Status: Rewritten

Simply Meant To Be

I'm Not Okay

It was finally Friday and I was grateful for the weekend to finally be here. I hung out with the guys most of my first week but I was exhausted. I am always alone most of my life and now hanging out with three other guys was taking a toll. I was glad, though, to have them around but today I needed a chance to be by myself and so I hung out in the library during my lunch period.

I took a seat towards a little corner of the room and started to sketch a few of my characters for a comic book idea I had. I was so concentrated on my work that I failed to see Gerard come over and sit right across from me. I heard him clear his throat and I whipped my head out of my sketch and into his hazel eyes.

I jumped a little from shock because his face was mere inches from my face and I heard him chuckle from my embarrassment. I shyly grinned and began to put my stuff away.

“Wait, Alice, what are you working on?”

“Oh just a little idea I had for a comic,” I said as I glanced at the clock telling me lunch would end soon.

“Can I see?”

“Umm not yet okay. I have an idea though for our art project,” I said as the bell rang signaling the end of lunch. “I’ll tell you in class.”

I rushed to put my things inside my bag. I gave Gerard a wave and hurriedly walked out.

Now I didn’t like showing people my work in progress. It gave people a first impression of my work that might be different from the final product. I was a little weird but I hoped people would understand. I dragged my feet up the stairs and into the art room. I was the first one there and waved to Faye who was talking to another student from the previous class.

I opened up my notebook and began to write the concept of the comic. I heard the chair scrape by my side and saw dark hair on my right from the corner of my eyes. I looked over and saw Gerard sitting there zoning out. I went to poke his shoulder.

“You alright there Gerard?”

He folded his arms on the table and rested his head on them. He looked over at me and said, “Don’t you sometimes feel that life is too mundane; that repetition and routine are taking over your life and it’s a fucking cycle you can’t get out of?”

I cocked my head and looked down at him.

“Why do you ask that? You have great friends and you are such a good artist."

“That's just it. I’m a nobody and I sometimes doubt my abilities. I don't feel like I'll get anywhere in life with just art,” he said.

Right as I was going to contradict him, the teacher called everyone’s attention and I wasn’t able to talk to Gerard that whole period. We were moved to opposite sides and I kept looking over at him. He went back to his old self but deep down I felt he was breaking down.

It was seconds before the bell rang and I quickly went to Gerard’s side and whispered in his ear, “You aren’t a nobody. You are an amazing artist, brother and friend.”

He turned around and I smiled at him. The bell rang and I gave Gerard my number.

“Call me if you ever want to talk okay?” I said to him as I made my way out of the classroom and into the hallway. I pushed my way to my locker and found Frank standing by my locker. It was really sweet of him to come over and I guess he liked my company.

We went outside and I felt chills running up my arms. I pulled my jacket tighter and tried my hardest not to freeze to death. Frankie must have noticed and put his jacket on my shoulders. I smiled kindly at him. He pulled my hand and we ran all the way back to my house.

“Geez Reeds you are such a slowpoke."

“Shut it Iero. I’m not the one huffing and puffing from a few feet of running,” I grinned at him.

“Damn cigarettes. I need to stop smoking them,” he said after he caught his breath.

I laughed and unlocked the door to my house. My mom left a note saying she will be gone for the whole week and so I was yet again left alone. I didn’t mind but sometimes I wish we can spend more time together.

I sighed and let Frank take over the couch in the living room.

“Popcorn and movie tonight then, Mr. Iero?”

“You know it Ali,” he responded as he turned on the TV and went to find a movie to watch.

I started the popcorn and soon went to go sit by his side and watch the film.

“What movie is it?” I asked and right after I said those words I saw the credits for Casablanca pop up.

“Aww Frankie I didn’t know you were such a romantic,” I teased as I poked his side.

He grinned and I settled next to him. I haven’t watched this film in a awhile but I loved Humphrey Bogart’s performance with Ingrid Bergman. It was such a stellar movie.

We were nearing the ending when my phone vibrated in my pocket. It said unknown number and I left it to go straight to voicemail. It was a habit of mine and I found it quite useful when telemarketers called.

“Who was that?” Frank asked as he went to go grab a blanket from the other couch.

“Eh I don’t know. I left it to go to voicemail.”

He nodded and soon was snoring lightly on my couch. My phone vibrated again and saw I had a text.

Hey Alice it’s me Gerard. I tried calling but are you busy tonight?

It was six o’clock already and right as I was about to respond back Frank’s phone started to ring. He woke up groggily and answered his mom, presumably.

