Status: hiatus

Love, and Other Torture Devices

Appetite

Her eyelids do not even budge when the curtain hiding her from the view of the bedroom door is drawn.

For a moment, the Prince stands with his arms crossed as he stares down at the sleeping figure.

Her hair is pulled up into a high, large bun, exposing her swollen, blotchy face and pouting lips. Her thin arms are covered by her sleeved nightgown, and wrapped around a pillow that is tucked under her chin.

"Almira," his voice booms throughout the empty room.

The girl's swollen, bloodshot eyes pop open almost immediately.

"Why are you still asleep?"

Her voice is abnormally raspy, "I didn't sleep last night."

"Breakfast is very soon--"

"I'm not hungry," she pulls the curtain shut, lying back down.

The curtain flies back open, held open by Edmund's hand. His jaw is tight and his blue eyes hold a stare that is colder than normal. "Are you not coming to breakfast?"

"I don't have an appetite right now."

Edmund nods, "fine. You can stay in your room for the rest of the day, alone."

Almira's voice is much quieter, "fine."

Silence lingers over them for a moment, before Edmund storms out of the room.

Almira flinches when the heavy door slams shut.

Image


“I forbid anyone from entering Lady Almira’s sleeping quarters until further notice.”

The group of women nods in unison, afraid to question the Prince’s orders.

“There will be severe consequences for anyone who is caught not following this order. For the time being, I am reassigning you all to aiding in the additions to Lady Almira’s wardrobe.” Without waiting for any kind of response from the group, he turns and walks down the corridor. He soundly closes the door to his study before sitting down on the large couch and propping his feet up on an ottoman.

“Would you like me to get you anything, Prince Edmund?”

“Yes, get out of my sight,” Edmund growls, not bothering to pick his head up from its resting place on the back of the couch. “Now.”

The door closes quickly and the study falls silent.
♠ ♠ ♠
Consider this the "part deux" of the last chapter. I feel like the Prince's reaction deserves it's own chapter. It may seem irrelevant now, but it should make sense later.

xoxo