Status: hiatus

Love, and Other Torture Devices

Awake

"I have not seen Lady Almira in two days,” the blonde woman crosses her arms. “What do you think is wrong?”

The male servant blinks, "nobody has seen her, Cassandra.”

“That doesn’t worry you?” She snatches the rag from the male servant’s hand, preventing him from continuing to clean the large table.

He snatches the cloth back, standing up straight. “You’re Lady Almira’s lady-in-waiting. I understand that, but you’ve also got to understand that the Prince knows what he’s doing and you’ve got to trust him to do it.”

"The Prince has forbidden everyone from her quarters.”

He shakes his head, "that is his future wife... he will check on her when he sees fit. If you know what is best, you will go to Lady’s drawing room and continue working on the assignment you were given by our Royal Highness.”

Image


Without knocking, Edmund enters the dimly lit bedroom and closes the door behind him. "You're awake."

Keeping her back to him, Almira nods. Her legs hang over the side of the tall bed, where both side curtains are drawn open.

"And you've bathed," he comments as he walks around the bed, nodding to the woman's damp hair.

She nods, wiping her cheeks. "Yes."

He freezes, watching the young woman run her fingers across her cheeks. "Are you crying?"

Almira does not provide him with an answer, just sniffling loudly as she runs her dainty fingers across her cheeks again.

"You're crying," he says, more to himself than to her. "Why?"

She doesn't answer, bowing her head and covering her face. The baggy sleeves of her nightgown fall down her arms, hitting her elbows.

"What's got you upset, Almira?" The Prince asks firmly.

She shakes her head, keeping her face covered.

Standing in the same spot, he puts his hands in the pockets of his pants.

After a stretched out five minutes, Almira drops her hands in her lap to reveal her red face.

"Answer my question, please," Edmund says quietly.

She shrugs, "I'm just... sad."

"Sad over what?"

She shakes her head, "I miss my home."

He blinks, "what would make you feel better?"

"I don't know," she shrugs. "I just miss my family's castle. That's where I grew up, you know? For the first sixteen years of my life and to just get ripped out and placed here now... it's hard."

He frowns, "but... this kingdom is very excited that you're here now. They adore you."

"That's lovely to know," she whispers, looking down at her hands.

Edmund blinks, "would going to dinner make you feel better?"

She shrugs lightly.