Immortal Eyes

Cian

The door was locked, but light shone out of the living room window. I didn’t expect anything less for the hour it was. I pulled the key out of the ignition and locked my blue Hyundai Accent GLS. The car was in good health, but I loathed it. It'd be another few years before I could get the sleek, black corvette I wanted.

The front door opened and my mother rushed out, her long pink nightgown brushing the ground. "Cian! We we so worried about you. Where have you been?!" Mother's voice was loud in the silence of the street. She was looking me up and down, searching for anything wrong.

Guiltily, I ran my hands through my brown hair and looked away, unable to look into those worried green eyes. "I just needed to get away for a while, mama." Sidestepping her, I made my way inside, only to find my father standing in the hall, blocking my way to my room, his arms crossed over his chest.

"I'm going to bed. We can talk in the morning," I told him, trying to get around him.

"I don't think so, young man. We need to talk right now." Placing a hand on my shoulder, he steered me to the kitchen. Instead of sitting down like he tried to get me to, I walked to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water just as my mom walked in beside father.

The granite counter-tops practically sparkled with how clean my mother kept it. Setting the water down, I stared at both of them. "Well?"

Dad took a deep breath. "Cian, I think it's time you and your sister separate. It's a bad influence on her, you staying out so late in the night. What do you think she'll make of it all?"

“We’re not saying to forget about each other, just that it’s about time the two of you learn to live on your own,” he said, wrapping a protective arm around mom. Dad’s brown eyes crinkled up as he frowned, and I fisted my hands to keep from yelling and risking waking Aisling. This was an age old fight between us.

“To move on from the bond we share, right? You two have been talking to the psychiatrists again. You never did like that we were always so close.” Turning, I went into my bedroom and slammed the door. After a moment of holding my breath, I sent a quick prayer to whatever God was listening that I hadn’t woken Aisling. There was no need to worry her about mother and father.

My gaze swept over my room. Unlike most guys my age, I kept everything nice and tidy. That was mostly thanks to my sis, since she always told me a clean room attracted girls more often. I kicked off my shoes, and let myself fall on my soft mattress with a sigh.

The lamp on my bedside cut off and I lifted my head, but saw nothing in the sudden darkness. Shrugging, I laid back down and tried to figure this all out. So mom and dad were working hard on this little project of theirs. It was only a matter of time before they did something we would all regret. There had to be something I could do to stop this…