Status: hiatus

Love, and Other Torture Devices

Tonight

“What you did… no one must find out about it,” Chancellor Phillips says quietly. “Whilst a majority of King Carlyle’s supporters have died out, the few that remain still strongly support him. If it were to become knowledge of the public that he died at your hand…”

Edmund nods, slowly looking up from the table and glaring at the older man, “I understand.”

“I have found someone that will be prosecuted for the crime. He is a strong supporter of your inevitable reign.”

The Prince looks up from the empty table. “Excuse me?”

“This will allow you to have the most successful reign as King, Sir. You understand?”

“No, I do not.”

The man blinks, licking his lips. “It is important that the people support you, especially when you are first crowned. Only when their loyalty is established can you test it.”

“Is this really the most appropriate time to be discussing this?”

The Chancellor smiles, “You’re the King now, Edmund. There is no such thing as an appropriate time for anything.”

Image


“I’m worried about Edmund,” Almira says quietly.

Cassandra shrugs lightly, “do not. He’ll come around when he’s ready.”

“I have not seen him, though. It’s been over a week.”

“This should be a time when you are focusing on yourself, Almira. Not him. You have the rest of your life to do that.”

Crossing her arms, Almira leans back onto the couch. “You obviously don’t understand, Cassandra.”

Shrugging her shoulders, the blonde woman continues to sew a piece of sheer fabric carefully. “Maybe I don’t.”

“There’s no maybe about it,” Almira mutters under her breath, looking away.

Dramatically rolling her eyes, Cassandra refocuses her attention on the sheer fabric in her hands.

“I have been locked away in this godforsaken room for the past three days, Cassandra!” Almira snaps, allowing her voice to grow. “I do not want to be cooped up like an animal.”

Cassandra shrugs, looking up from the project. “Maybe you should go take your complaint up with your fiancé, then.”

“Maybe I will,” Almira grumbles, hastily turning on her heel and quickly walking across the room.

The man sitting in a chair by the door stands up when he sees Almira approaching the sole entrance and exit of the room. “L-Lady Almira.”

“I want to see my fiancé.”

“Sir Edmund is… very busy.”

She shakes her head.

“He’s requested to be left alone for the time being.”

“I’ve left him alone for three whole days.”

The Gentleman of the Bedchamber straightens his coat, “Lady Almira—“

“You can either take me to Prince Edmund or not. Gentleman.”

He blinks, slowly bowing his head. Pulling the door open, the man signals for Lady Almira to exit first.

James quickly steps into the doorway, crossing his arms. “Where do you think you’re going, Lady Almira?”

“I’m going to check in on my fiancé.”

“No, you’re not,” James shakes his head. “Edmund’s just fine.”

Almira gently shakes her head, feeling a stray hair escape the bun resting on her head and tickle the back of her neck. “I’m going to see him.”

“He’ll come and see you when he’s ready.” James steps back slightly.

Lifting her chin slightly, Almira takes a large step out of the room and into the hallway. She nearly closes the space between her future husband’s Gentleman-in-Waiting.

James’ nostrils flare lightly as he looks down at Almira.

“You don’t tell me what to do, James.”

“I’m following Edmund’s orders, Almira.”

She smirks, barely stepping to the side enough to dodge his vice grip aimed for her arm. “Lie one of those hands on me and see what happens, James.”

“You think you’re just going to stroll into his business quarters and expect him to be content with that?” James demands. “You’re mistaken, Almira.”

Over her own footsteps, as she begins to walk down the hallway, Almira listens to James’ shoes create their own echo.

“You have absolutely no idea where you are going, do you?”

Almira stops suddenly, nearly causing James to run into her. Turning her head to the side slightly, she listens to indistinct talking for a few seconds before approaching a tall door.

James quickly approaches her and snatches her hand away from the door after only two knocks.

“Do not touch me!”

The door quickly opens and the Chancellor glares at both Almira and James.

“Where is Edmund?” Almira demands.

James shakes his head, “Disregard her, please, Chancellor.”

Almira’s eyes widen when James begins to drag her away from the door. “Stop it! I told you to not touch me! Stop!”

He continues to pull against the young woman’s full body weight nearly being on the ground at this point.

“James!” The familiar voice is uncharacteristically authoritative, making James immediately release his grip on Almira’s forearms.

“Ugh,” she collides with the ground, her dress cushioning a good portion of the fall.

Edmund quickly walks around Almira, aggressively approaching his Gentleman-in-Waiting. “You are to stay out of my sight for the rest of the day, understand?”

James slowly nods, before slowly stepping away.

Catching the back of the man’s collar, Edmund yanks him back. Speaking through clenched teeth, Edmund glares at the side of James’ curly, brown head of hair. “Never lie a finger on Almira again.”

The younger man stumbles forward when Edmund shoves him, and does not look back as he retreats out of the hallway.

Gently placing his hands on Almira’s waist, Edmund picks the young woman up and sets her on her feet. Silently helping her brush her dress off, he shakes his head. “What are you doing out of your room?”

“You cannot cage me like an animal, Edmund,” Almira whispers, slowly looking up and into Edmund’s eyes. “When was the last time you slept, Edmund?”

He shakes his head, barely shrugging his shoulders.

Shaking her own head, Almira whispers as she looks up at Edmund. “I have no idea what’s going on right now, Edmund. I am begging you, please do not continue to lock me in my room and keep me there. I feel as if I’m losing my mind without any good company.”

The smirk that pulls on half of Edmund’s lips stays for only a second before he bows his head. Not saying a word, he gently grabs Almira’s hand and begins walking down the hallway. He stops in front of the door of her bedchamber.

“Edmund,” she whispers, as if the air in her lungs is gone.

“I will explain everything to you tonight, Almira.” Edmund says, before pulling her hand to his lips and placing a kiss on her knuckles. “Go rest.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the wait.

Feedback is always appreciated.

xoxo