Immortal Eyes

Aisling

I heard my brother come in and heard the murmurs of his conversation with our parents.
What were they talking about?
I crept down the hall to Cian's room, careful not to make any sound that would alert my parents.
My brother's room was down and across the hall from mine and I often wondered why they had placed us so far away from each other.

As twins we had always shared a room with each other up until we both turned 13. Then our parents had ganged up on us and told us to stop sticking so close to one another. I had demanded why I couldn't have just moved into the room that connected to Cian's. But my mother had acted as though I was being ungrateful, because she had supposedly put so much 'care' into designing a room for me.

I scoffed quietly, as I thought of the room that had been decorated with pink and purple swirls. I hated swirls with a passion, because they made me feel dizzy. And the glow in the dark glitter that my mother had thrown up on the ceiling freaked me out at first. Now it was just a nuisance that hurt my eyes whenever I looked up.

"Aisling?"

I cringed when I heard my mother's voice. "Uh...Yes mom?"

Mom's eyes zeroed in and narrowed on the hand that was reaching towards Cian's doorknob. "Why are you awake?"

"Geez mom! Can't I just go talk to my own brother?" I snapped, crossing my arms.

Mom pursed her lips at the mention of my brother. "It's past midnight, what do you need to talk to your brother about that is so important, that it can't wait until the morning?"

Because I know that you eavesdrop on our conversations I thought but instead I just nodded and walked back to my room.

"Aisling, you have to understand," my mom said softly "it isn't healthy, clinging to your brother like that!"

"Clinging? Its not clinging mom! We're twins! We have a bond! You-you need to stop talking to that creepy shrink of yours!" I snapped and slammed the door to my room, not caring if I woke anyone up.

I flopped down onto my bed and snatched up my phone. I can't believe I can't even walk around my own house without feeling like some kind of prisoner! I wonder what happened? Before mom and dad started seeing those stupid shrinks, they used to think it was cute when Cian and I did things together! They used to show us off to the rest of the family, and boast about how coordinated and in sync we were. But now...What did those psychiatrists say to them about us?

What did mom and dad say to you? I punched into my phone and sent the text to my brother, hoping that he was still awake. Then I sighed and stared up at the stupid glittering ceiling.