Status: hiatus

Love, and Other Torture Devices

Skeptical of Light

With her chin tilted up slightly, Almira watches as Edmund pulls the string of the bow back before releasing it.

"Bulls-eye number five." Edmund smirks at one of males who is standing around to witness the activity.

"Excellent job, Your Royal Highness."

Edmund smiles, "I believe that would be fünf in your native language, Lady Almira."

"I'm aware," Almira speaks quietly with a nod. "But thank you for the clarification, Prince Edmund."

"You're very welcome, Lady Almira."

Her jaw tightens when Edmund turns his back and continues to shoot arrow after arrow at his target. She slowly rolls the ivory handle of the lace parasol in her hand, feeling the wooden rod spin on her covered shoulder.

"How would you say I'm doing, Lady Almira?"

The brunette's jaw tightens at the Prince's address. She nods, though, "one more bulls-eye and you will have ten."

"But what do you think of that?"

"You're doing well," she nods.

He smirks, aiming his bow and pulling the string back. Releasing it, he nods. "Bulls-eye number ten."

Almira keeps one hand on the ivory handle of her sunshade and the other on her lap as the Prince's few servants that have occupanied their outdoor outing applaud his accomplishment.

"It's lunch time, yes?" He asks a servant as he hands off his bow.

The servant nods, "yes, Your Royal Highness."

"Lady Almira, how does lunch sound?"

"Indoors?"

He nods, "if you wish."

"Lunch sounds lovely." The young woman stands up, holding the parasol in place on her shoulder as she begins walking through the lush green grass next to Edmund, who keeps a slow pace for her. "I honestly don't know how you're able to tolerate the heat and sun for so long."

"I'd say my time in the Army aided in it, but I've always enjoyed the outdoors."

She nods.

"You don't enjoy the outdoors?"

"Not particularly. The sun burns and the heat is not my favorite thing. I'd rather stay in the shade, where I don't sweat or burn."

He laughs, "you're naturally tan, how do you burn?"

"I do and it's rather painful. I attempt to avoid it at all costs."

Shaking his head, the Prince’s smile does not falter. "You're odd."

"Well, I see you as odd, too, Edmund." Almira stops walking as she crosses her arms, lifting her chin. "I see everything here, that your people do, as odd. But this is the first time that I've said anything because I have manners."

The Prince smirks, shaking his head. "Lady Almira," he drags out the address, "my people will soon become your people, too. They will be our people and you're the one coming into new territory. You must learn to adapt and fit in if you wish to be Queen."

"It really isn't a matter of what I wish, is it?" She nearly snarls. "Because being here is not my choice and you know that. If it were up to me, I would be back in my family's kingdom where I am treated like a Princess."

Edmund's jaw tightens as he looks around the empty garden, "how has my kingdom treated you as anything short of their Princess-to-be."

"If one more person refers to me as 'Lady Almira', I will find that bow and shoot myself with it." She shakes her head, "I am not the daughter of a Duke or anyone in the lower Court. I am the daughter of the King and Queen of Augustine."

Edmund is unfazed at the outburst. His defined jaw tightens visibly, however, a moment after a heavy silence lingers over the garden. "You are soon going to be crowned Princess of this kingdom. While your ties to your parent's kingdom will not be forgotten, your primary ties will be here... to your new family; to your new kingdom. You are... in between right now."

Almira swallows heavily, shaking her head and looking away. "I don't want to talk about this anymore."

"Let us go enjoy lunch, then."
♠ ♠ ♠
Feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts. I promise I don't bite.

xoxo