Status: hiatus

Love, and Other Torture Devices

Scare

“I do not like it,” Almira shrugs as she stares at the dim reflection of herself.

Cassandra huffs, her shoulders immediately slumping. “What do you mean, you do not like it?”

“I feel like my breasts are completely exposed.” Almira runs her hands down the front of her gown, smoothing out the bulging skirt of the dress. “This petticoat is not proportional to my body, Cassandra.”

The Lady-in-Waiting smirks, “the dress is supposed to be large, Lady Almira. Larger than life. Just like this wedding is going to be.”

“It’s gaudy.”

The blonde tilts her head to the side.

“There’s no reason for my wedding dress to be so big.”

“It’s every girl’s dream dress,” Cassandra says as she stands up from her seat at the sewing table. She stands next to Latovia’s future Queen, careful not to step on the large dress, pointing out details of the dress as she speaks of them. “This lace and this silk, it is worth much more than any commoner will ever see in their lifetime. Prince Edmund has seen that only the best, most expensive fabrics went into this dress. All for you. You’re a very lucky woman, Almira.”

Tucking her hair behind her ears, Almira looks up from her dress into the reflective glass mirroring an image of herself. “I do like the fitted sleeves. The lace makes my skin itch, but they look nice.”

“See? A positive attitude won’t kill you,” Cassandra smiles.

Almira smirks. “Why risk it, though?”

Cassandra chuckles lightly.

The young brunette continues to admire her reflection in the mirror, moving her curled brown hair over her right shoulder. “Tell me, Cassandra,” she tilts her chin up lightly, “what do you believe Edmund will think of me?”

Cassandra casually slumps in her seat at the sewing table. “What is it that you mean, dear?”

Almira slowly turns away from the mirror to face her Lady-in-Waiting. The train of her dress remains seemingly in the same spot that it was before she turned, extending nearly to Cassandra’s seat at the table. “What do you believe he will think when he sees me in this gown?”

Cassandra slowly smiles, sitting up a little straighter and actually taking in the view of her, and Latovia’s, soon-to-be Queen. When she finally does answer Almira, her voice is quiet, “I think he will fall helplessly in love with you.”

Image


“What do you mean you did not see her leave?!” Edmund screams in the woman’s face. “Your only job was to watch her! Not let her sneak out of her bedchamber!”

The woman shivers lightly, letting her eyes dart over to Cassandra. The blonde woman is standing with her hands folded in front of her abdomen, staring at the angry Prince’s back.

Edmund seethes, pointing a large finger in the woman’s face. His words are quiet, spoken through gritted teeth. “I should have you put to death over this.”

Tears stream down the chambermaid’s face as the Prince storms out of the room. “I-I did not think t-that she would leave, Cassie.”

The blonde woman nods, “I understand. He is just upset because she was supposed to be here, and she’s not. I’m sure she did not run away.”

“I hope not. I do not wish to be put to death,” she sloppily wipes the tears from her face.

Image


Edmund closes the door to his study behind himself, releasing a loud sigh. Hastily, he lights the room’s candles and slowly lowers himself into the large chair at his desk.

On the couch, Almira’s body is peacefully resting on its side. Her eyes are still closed and her mouth is slightly agape. Her thin arms are contorted under her head, forearms serving as her pillow.

The pressure in his chest releases, along with a heavy sigh from his mouth. “I had almost thought you left me,” he whispers under his breath, shaking his head.