“Yeah I’ll be right there. Love ya,” he said as he ended the call, “Hey Alice so my mom wants me home for dinner. Wanna come over and hang out in my place?”

I was tempted to go but I had a gut feeling something was up with Gerard so I declined Frank’s offer.

I could see a hint of disappointment in his eyes but it soon faded away and he gave me a cheesy grin and gave me a hug as he left.

I took out my cell phone and replied, No I’m not

A few seconds later he replied, Okay do want to go for a walk with me?

Sure, I’m up for it

Okay where do you live? I’ll come pick you up in a few minutes

I gave him my address and went upstairs to grab a heavier jacket and my bag.

I heard the door bell ring and I grabbed my stuff and bolted out the door. Gerard was standing in the porch with dark jeans and a dark collared shirt. His hair was a mess though but he simply gave me a smile when I looked at him.

“Hey,” I said to him under the porch light.

“Hey, sugar. Ready for a little tour of Jersey?” he said with a half smile on his face and extended his arm out. I nodded and took his arm and we left for a little park a little ways by my house.

It was getting dark and not many kids were there. I saw a pair of swings and took off running for them.

Gerard laughed as I almost tripped on a rock but I recovered and gave him the finger. I took the swing on the right and Gerard followed suit on the left. We sat there for a few minutes and I looked up at the stars starting to appear.

“Did you mean what you said Alice?” I heard Gerard say as he was swinging back and forth.

I stared at him confused.

“After class, you really meant that?”

“Yeah I did, Gerard. I truly believe you are meant for something big in this world and I don’t want you to think you are a nobody,” I replied as I looked at him.

He seemed a little taken aback but he got up and pulled me up to his chest for a hug. I was a little shocked but I soon hugged him back.

“Thank you Alice. I’m glad someone believes in me. You truly are an extraordinary girl,” he said to me.

I smiled back and soon we started walking back home. I was exhausted and soon was leaning into Gerard’s shoulder as he kept talking about some ideas he has for our art project.

He invited me to his home but I politely told him maybe tomorrow was a better day to hang out. He nodded and told he’ll call me in the morning. I waved goodbye to him and laughed as he almost hit the edge of the fence. He sheepishly grinned and kept walking home. I closed my door and headed upstairs for some much deserved rest. I hit the pillow and soon found myself in a pleasant dream.

I woke up on Saturday to the ringing of my phone. I looked over and saw I had a text from Gerard. He wanted to know if I was available to meet at the park in an hour or so. I checked the time and saw it was nearing noon already. I immediately woke up and replied back that I’ll see him soon.

I never woke up that late. I guess my lack of regular sleep has caught up to me. I went to the bathroom and took a shower. I stepped out a few minutes later, got dressed and went downstairs for some food before heading over.

I made coffee and grabbed a piece of toast as I sat down and turned on the TV. I stopped at some random reality show and finished my toast and coffee. I grabbed my things and headed out towards the park. The sky was cloudy but still bright enough that sunglasses came as a reprieve from the sun’s rays.

I got there a few minutes later and I saw Gerard sitting by one of the benches on the other side. He saw me coming and stood up and stomped out his cigarette. He had sunglasses on and he pulled me into a hug. I wasn’t used to the familiar contact but he smelled so good that I returned the hug as well.

He took my hand and we headed into the forest by the park. He found a clearing and I sat down with my back against a tree. He sat down next to me and I pulled out my notebook.

“So I have an idea for our project, Gerard. I have some sort of comic book idea of four masked vigilantes going against a big government/pharmaceutical industry. This industry has been developing drugs to make the world a better place but all they do is make the person who takes them become immune to feelings. They are colorless souls. These vigilantes or 'killjoys' as I like to call them try to defeat the corporation, Better Living Industries and ‘cause chaos in Battery City. They try to bring color and life into the lives of its citizens,” I said to Gerard. He looked over and he gave me a smile.

“I love it Alice. Do you have any sketches of the killjoys?” he said as he scooted closer to me.

I eagerly opened my sketchpad and showed him four guys in colorful clothing. One had bright red hair, another had long black hair, another had long, curly brown hair and the last had long, blond hair on top with shaved brown hair on the sides. They all had some sort of mask and ray gun with their signature color.

“I haven’t thought of any names yet but we can work on them now,” I said to Gerard as he started flipping through the rest of my pad.

“I can definitely see the desert of California and the colorless Battery City. I do think this will turn out great,” he said smiling at me when he finished looking through.

I blushed and thanked him for the compliment.

