Status: hiatus

Love, and Other Torture Devices

Sword

“Lady Almira,” the Gentleman of the Bedchamber clears his throat. “Is there anything I can get you?”

Almira does not sit up, or make any effort to actually move. She keeps the blanket tucked under her chin and sighs, “no, thank you.”

“Are you sure?” The man attempts to peek over the broad shoulders of the guards, standing on his toes. “I can bring you something if you’d like.”

She shakes her head gently, “thank you, again. But I’m… okay, for right now.”

The Gentleman opens his mouth.

“You heard her,” the guard speaks firmly, but his voice is low. “Scurry away, now.”

Glaring at the much larger man, the servant huffs loudly and backs away before turning, and walking, into the sitting area across the chamber’s dividing hall.

Almira slowly tilts her head to the side, blinking slowly and staring at the disfigured shadows of the large men, blocking the rest of the world from her, through the semi-sheer curtains.

Image


Breathing heavily through his flared nostrils, Edmund stalks down the hallway with his right hand resting on the handle of his holstered sword.

His footsteps echo through the corridor loudly, followed by the quick sound of his sword scraping the side of the leather holster as he quickly pulls it out. Twisting the handle in his dominant hand, Edmund’s knuckles whiten.

James trots loudly down the hallway, attempting to catch the prince. “Edmund!”

“Go tend to my study, James!”

“I did! Where are you going?”

Edmund stops and turns on his heel, “I have some business to tend to.”

“With your sword.”

“With my sword.”

James crosses his arms, “what are you planning on doing, Edmund?”

“Don’t worry about it.”

The Page’s eyebrows furrow.

“You’ve got nothing to worry about. Go get some rest or something, I’ll come and see you when I’ve finished tending to my business.”

Standing in the same spot, watching the prince walk away, James begins to slowly shake his head. “Be careful, then.”

“I always am,” Edmund mutters under his breath, before rounding the corner at the end of the corridor.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, it's short. It's just been a while since I've updated and this will lead well (at least I think so) into the next chapter.

Feedback, as always, is greatly appreciated.

xoxo