Status: Complete!

We Will Make This Work

Small Bump

As I sat on the bed in the doctors office, the fear started to set in. I was only twenty five years old, which is old enough to have a baby, but I had always said I would be married before bringing a child into this world. I always felt that if I wasn't married and the relationship didn't work out, that it would ruin the child's life. When I was growing up, I saw how much love my parents had for each other, but they never married until I was eight. It ate away at Jeff, because there were times when they would fight and he would have to beg our father to stay. But eventually they worked things out and got married, but not before they emotionally damaged their children. The worst part is that they don't even know it, Jeff and I both know it, Mike knows it, but they have no clue. So when I was only ten years old, and Jeff was eleven, we both promised each other that we would never have kids before we were married.

**Flashback**

"It was always in the back of my mind, you know that one of them would leave us." I said to Jeff as we lied out on the trampoline in our backyard gazing at the clouds. We were talking about our parents most recent fight.

"It was always there for me too. I had to beg dad to stay, more than once." He said staring into clouds, almost like he was trying to find a meaning in his life.

"Things are different now, you know neither of them offered to leave." I said, thinking that I had just thought of something brilliant about my parents broken relationship.

"That's because neither of them can just leave now. Part of me wonders, are they only together because they have us?" He said staring right at me, like I should have the answer.

"I never want to put my kids through this. That's why, I will never have a kid until I am married." I said stating this fact that would later become one of my life rules.

"Yeah, me too. Promise me, that neither of us will have a kid before we are married, in order to protect that kid." He said, sticking out his pinky, so we could make the promise a law.

"I promise." I said locking pinkies with him.

**End Flashback**

I snapped out of my flashback when the doctor walked into the room and Mike's grip on my hand tightened. "Well, Miss Carter, your results are back from our lab. You are in fact, not pregnant." I sighed in relief once I heard those words. Mike started to rub my back, almost in a soothing way, but I didn't need anyone to sooth me, I was fine. "Miss Carter, we found something else. The reason your test results on the home tests were so confusing, is because you were pregnant, but you had a miscarriage. We don't know why these things happen, but we will run a few more tests." The doctor said. I was suddenly overcome with sadness. There had been a baby in me, but now that baby was gone.

"Why did I have a miscarriage? Does this mean I can't have babies?" I said, suddenly there were terrible thoughts swirling through my mind. I felt Mike sit beside me on the bed, I looked over and saw the same look of sadness that I was sporting. Even though we didn't know about the baby, this was still extremely devastating.

"No, the lab workers determined that you are fertile. But they assume that your miscarriage was caused by stress on the womb. We will run a few more tests to look into this but I suggest you relax a lot more when you begin to try for another baby. I am very sorry for your loss." She said before leaving the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yeah, she had a miscarriage man. I really don't know what to say, because I don't want to say the wrong thing to her." I overheard Mike talking to Jeff in the kitchen. After we left the doctor, we really hadn't said all that much to each other, other then the 'yeah, I'm okay' and 'no, I'm fine too.'

"You just need to be there for her man, she gets over thing pretty quick, but this might just mean that you guys hold off on having a baby once you're married." Jeff said. I walked right through the kitchen and out the door, not acknowledging either of them on my way out. I walked along the beach for a while, then I took a seat in the sand.

"Chloe, are you okay?" I heard Mike ask from behind me. I turned around to face him and let the tears fall.

"Yeah, I just want to try again. I want a baby, this made me realize how much I wanted a baby." I said as Mike sat down and pulled me into his lap, he wrapped me tightly in his arms.

"We can try again, we could get married soon. Who knows, maybe our baby was needed up there, we just won't ever know why." He said, I nodded my head in agreement, that all made sense.

"Let's get married, as soon as we can." I said before kissing Mike.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey! So I'm back. So sorry for the long wait. I hope you all enjoyed this story. I will try to update soon, but that depends on my work schedule for the next couple of weeks.

Enjoy!