Status: New Story

The Evil Puppeteer

Prologue

The day was beautiful. The sun was out, the skies were blue, and the beach was free of people, aside from the family of three heading out onto the fine,sandy shores. The little girl skipped ahead of her parents with a carefree manner; her light brown curls swinging in time with her skips. Her parents jovial laughter spilled out into the early afternoon air.

She was wearing a baby blue dress, awash with pink flowers on the lower half of it. Her small feet were clad in light pink sandals that had ribbons on the clasps. Her curly light brown hair fell into her face as she stopped suddenly, transfixed by a dark shadow further down the beach.

Her parents had set their little picnic basket down and had just adjusted the blanket on the fine sand, when they noticed their daughter had continued walking down the shoreline.

"Sweetheart, not too far. I want to be able to see you." Her mother called out to the little girl.

"I won't, Mommy." She replied back; her big emerald green eyes still transfixed on the dark shadow standing on the beach not to far from where she stood.

The little girl bounded a little closer, her parents not paying the least bit of attention to her. The dark shadow began to take shape. It looked like a man. She stepped a little closer to the mysterious man and upon further inspection of him, realized he looked sad. His face was downcast and seemed to be stricken with despair. She closed the gap between them, her parents all but forgotten.

"Hey mister. Why are you so sad?" She asked with childish wonder. Her big emerald green eyes boring into his dark blue ones.

He looked down at her small frame and a glint of malice and joy entered his mysterious dark blue eyes. She didn't see that though. She didn't see that people were bad, not with her childlike wonders. She seen the good in everything and everyone, even if there wasn't any good at all.

"My dog went missing a little while ago. Did you happen to see him? He's about you're height and has thick light brown fur." He described to her. Her eyes went wide and she shook her head vehemently.

"I haven't seen him." She told him with honesty.

The sea breeze picked up and her curly brown locks whipped around her heart shaped face. The sun beat down on the sand, making it hotter than when she first got there. She pushed her tousled locks out of her face and continued looking at the man.

"What is your name, sweet child?" He asked her cautiously, looking behind her, making sure her parents weren't paying attention.

She looked at him in wonder once more before answering his question. "My name's Domenica. What's your's?" Her eyes sparkled in the bright sunlight as she smiled a toothy grin.

"My name is Grigory. Would you like to help me find my dog? I'd appreciate it." His hand creeped up in front of her, and she gladly took it. Only looking behind her once before disappearing behind the big boulders and going off in search of a dog that didn't exist.

Domenica Maria Angelo was never seen from again. The police searched for her body for four long years, before finally declaring it a cold case. She had become another missing child from the West Virginia area. Another lost soul; lost to the man known as Le Marionnettiste.

She was his first victim, but she wouldn't be his last. Oh no. The cold case of 1927, was the first of his collection. The victim that started his obsession. The obsession that only the doll children understood.