Status: Active!

Behind the Lines

Chapter 21

“Tag, you’re it!” I punch Landon in the shoulder, before running off in the opposite direction. We have been walking for quite some time now, through the forest, and we landed up on the running track.

“Goodness, Journey! You hit like a guy!” Landon complains in pain, caressing his shoulder with his good arm.

“Get used to it Landon!” I say, trying to find a good place to hide, not that it would matter because he would probably track down my scent, anyway.

I hide behind a fairly wide bush, crouching low and peeking out through the tiny holes to see where Landon is. His back is to me so I cannot tell if knows where I am or not.

He slowly turns around, sniffing the air, until he finally faces the bush I am hiding behind and smirks widely. And like a parent that taunts their kid while playing hide-and-seek, Landon uses the same approach, pretending he doesn’t know where I am and talks to himself.

“Aw, mean Journey left poor, old Landon all alone. That’s not a very nice thing to do. Well, if she doesn’t come out, I guess I’ll have to tell Blaine her deepest, darkest secret,” he taunts.

My eyes widen at that fact the Landon is absolutely serious. That stupid mutt, blackmailing me. Freaking bitch he is. I’ll give him something to complain about. Waiting for Landon to get closer to me, I take a deep breath, and with all my super speed and strength, I jump out from behind the bush and pounce on Landon, knocking both of us down, but Landon manages to cushion my fall.

Straddling him, I lean do in his ear and whisper bitterly, “You tell Blaine or anyone my secret, I will cut a hole in your scrotum, stick an M80 there, blow your genitals of, and make you enjoy it. And after that, I will cut your chest open and pour banana Slurpee into your right lung until the blood vessels swell up and turn yellow. Got it?”

Landon gulps loudly, obviously frightened, and nods his head in compliance. I smirk to myself and get off of him, though missing the body heat he gave off.

“And if that doesn’t work, I’ll make sure to tell everyone your secret,” I continue.

“Fine you got me, I won’t tell,” he sighs but smiles at me anyway.

“Journey, I need to speak to you right away,” Rob says in my head, using the mind link.

“Okay, I’ll be right there,” I respond. I offer Landon a hand to help him get off the floor and he gratefully takes it.

“Thanks,” he mutters.

“No problem. We need to get back to the pack house. Rob needs to speak with me,” I inform him, already walking to the trail back to the house. As much as I want to spend more time with Landon, I cannot turn back on an Alpha’s order. I sigh and begin walking, Landon trailing behind me. He matches his pace with mine and eventually walks next to me. We walk in silence together, though it is not uncomfortable at all, and just enjoy each other’s presence like we have done so many other times today.
In what seems like a really short amount of time, we reach the pack house and go our separate ways. He goes over to the kitchen, bidding me a quick see you later, while I smile and walk my way to Rob’s office.

Knocking on the door, Rob mutters a quick come in and I enter, closing the door behind me.

“What’s up?” I greet, sitting in the comfy chair in front of his desk.

“Hey Journey. I just wanted to tell you that next week we need to go to the Royal Black meeting. It’s urgent, regarding the attacks on a few other packs,” Rob says.

“Meetings? I didn’t know we had meetings,” I question.

“Oh right, I guess I never really told you about that. Well… Royal Black meetings happen only once a year, unless there is an emergency or important issue that needs to be discussed by the council, which are us. This is the first time in five years that an emergency meeting has been called. There was already one earlier this year and during those regular meetings, we don’t really do anything but catch up with the other Royal Blacks and the one person that they choose to bring. Those are kind of just like a week get away from your pack. They are really fun, however, this one, next week, will be serious. We will only stay for three days. You can’t bring anyone because these matters are only to be discussed secretively. So, I suggest you start shopping for things you may need and be ready a day in advance.

“Also, all the guests that are visiting… well, assuming that their lives are in danger, they need to stay here until all this is settled. We can’t afford them getting attacked by any rouge wolves. I already contacted their packs and they’ve agreed that this is for the best, provided that they receive training as well and that their mates can come, as well. If they want to fight they can, otherwise, we will be holding out drills for them, for them to get into the shelters under the pack house. I already told you about it, so you can just tell them the functions of it.

