is tall, like his dad. Mike is 6'8" or something like that, and Ricky is 6'5". Sherrie is 5'11". I am 6'2".
Sherrie breaks the hug, a smile still on her face. She glances from me to Ricky, and the back again. Ricky and I exchange a glance then look back at his mom.
"Yeah?" Ricky asks slowly.
Sherrie doesn't reply right away. She looks thoughtful.
"Oh, nothing." She pauses. "You two just look like you're hungry."
Ricky and I don't say anything. This is the first-step to Sherrie making cookies. She does this everytime I come over. My mom does the same when Ricky comes over.
"I'll go make up a snack for everyone," Sherrie tells us, half turning and pointing towards the kitchen.
"Cookies." Ricky says. It's not a question.
The smile leaves Sherrie's face. She wasn't expecting him to know. She never is.
"No." The smile comes back to her face. "I'm preparing something different for you kids. Something secretive," she says, going into the kitchen.
"She's not going to make chocolate chip cookies, but chocolate chip cupcakes," Ricky whispers in my ear.
I smile, knowing that he is probably right. If it's not cookies, it's cupcakes. Our moms are very easy to predict. Especially when it come to cooking.
"Jennavive! Let's play dolls," Lilly exclaims, pulling me by my wrist towards her room.
I look at Ricky and mouth "Help!"
"Lilly, we were going to listen to music," Ricky says wuickly, making up an excuse.
"Not anymore! Jennavive is my friend now!" Lilly snaps back at him.
I swear, if looks could kill, Ricky would be dead in an instant.
Ricky puts his hands up in mock defeat.
"Okay, she'll be my friend later," he says, still smiling.
"Unless this friend of everyone leaves," I tease.
"You won't." Ricky says, his thimbs now hooked on his front pockets. "We're having lasagna for dinner. Your favorite."
Dammit. My weakness.
In response, I pplayfully stick my tongue out at him, making him chuckle, before Lilly and I disappear into her room.