Status: hiatus

Love, and Other Torture Devices

Comparisons

Cassandra takes a bite of the meat on her plate, "so."

Slowly looking up from her bowl of soup, Almira feels one of her eyebrows slowly raise, "so."

"I heard that you went on a date yesterday."

"It was hardly a date," Almira scoffs. "We went to this... barbaric thing called bear-baiting."

Cassandra snorts, "that's one of Edmund's favorite things to do, Lady Almira."

"It's barbaric and disgusting."

Shrugging her shoulders, Cassandra takes a grape from the platter. "It's a sport here in Latovia. People... enjoy it. Especially your future husband."

Almira rolls her eyes, stirring her bowl of soup.

"Is it true that you sat on his lap the entire time?"

Choking, Almira covers her mouth quickly.

"Breathe, Lady Almira!" The Lady-in-Waiting quickly looks around the empty room.

Glaring at the blonde woman, Almira lets her spoon collide loudly with her bowl. "Why would you ask me such a question?"

"Because we're alone and I'm curious."

Almira sighs loudly.

"Please do not deprive me of these details," Cassandra smirks.

"It wasn't my choice," Almira mutters.

"Ah!" Cassandra squeals. "You sat on the prince's lap! This is such a good thing for you both."

Shaking her head, Almira scrunches her nose. "I don't like him, Cassandra."

"You do, too. He's your husband-to-be and he's going to be King eventually. You have to like him."

"I don't have to do any such thing."

A knock at the door silences the room, before the heavy barricade is pushed open.

Standing from her seat, Almira quickly straightens her dress.

"Lady Almira," the man bows. "The King has sent a gift for you."

Another man walks in, holding a larger, rectangular box.

"Oh my," Cassandra smiles, covering her mouth.

Almira glances at the man holding the box before slowly opening the lid. "Oh," she gasps quietly. "Cassandra, look at this."

Cassandra clamps a hand over her mouth, staring at the heavy gold, jewel incrested, necklace.

"Please, tell King Carlyle that I am most grateful for this... beautiful gift."

"As you wish, Lady Almira."

Cassandra takes the box from the man, before both men exit the room. As soon as the door closes, Cassandra puts the box down.

"I'd like to put the necklace on."

"You can't do that."

Almira scoffs lightly, "excuse me?"

"It's not from the Prince. That could be seen as very disrespectful if you're seen in jewelry that's not gifted from him."

Rolling her eyes, "it is a gift, Cassandra, not a wedding ring."

"That may be so, where you're from. But you do not want to anger Prince Edmund."

"You act as if Edmund has this uncontrollable temper, and I don't think it really exists."

Cassandra shrugs, "go ahead and anger him, see for yourself if that'll please you."

Almira crosses her arms. "You're angering me."

"I'm serious, Almira."

"And so am I!" Almira shouts. "I don't want to disrespect the King, who seems like a perfectly good ruler."

Cassandra nods, narrowing her eyes. "With all due respect, you're very naïve."

Almira's eyes narrow, and her arms remain crossed.

"You know nothing about King Carlyle or how he rules this country."

"Enlighten me, Cassandra."

"The King has been married five times. All five of his wives are dead. He had them killed, because he was no longer happy with them."

Almira nods, "I'm sure that's entirely accurate information."

"It is," Cassandra nods. "They had no trial or investigation. Edmund was three when his mother, Queen Edith, was beheaded. She had no trial and there was no investigation as to why she was put to death."

Almira blinks, "and your point is?"

"King Carlyle is not exactly what most would consider a just ruler. There are many people waiting for the day when Edmund takes the thrown."

Almira smirks, "you just claimed Edmund has anger issues. What makes you think he'll be a more just ruler than his father?"

"Edmund has a conscience."
♠ ♠ ♠
I love hearing your thoughts. Your feedback means so much to me.

xoxo