“Since this house is already packed as is, I need you to go to the other pack house, a mile away, with all the other guys and start to store the kitchen with food and what-not. All you teenagers are staying there while the adults stay here. So, you’ll need to move your stuff as well. That pack house also has a shelter. The layout of the house is the same, so you don’t need to worry about any trap doors. Oh and you need to break the news to everyone,” Rob finishes.

“We have another pack house? Why do I have to tell them? When do we have to move by? Do we have to do it today?” I spit out before Rob gives me a look, telling me to shut up.

“Journey… I take it you have not explored the pack grounds to such an extent?” he asks, amused, ignoring all of my other questions.

“No,” I say, dragging out the “o.”

“Well, in that case, I guess you don’t know we also have a club house next to the other pack house,” he says, smiling cheekily.

“We do? Is that where the boys disappear to?” I ask eyes wide open and mouth agape.

“Yeah. You may want to check it out. The boys put their pranking supplies there. But don’t tell anyone I told you,” he winks at me, and resumes his paperwork that he was doing before I got here. I sit there for a while, just looking at him, waiting for him to talk.

“What? No chatting or anything? Come on, Rob, if you hate me that much, you could just say so!” I joke.

“Well, I thought you may want to go make babies with your mate, while I go make babies with mine,” Rob says, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively, stopping his work.

“Ew, Rob, I don’t need to know what you do behind closed doors. As for Landon, we’re just friends for now,” I inform.

“For now, but in the future, there will be more than just that,” I roll my eyes at him.

“Anyway, tell me about you and Claire!” I demand, putting my elbows on the desk and placing my chin on the palms of my hands, as if he was the most interesting thing ever.

Instantly, Rob’s face goes from jokester to love-drunk. “Aw man, where do I start? Claire… she is amazing. Loves everyone around her and everyone loves her back. She knows just what to say when things are bad. She is so fun to be around. There is never a dull moment with her. I just… I love her so much,” he sighs, thinking about his mate.

“Dude, you are so whipped. Oh my gosh, that was the girliest thing I’ve ever heard you say!” I laugh.

Rob blushes deeply and throws the pen he was holding at me, but it just makes me laugh harder.

“Dude, you’re blushing. Ha! You are such a girl,” I laugh, clutching my stomach.

“Shut-up,” he mutters embarrassedly, looking at his hands as if that is the most amazing thing in the world.

“Aw man, she’s making the Alpha go soft. Classic,” I chuckle.

“You’re so annoying sometimes, Journey,” Rob rolls his eyes.

“Yeah, but you love me anyway,” I wink playfully at him making him chuckle deeply.

“Okay, kid, get out of here, I need to finish paperwork,” he laughs, grabbing another pen from his drawer.

“See ya old man,” I scream, running out of his room before he could do anything, slamming the door in the process, which ultimately pisses Rob off. One of his pet peeves. Ha-ha, sucker!

I run down the hallway, hearing Rob yell out profanities and accidently bump into Gavin, causing both of us to fall down.

“Journey, how many times do I have to tell you to stop falling for me?” he jokes, sitting up.

“Yes Gavin, my heart flutters every time I see you. If only you were my mate,” I mutter sarcastically.

“Now, now Journey, wouldn’t want your boy toy to be hearing that,” he chuckles.

“We’re just friends,” I whisper.

“Well, that’ll always lead to something more,” he winks at me.

“Why is everyone so obsessed about my love life?” I roll my eyes at him.

“Why are you so obsessed with me?”

“Please, as if.”

“Hurtful!” he exclaims, holding a hand to his heart.

“I thought you were a robot… incapable of feelings or anything,” I mutter.

“Ha-ha, you are so funny,” he says disdainfully.

“I know, right?” I smile.

“Not to mention egotistical,” he mutters to himself, thinking I didn’t hear him.

I slap his arm, “Hey! You hit like a guy!” he shrieks.

“So I’ve been told,” I chuckle, remembering what Landon said not too long ago.

“So, are we just going to sit and talk on the floor the whole day?”

“Nah, I need to go prank some people,” I inform him.

