Status: active...maybe?

My Only One

Behind Your Manicure

The next day drawled on as I breezed through school. I turned down an offer to some party from my friend Tarra. After hanging out with Jack and all his friends for a good time now, it was easily noted that high school parties were shit in comparison to the clubs Rian could get us all into. I pulled my hair into a ponytail as I went to my car.

I tapped it on the hood.

My baby.

It was a sloppy old thing, 1999 Chevy Impala. But, it got me around, and when I turned sixteen my mom was glad to hand over my Dad's old car. I love the little guy.

I hopped inside and popped in one of the mixtapes Jack had given me. It was from before they were signed, and to be quite frank, it was my favorite. It felt raw to me, and thats why I loved it so much. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff they're working on now, but this mixtape was classic. I pondered for a minute about going on tour with them. It would certainly get me out and in the working field, and I could be around jack...

Which was also a plus...

I smacked myself in the head, "What is wrong with you?" I muttered to myself as I pulled out of the parking lot. I should probably stop talking to myself.

There is no way in HELL Jack could ever like me more than a best friend. I was practically his little sister. I rolled my eyes and waited at a light. Then again, going on tour would give me a chance to see if he would like me more...

Aah, screw it. I can't do it. I don't have the money. And I certainly don't want Jack paying for everything for me. I would feel too guilty.

I pulled into my driveway and turned off my car. I pushed back a strand of hair that had fallen in my face and picked up my books. I pushed into the house, knocking off the flimsy screen door that was already falling apart. I watched it flutter to the ground, as if it weighed nothing. "Oops." I said, and clutched my books so they wouldn't fall in my clumsiness.

"Dammit, Rachel? What the fuck is wrong with you?!" My step dad growled, getting off his ass on the couch to pick up the cracked door.

"Sorry. Maybe if you bought another one it wouldn't fall all the time." I shrugged and began to retreat to my room.

"What did you say to me?" He suddenly turned around, face beaming a bright shade of red. "What did you say to me, you little shit?"

I put my books down, and clenched an unclenched my fists.

Just spit it out, just say it.

"Maybe if you weren't so lazy, and maybe if you started paying bills, and going to work, we could buy a new door! And then you wouldn't have to fix it all the time!" I yelled, waving my hands in the air wildly.

I could literally see his face fill with fury. I immediately regretted my decision to yell. I knew he had a temper, and I knew things flew in our house... But the way he was looking at me now scared the shit out of me. Out of the corner of my eye I could see the string of empty beer bottles lying next to the couch. Fuck.

I should have noticed the stench of his booze breath earlier, before I opened my big ass mouth.

"I'm sorry." I muttered. It was too late though, because a marroon bottle was sent hurtling towards my head. It smashed against the chair in front of me, and I shielded my eyes quickly.

My step dads eyes then went wide, and he attemped to come towards me. "Shit, Rachel I'm so sorry." He said sympathetically. I felt something roll down my cheek, and touched it with my hand. "Here let me get you something for that." He reached out to touch my face, completely sobering up. I flinched, and he backed off.

"Don't-" I put out my hand to stop him. I cringed as my head began to throb with a stinging pain. "Don't you dare touch me." I replied, as steadily as I could. His brown eyes looked ashamed, and he put his hand over his head and retreated back towards the couch with a huff. Tears welled in my eyes as I realized the severity or the situation. I let out a nervous cough, and then quickly turned back to the door and kicked it to the side. I strided out of the house, I needed to get to Jack's.

I needed to figure out a way to get out of here.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's short, but I'm about to write another chapter :)

Keep the comments coming! love you guys!

btw, I just saw The Lucky One, and HOLY SHIT is Zac Efron attractive. Anywho, have a nice evening everyone!