Save You Tonight

Chapter IX

It didn’t take long for me to come to the conclusion that when one first enters a relationship, there is a lot of kissing. Being a more reserved person in almost everything I did, I surprised myself as I lip-locked with Harry inside a small bakery just a few blocks down from my flat.

The young girl from behind the counter stood paralyzed with a star struck gaze. She cleared her throat and managed to barely squeak out, “Excuse me, would you like to try the new apple tart?”

Harry turned himself to face the girl, advancing toward the counter with his usual friendly grin upon his face. “Hello there. How about we get two, one for each of us.”

As he gestured toward me, the small brunette’s eyes followed the motion. Once her big brown eyes were on me, they were stuck there. Despite her getting our pastries, she continued to hold eye contact with me. I started to feel uncomfortable, but felt at ease when Harry shot me a look, widening his eyes ever so slightly and holding back the laughter.

At the register, she finally broke the uncomfortable silence. “Are… are you Maya?”

I gulped down a sickening feeling that erupted upward inside of me. Time was up. The secret was truly out. The masses knew about me and there was nothing I could do, making me wonder how the CIA would take my new fame. It worried me how I hadn’t heard much from anyone in that department of my life. I still hadn’t seen Cameron since the night I had met Harry, which made every suit on the street send me into a paranoid state.

“Yes,” I breathed out, hoping I didn’t come across as mean to the girl. I didn’t want a bad reputation as a snotty celebrity girlfriend. Harry handed her several more pounds than what the pastries were worth and shot her his best “fan-smile,” as I liked to call it. Her expression melted into one of admiration, continuing to thank him as we bid her a good day.

Once on the street, he looked at me hesitantly. “Cat’s really outta the bag, eh? I thought everyone forgot about us.”

“It seems so. I believe tumblr and twitter are to blame. Shit travels like wildfire. There was a lull there after the article in the Sun and I thought that they might see the end of it, but clearly we’re still a couple to them,” I told him, rolling my eyes and taking a bite of the delicious apple tart.

He snorted with amusement. “Maya… we are still a couple to us, correct?”

My lips curled into a smile as I focused on the way he said “us.” But then I realized what I had actually said, immediately feeling grateful that he wasn’t offended by my statement. “Well, yes. I still can’t believe you asked me to be your girlfriend in a cemetery of all places.”

Harry stumbled jokingly as I punched his arm. “Shut it, the whole thing was quite romantic. I’m very good at finding spots like that. Which is why…”

He trailed off, leaving me hanging on his words, but I followed his gaze across the street at men with cameras. “Oh, god,” I groaned, turning to hide my face.

“Alright, if they want a couple, we officially are now, so let’s give them what they want,” Harry said as he pulled me close and kissed me. I might have been in new-relationship mode and comfortable with kissing in a small bakery, but I was still the same Maya, so I pushed him away roughly.

“Harry, come on. Not out on the streets. Damn it, those pictures are going to be everywhere.”

I felt my fighting spirit boiling beneath me, but I held it back. He grinned slyly, muttering something along the lines of “that’s my girl,” but apologized sincerely and audibly. I felt my previous adoration for him come back quickly, seeing as that he knew how to back away from my ninja moves. Harry held my hand as we tried to discreetly make our way back to his flat for his day off from radio interviews and other engagements, but as we walked, people stared. I was extremely uncomfortable with all the attention, seeing as that I had gone from being practically invisible to being gawked at by countless people. But this was my life now and I would just have to accept that as long as I was dating Harry Styles, I would get noticed.

In the time that I had been friends with him, I felt my powers become unnecessary. No longer was I going to the gym to work on my fighting techniques, but rather spending my time with all the people I was meeting through the group of five special boys. My shape shifting came in handy, but I found myself attempting to actually be normal and blow dry my hair, as well as manually apply makeup. I could easily move around water and control it whenever I wanted to, but being around people all the time stopped my practicing.

It was fascinating how I was becoming that girl who was so different to everyone else, yet all the concentration on my wonderful differences gave me a longing to be more average. The team around the band even praised for being a unique character, but that just made me want to be more like everyone else. I couldn’t explain it. For a majority of my life, I had been pushed into the shadows, constantly told how much of a freak I was, so it was odd to have people actually like me.

“They’ll be outraged, you know,” Harry said aloud as we entered his flat. Louis emerged from the kitchen and nodded to me.

“What’ll they outrage upon, Harold?” Louis asked, mocking his best friend and turning his back on us to run to the couch and leap on it. I had extra strength in my DNA, but I was certain I could never have the amount of energy that Louis had.

“That I have a girlfriend now and that her name isn’t Louis Tomlinson,” Harry retorted, his face as serious as possible. I laughed, but Louis averted his eyes to the cushion, trying to come up with something to say back.

The sass meter was climbing in his features and he finally cut his eyes back to my curly-haired boyfriend. “I am now withholding sex. You’re sleeping on the sofa tonight. Good day to you both.”

“Yeah, yeah. I gotta girl now, Boo Bear, so I won’t be needing your services,” Harry shot back quickly, pulling me toward his bedroom.

“You can’t resist this ass!” Louis called after us, Harry shutting the door behind us. He hurled himself onto his bed and patted the space next to him.

As much as I loved the banter, I couldn’t help but worry about his last statement. Would he be expecting certain things out of me? I knew Harry was joking around with Louis, but the pressure of being a girlfriend started to take its toll. Obviously I had never done such things before, and it wasn’t like I didn’t want to, but it still had me fretting over what his expectations were.

“I gotta ask,” Harry began, a smile on his face as he pulled me close to him and placed a kiss on my forehead. Did he read my mind? Was he going to give me the talk? “As you know, we’re going on tour soon. And there’s so many press appearances we gotta make. But I was… well, I was wondering if you'd like to go on a bit of a holiday with me? Before I’m off ‘round the world again. A couple weeks, just us, in some place like Hawaii or… or wherever you want.”

At first, I was touched by the offer. I didn’t know how to respond, because I was so appreciative to have someone who was willing to take me anywhere I wanted to go. But then I got to thinking, and expressing those thoughts. “Harry, I appreciate it. I really do. I want to go spend time with you, but- but, well… I’m worried that being alone will mean that you expect me to put out.”

His cheeks flushed and he let out a laugh, biting his lip and showing his dimples. As he did this, I admired his features. There was no doubt that I was physically attracted to him. Everything about him made me feel things I had never felt before, but turning those thoughts into actions terrified me. The way his muscles flexed as he tightened his arms around me for a reassuring squeeze made me realize that sooner or later, action would happen.“You don’t have to do anything you don’t wanna do.”

“But the thing is… I want to.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I will attempt to crank another chapter out soon, but we'll see. Lots of training going on right now for my big horse show. A big thank you to all my subscribers! I love comments, so drop me a line if you will. :)