“Can I help?” his eyes widen like a kid on Christmas, looking hopeful.

“Sure,” I smile at him,

“Really?” he looks at me in disbelief.

“No,” I smirk. Instantly he frowns and mutters bitch under his breath, thinking I didn’t hear him. I roll my eyes at his childlessness and get up off the floor. I offer my hand to him but he declines and gets off himself.

“Let’s go eat,” he states, rubbing his belly.

“Is that all guys think about? Food and sex?” I look at him curiously.

“Pretty much,” he smiles cheekily, taking hold of my hand and pulling me along with him to the kitchen. In there, the usual gang is there along with their friends. My brothers are also there, along with some other members of Landon’s pack.

“Hey guys. What’s up?” I ignore my brothers but give a small smile to Brandon who returns the favor. He looks a little troubled, which means I need to talk to him soon.

“Hey Journey!”

“Hiya!”

“Long time no see!”

“The sky.”

“You owe me a dollar.”

Everyone blurts out different greetings and notices, making me roll my eyes. Gavin let’s go of my arm and walks over to the fridge to get something to eat. I sit in the only available seat which, unfortunately, is next to Miles and Justin. But I swallow my pride and sit there anyway. Who says I need to talk to them anyway?

“So, I have news for you guys,” I smile, waiting for them to shut up and listen to me.

They all look at me. “What?” They say at the same time.

“Well, since this house is getting too crowded, all of us have to move to the other pack house, while the adults stay here,” I inform.

“Wait, but our guests are leaving in a few days anyway. Why do we need to move?” Riley interrogates.

“Oh didn’t Rob tell you?” My eyebrows crinkle in confusion.

“No?” Everyone says, utterly confused.

“Well, since there is a threat of an attack, Rob finds it best if everyone stays here until everything is settled down. He already contacted the Alphas of everyone’s packs and they already agreed to it, as long as everyone receives training, and if they have mates, they can come here as well,” I explain, putting my arms on the table and tapping my fingers on top of it.

“Whoa, is it really that serious?” someone asks. I didn’t recognize her, but she is… someone’s friend.

“No one knows, but Rob doesn’t want to take any chances. If worse comes to worst, you guys, all that are visiting, are going to the shelters that are under both pack houses. Over there, no outside forces can penetrate the shelter. It is sound proof to werewolves, as well as scent proof, meaning they can’t smell you out either. When we get to training, Rob is going to perform some drills to prepare you guys for the worst,” I replay everything that Rob told me. Looks of understanding pass the table.

“What if we want to fight?” Samson, Gavin’s friend, asks.

“If you want to fight, it’s completely up to you. We won’t control your decisions. But remember, don’t purposefully bring harm towards yourself if you have someone or something to live for in your other pack,” I answer, advising everyone in the room.

“Fair enough,” Samson answers, continuing to eat his food. Now I know why he’s friends with Gavin.

“So, do we need to move now?” Violet asks.

“Yeah, he wants us to move by tomorrow. Meaning we need to get started today,” I answered. This is a perfect opportunity for me to get started on my prank. While some are out shopping, I can do whatever I need without minimal distractions.

“Let’s get going guys,” Riley says, taking Johnston’s hand and going to their room to pack.

“Some of you need to go grocery shopping. There’s no food in the other house,” I inform them.

“Okay, Piper, Violet, Mason, Caleb, Landon, Lloyd, Gavin, and I can all go shopping and the rest can start moving their stuff to the other house. We’ll get our friends to help with our stuff, and all of you text us a list of what food and drinks you want so we can get it,” Violet suggest, we all murmur in agreement and we all get out our phones and start texting our necessities.

After about two minutes, when everyone is satisfied with their lists, all sent to someone going to the store, Violet and her gang all grab their keys and walk out the door to their cars.

“Okay guys, let’s get this show on the road,” I clap my hands and everyone disappears to their rooms to pack up.

The only downfall of this is that I’d probably end up seeing my brothers more and I’d have to endure Macy and her friends, along with Lucy and Samantha, who are now buddy-buddy with Macy. Great. Not.

