Status: active...maybe?

My Only One

What Do You Say

After school, I spent the majority of my time sending out my college applications. Most were for art schools, and a couple for communitiy colleges. A couple places I needed to turn a portfolio. I would have to work on that. I sighed and pushed the envelopes into the mailbox. I silently prayed I would get accepted somewhere. I could make a living for myself, for my family. And then maybe my mom would go back to loving me like she used to, (if she ever woke up), and my step dad could finally see that I wasn't just a thorn in his side. We could move out of the falling apart house that held too many memories. Too many memories of my childhood, with my dad who I missed sooo much, still.

I walked away from the mailbox at the post office and retreated to my car. I had a date to get ready for.

I flew into my house and pranced to my room. Filing through my clothes I realized I owned nothing Jack hadn't seen before. I shook my head, turned up the music of Anberlin in my CD player and proceeded to search for clothes.

When I was finally satisfied, I setlled for a white shorts and a nice baby bule shirt. I finished it off with a pair of flats I got for christmas last year. I hadn't been shopping much lately, didn't really have the money for it. But I managed to somehow stuble across cute things for cheaper prices, I was always up for a sale.

"Where are you going?" My step dad asked from the couch, beer in his left hand, remote in his right.

"Out." I replied, making my way to the door to see if he was hear yet. I looked over at the clock, 5:45.

"Oh yeah? What about the kitchen? What about the duties you need to pick up while your mother's gone?" He said, dropping the bottle to the floor and standing, looking like he was about to fall over. "I need more beer."

"I'll only be a couple hours." I said softly. "Besides, I'm 18. I don't really have to listen to what you say." I said, backing next to the wall to get out of his way.

"Do you even care that your mother is in the hospital?" He spat, pointing a finger in my face.

"How dare you," I began, feeling like the wind had just been knocked out of me.

"How dare you!" He shot back, poking his finger into my chest. I gagged at the smell he reeked of, alcohol and sweat.

"I'm leaving now." I muttered and shot by him. He caught me by the arm and gripped hard.

"Good! Get out!" He yelled and slammed me into one of our cabinets. My side it the corner of it, and I gasped as a shot of pain ripped through my side. I hunched over and clutched my side. I grabbed my phone and retreated towards the door. "I'm sorry." he muttered as I slammed the door behind me.

"Hi!" Jack grinned, causing me to jump into the air as he stood right at my front door. He was holding flowers in his hands. Daisies, my favorite.

"Hey!" I smiled, and moved my hands from my now aching side. "Are those for me?" I asked, looking down at them. He hesitated to hand them to me.

"Yeah, well..." He paused and bit his lip. "Kind of." He shrugged.

"What's that supossed to mean?" I scrunched up my face. Who else would they be for?

"Just...get in my car." He pointed towards the car.

"Okay, okay..." I paused, "bossy." I could practically feel him rolling his eyes behind me. He went around to the drivers side after shutting my door, something he has never done for me before. My stomach flipped with excitement. "So where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see." He smiled, and slipped his hand over mine. I flinched for a second, but then relaxed against it. I smiled, I could get use to this. "Can I ask you something?" He looked at me for a second, "You look great by the way."

"Thanks!" I grinned.

"You always do." He then smiled back at me. "Okay, so my question... Do you like Alex?" he asked.

Uh oh, how do I answer this? If I say no, he'll ask me why I kissed him...

If I say yes, then he'll ask why I'm on a date with him. Awh shit.

"Let's just say it was a moment that was completely unexpected for both of us." I swallowed a huge gulp. His jaw clenched, and he retracted his hand from mine. I don't think he meant to do it on purpose, but to me it felt like it. My hands went to my side again and I winced.

"You alright?" He asked, slowing down as we took a turn, into the... hospital?

I nodded and watched as he pulled into a parking space. We both got out, and he took the flowers and got a vase out of the back seat. "I thought you might want to see your mom before we go." And then I realized why there were flowers, and I wanted to kiss him all over the face.

Jack has never done anything so sweet for me before. This was the boy who glued all the pages of my books together one time, just to see my reaction. Granted, we were 10.

Tears welled in my eyes, and I got on my tip toes to reach his cheek. I kissed him and then said, "Thank you so much." I took the flowers from him and the vase, and put them in, arranging them the best I could.

He smiled and led me into the hospital, with his hand on the small of my back.

---

After we finished visiting my mom, who looked peaceful while she slept, we headed back to the car. "Where to now, Jack Attack?" I asked, feeling somewhat at peace after seeing how much better my mom was looking.

"That's a surprise." He smiled.

I groaned, "You know I-"

"Hate surprises? I know, trust me... you'll like this one." He laughed and drove in the direction we had just come from.

We pulled in front of my house and I felt my body tense. Was this his way for getting rid of me? Wow, what a crappy way to be ditched. He got out of the car and then practically ran to the other side to open mine. Unfortunately he tripped before he got there, and I got out on my own. "Cute attempt at chivlary." I nudged him, forcing a smile, even though I felt like the date was over, and a complete bust. I began to walk towards my front door.

"Where the hell are you going, Pebs?" He raised an eyebrow. God, he looked hott. His hair was perfectly messy, and his ripped jeans hung around his skinny frame perfectly. The only light that shone on him was from the houses around, and their street lamps. I looked down at my pathetic outfit, feeling completely not worth his time. I thought back to Alex's statement about other girls he had been with, he was right. I could never compare to half of them, and I didn't want to lose Jack as a friend if things went wrong...

I was rippe out of my thoughts when he grabbed my hand and pulled me around the side of my house. "Are you taking me out back to murder me?" I muttered, and he gripped my hand tighter.

"Hurry up! I'm excited!" He squealed like a child, typical. I caught sight of the tree house, now lit up with what looked like a camp light and a couple candles. There were blankets covering the open windows, that looked like they could shut to block out the cool air.

"You're kidding me." I stared at him for a minute before he dragged me to the ladder.

"Dinner for two?" He mocked a fancy waitress and waited for me to climb the ladder, before heading up himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if they're are mistakes! Let me know if you catch any and I'll change them!

The actual date's up next! WOOHOO!

Thanks for the comments!

Comment/subscribe... or both :) GOODNIGHTTTT :)

I hope it's not cheesy, I thought it was cute? The next part is about to be adorbs. hehehe