He laughed at my embarrassment and suggested we go to his house so he can start coming up with names and such. I agreed and he led the way to his house.

It turned out he didn’t live too far from me so we arrived at his house in a few minutes.

“Welcome to Casa Way, Miss Reeds,” he said as he turned to key on the lock and stepped through the doorway.

I looked around and it was a humble house full of warmth and family trinkets. I felt so at peace with the walls covered in family portraits. I always felt my home to be bare and now it felt so right to be in this household.

I heard a voice come from the kitchen and out came Gerard’s mother.

“Mom I want to introduce you to Alice Reeds,” Gerard said to his mom.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Way,” I said as I started to extend my hand for a shake. She shook hands and gave me a hug in the process.

“Please call me Donna. I sound so old with Mrs. Way,” she said after the hug.

“Alright mom, I’m taking Alice to my room to work on our art project,” Gerard said as he started to pull me down the hall.

“Okay Gee, I’ll call you guys for some food then and Alice it’s a pleasure meet you,” she said to me.

“Likewise, Mrs…uh Donna,” I said over my shoulder as Gerard started pulling on my arm as we headed down to the basement. It turned out he had the whole basement as his room.

His room was filled with action figures and comics scattered all throughout. Sketches, drawings and paintings covered the walls as well as band posters. He only had a small window as a source of light but to me this room felt so much like Gerard. I stood by the door and Gerard motioned to his bed as I went to take a seat.

“Yeah sorry for the mess. I wasn’t planning on having anyone over today,” he said sheepishly as pink dotted his cheeks.

I chuckled, “It’s alright Gee.” He continued to blush and tried to pick up some clothes off the ground and toss them into a corner of the room. He finally pulled out a sketchpad and went to his desk to start drawing.

I looked and on his bed was a drawing of a couple. It looked vaguely familiar and I knew it was a replica of the portrait I gave to Frank. I saw some words scribbled on it. And there's no room in this hell, there's no room in the next, and our memories defeat us…

“You like this Alice? I drew it after seeing something similar to it in Frank’s room. I didn’t ask him who did it but it was amazing when I first saw it. I definitely drew inspiration from it,” Gerard said as he made his way to the bed.

“It’s definitely puts the original to shame Gerard. I actually drew it and gave it to Frank when he came over,” I said as I was mesmerized by the color of the blood on the faces of the two lovers.

“No fucking way! You did that? Man, Alice it’s so beautiful,” he said looking straight into my eyes with pure admiration.

I blushed but thanked him, nonetheless, and asked him what he was working on. He grabbed his pad and explained to me the names of each killjoy I came up with.

“So there’s Party Poison, the leader of these vigilantes, umm Fun Ghoul, Kobra Kid and Jet Star. Here’s a little sketch of each killjoy insignia,” he said excitedly. As he kept showing me his designs for each character and how BLI employees might look like, the door opened and in came Frank, and Mikey.

“ALICE!!” Frank yelled as he came running and crushed me into a hug and landed on top of me lying on Gee’s bed.

“Frank, get off of me. You’re crushing my ribs and you’re so heavy,” I tried to say as I wiggled out of his embrace.

“I am not heavy,” he said with a huff and crossed his arms as he settled down next to me.

I laughed and waved to Mikey.

Time flew by as we started talking and playing video games. Soon we heard Donna yell at us to come down for dinner.

As we went upstairs, I could smell the wonderful lasagna. They all sat down at the table and ate the delicious food. Gerard and Mikey's dad was already there and I was promptly introduced. We all made small talk and I felt trulyhappy as I smiled at Gerard, who sat across from me as we finished eating.

I offered to help clean up but Donna insisted on me doing no such thing. I noticed it was getting dark outside and so I told Gerard and the rest of the guys I would leave.

“I’ll walk you home, Ali,” Frank said as he stood up from the couch and went to grab him jacket from the door. I thanked him and Gerard walked us out to the driveway.

He gave me a hug and said I was welcome into his home anytime. I smiled and waved him goodbye as Frank and I started our walk home.

“So what were you and Gerard doing for your art project?” Frankie asked as he lit up a cigarette and blew out the smoke.

“Oh well it’s a little comic about a group of friends fighting against this totalitarian corporation,” I said. Frank walked me down to mine.

I opened the door and turned around to say thanks to Frank when he startled me and pulled me into a kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well I've updated again! There wasn't too much change from the original. I'm working on a new story, also a Gerard fic so go check it out! It's called This Could Be Love. Thanks to Santi Santi for commenting and check her stories out!

Comments are always welcomed and appreciated!

xo Venganza!