I start packing my stuff up, which isn’t much, and get lost in my thoughts.

If Olivia is still alive, then is she still out to get me? We used to be inseparable. Every moment of the day, we were with each other. Our parents were so proud of us. Everything was perfect. What did I do to make her hate me so much that she needed to make everyone hate me and fake her own death?

She’s my sister.

Yes, she is my sister. Olivia Allen. Twenty years old. The eldest out of all the Allen kids. The moment you would meet her, you would fall in love with her. She was the sweetest thing ever. Was, being the key word. When she faked her death, I suppose people hated me more than they should have, due to the fact that they thought why on Earth would someone kill their own sister? They probably thought that I was a nutcase. I suppose I gave my family a good reason to hate me. To treat me like I was nothing.

But at the same time, I wish that they listened to me. But they couldn’t have. They were forced not to. And it was to protect me. If they could have listened to me, would they have still loved me and accepted me? Would they have forgiven me, even if I never did anything wrong? Do they hate Olivia now, now that they know I didn’t have anything to do with it? What was her ulterior motive in all this? Did she really hate me that much?

Questions swirl through my head like a tornado. What ifs really make your head spin, and they especially occupy your time. I wish I could see her again. To hear her out and make her forgive me for anything I did. But I can’t remember doing something so drastic that she had to make-up her own death.

“Hey Journey, can I come in?” Brandon’s voice sounds from the door. I missed Brandon a lot.

“Come in, bud,” I say, shoving the last of my clothes in my bag.

He enters the room looking as innocent as ever. He is the baby of the family, and though he is a teenager now, he has not given up the title of baby. He is the one person you would want to pinch their cheeks every time you see them. Even though he is taller than me now, and a lot more buff, he’ll always be my favorite little brother. He’s so innocent and such a sweetheart, never judging anyone and never taking anything for granted. He’s the one person you’d definitely want in your life.

“Hey,” he says.

“What’s up, bro?” I ask, taking a seat on my bed, patting the empty space next to me, indicating that he should sit.

Instead, he looks at me, on the verge of tears. Concern clouds up my face and I walk over to him, holding the sides of his face in my hands.

“What’s wrong?” I whisper softly.

Instead of answering me, he immediately crushes into me, hugging me tight and sobbing his heart out. I do not say anything but just comfort him, rubbing his back and whisper sweet nothings in his ears, even though I have no clue what’s going on. It takes quite a while for him to calm down, and when he does, I lead him over to my bed and sit on it, while he lies his head on my lap, the rest of his body curled, still shaking from the remaining tears.

“What’s wrong buddy?” I ask again, softly, running my hands through his hair, trying to calm him down.

“I thought you were dead, Journey.”

“What?” I asked, confused.

He sniffs a few times and clears his throat before speaking again. “When you ran away that day, I didn’t know you weren’t coming back. I thought you’d be home in a couple of hours. But when you weren’t, I started to worry. I paced my room the whole night, waiting for you to come back, hoping you were okay. And when you didn’t I started to cry. Mom and dad came into my room and asked me if I was okay. They didn’t look the slightest bit worried about you. That was when I lost it.

“I started yelling at them, telling them they were the worst parents ever. How all these years, they neglected you. Even when all of us went to the forest, and you would tell us everything, not knowing who we were, they never believed you. They thought you were making up stories yourself. They thought you would tell those stories to everyone else, to try and clear up your name. They thought you were practicing with us before you told others.

“But I always believed you. Your eyes don’t lie, Journey. They showed so much pain and hurt no one should ever face in their lives. When I started yelling at them, our brothers came into my room, trying to calm me down, but I was too hysterical, calling all of them names and what not. Telling them they don’t deserve to live because if they do something like that to you, they could do it to anyone else, including me. That was when they started yelling at me. They said if I wanted to side with you, I should go live with you and run away as well.

“And that’s what I did. I didn’t take anything and just ran out the house. They weren’t serious though. They chased after me, telling me to stop and they were sorry. But I didn’t listen. I ran in the woods, trying to get away from them and trying to find you. I eventually lost them, but I still kept running, looking for you.

