Status: Active

The Breed

IV

It was dark, then Rena flicked on the light switch. Before her stood a mirror, her reflection pale and her hair matted to her forehead. Blood swept down over her and her eyes grew dark. She screamed, the glass broke and she grabbed a shard, impaling her skin at her heart. And there she lay, dead on her bathroom floor.

Rena woke up, touching her face testing for blood, she was clean. It was quiet and comfortable on her bed. She checked her grandfather clock. It was 3 in the afternoon. She had slept all day.

She sat up. There was a thud at her door.

“Come in.” She spoke running her fingers through her hair.

Avian walked in, dressed nicely in a blue polo shirt and trouser pants. “Hey Rim. I thought you would never wake up.”

Rena smiled and bounced as Avian dove onto the bed.

“Avian do you know Damien?”

“Yeah…are you feeling alright? We don’t like Damien. Damien is a bad person remember. Son of Timothie Chantwell. Arrogant, nosey, hot-headed playboy. Why?” Avian inched himself up next to her.

“I don’t seem to remember him at all, I remember his voice, but I don’t remember anything about him. I don’t remember what he looks like, or ever hanging out with him…,” She whispered “Or his kiss.”

“His kiss?”

“He kissed me.”

“Rena! No! You really don’t remember him? At all?” Avian kneeled on the floor in front of her and took her hands in his.

“Rena, do you remember why Ginny is always so sad?”

“No. Wait, is it cause Derik is gonna join the royal guard?”

“No, you don’t remember cousin Maki?”

Rena shook her head.

“Damien…murdered Ginny’s son. Damien isn’t allowed in this house. Damien killed Maki Magorn when she was only an infant.” Avian squeezed Rena’s hands lightly. “Damien is not a good person Rena.”

“He wouldn’t do that. Damien is nice. I’ll talk to him.” Rena smiled at her little brother.

“No you won’t, hey,” Avian seemed to notice the bruise on her face, she turned to look the other way. Avian tilted her head. “Did he do that to you? Rena! I’m going to the Acolt, that's a severe offense!”

“No, Avian.”

“Rena! He hit you!” Avian jumped up, and began pacing around the room.

“No, Avian please.”

“I’ll kill that half-wit myself.”

“Avian! Goddammit listen to me!”

“What?” He was bewildered.

“It wasn’t Damien.”

“Than who was it?”

“Dad.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Shorty Shorrt Short, i'm preparing you...for when they get long.