“I ran for three days, looking for you. I went to different packs, wondering if they had any clue where you were. When they said no, I ran again, not evening asking for a bite to eat or a place to rest. The last pack I visited was dad’s friend’s pack. Dad had called them, telling them if they saw me, to keep me contained in their house while they come to get me. I tried to get out, but they had blocked all the exits. Dad and everyone else finally came. They thanked the pack and we traveled back home. They all said they were sorry to me. But it didn’t matter. They tried looking for me, but they didn’t even ask if I had a clue where you were. That’s when I realized how much they hated you. They hated you so much, that they didn’t care if you died. They missed Olivia and they needed a scapegoat and you were the only one. Landon made you one, to protect you.

“But even though they missed Olivia that gave them no right to treat you the way that they did, even if you had done it. Instead of protecting you, they treated you like everyone else in the pack did.

“When I got back home, I found Landon waiting in my room for me. At first, I was so mad at him because this was his entire fault. I started throwing things at him, whatever I could find, I threw it at him. Until he used his alpha voice to calm me down. Then he told me everything he knew. Together, we called all packs, even this one, but they all said they never heard of you. And eventually, I gave up. Landon kept trying. I thought you died—that someone killed you or you came across the wrong people.

“I kept my distance with everyone for the next few months. I treated them like the treated you, and eventually, they caught on my drift and ignored me as well. When we were attacked and we came here and I saw you, I swear I was the happiest person on the planet, beside Landon. I didn’t show it though. I was still in shock. And I got over it eventually. Then Landon told the whole pack everything, and our family was so shocked and so guilty of treating you the way they did. They wanted to talk to you. So they did. But they had nothing to say to you. And you completely shunned them.

“Journey, I don’t know how the other guys feel about knowing the truth about you and what not, but I want you to know that I never for a second believed you did anything and that I will always pick you no matter what. You’re the best biggest sister ever, and I don’t want to lose you again,” he finishes his story, taking a deep breath, a few tears dripping down his cheeks.

All the while he told me his story; I listened and continued to brush my fingers through his hair. I tell him to sit up and I look him in the eyes.

“You’re the best brother ever. I couldn’t ask for anything more than for one person to just believe me, and you did. And for that, I am so grateful. I am so grateful you believed and nobody else did. I don’t blame everyone else. I’m just mad at them. And in time, I know that our family will be back together, even without Olivia. Everything will be back to normal and you wouldn’t have to ever look for me anymore because I won’t leave your side, ever,” I tell him, a few tears leaking out of my eyes.

“Promise?” he whispers, holding out his pinky, just like old times.

“Promise,” I state, wrapping my pinky over his and kissing him on the forehead. “I love you Brandon,” I whisper.

“Love you too, sis,” he repeats.

“Now, enough of this mushy stuff and help me bring my stuff to my car. Afterwards, we’ll camp out in my room and have a movie night, just like the old times. And I never thought I would say this, but I’ll even let you help me with my prank. What do you say?” I suggest.

He smiles brightly and jumps up off the bed, grabbing one of my two bags. “Hell yeah,” he says, all signs of sadness gone. It is good to have some normality in your life.

“Let’s go, shrimp!” I say, grabbing my other bag and running down the hallway.

“Hey! You can’t call me that anymore. I’m taller than you!” he complains.

“So what!? I’m still older than you,” I remind him, laughing to myself.

“You can’t always use that card on me!”

“I can and I will!”

We both reach the driveway and I wave to Blaine who is sitting in the car with Bryn. I walk over to their car with Brandon trailing behind me.

Blaine rolls down his window, “What’s up?” he greets, smiling as usual.

“Nothing much. Mind if we get a ride with you two to the other house?” I ask.

“Sure,” Bryn says. Brandon and I walk to the trunk, opening it and dumping in my things and then getting into the car.

“So J,” Brandon starts, using his nickname for me.

“Yeah,” I ask, looking at my smiling little brother.

“What is the prank?” he asks.

I smile evilly and laugh. “I’ll tell you later. You’ll like it, but the others… well, they aren’t going to be too happy.”

Time for pranking, motherfuckers.

Here comes the master.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments encourage me :D