The Devil’s Chivalry

Prologue

Looking at the papers in my hand my mind wrapped around the idea, no, the action that would be the beginning of the impending doom of my family. The thought of their horrified faces brought a genuine smile upon my face and a small giggle to slip past my lips. With my unusually high spirits one would think I’d look like a child on Christmas morning, but no. This, this atrocity of social status I’m about to set in motion is better than anything a person can buy and wrap in paper. Years of intensive thought, devotion, and pain have been put into what I’m about to do. Granted there will be many people who will seek me out after the deed is done, I guarantee it. Though when they come after me both enraged and blood thirsty I shall greet them with a smile. A smile that will haunt them knowing that I know every dark, illicit, scandalous deed they have done.

My hand involuntary found its way onto my burn mark, my index finger tracing the burn’s length down my neck. If only they treated me differently, if only they valued blood over money then maybe I wouldn’t have been this driven. Then again my background is made up of a family that falls towards lust then love, power over fairness, pride over righteousness and wealth over everything humane. Yes, I would agree my families’ ideals are quite immoral, and it’s these things that made me who I am, pushed me where I am, and make me, me. I’m to forever be the black sheep of the Woolgar family, and society’s pariah. I remember my grandmother saying pariahs never amount to anything, well when my actions are brought to light I will relish the look on her face.

“Veronica,” I snapped from my thoughts at the sound of my name, “I know how strong your resolve is, but I must ask one last time. Are you sure you want to do this?”

Tucking the papers back into my leather portfolio I looked at Samuel, “of course I’m sure I want to do this.” I held up the portfolio, “this man will be the insurance I need; we’ll need after the family is put on notification.”

“You know this will also put me in a bad position with my family as well,” Samuel said as I looked at him. His hand was in his hair as he faced forward looking at the back of the passenger’s seat, “I could be disowned.”

“I too face being disowned,” I tapped the portfolio on his head, “and that’s why I’m doing this.” He looked at me and I handed him the leather folder. “I promise you that after this the only ones that will fear being drained of their finances will be my sorry excuse of a family.” A particular face popped in my head at the thought of my family causing my spirits to darken. “I especially want to see my sister’s face contort with misfortune,” my words held every negative feeling I hold towards my equally vindictive other half.

“We’re here,” Samuel said as the car pulled up to the curb, “We’ll call you when we’re done, Henry,” he said to the driver.

My door opened, “remember you don’t know where we are if mother calls,” I said before exiting the car. The last thing I would need is my mother interrupting my plans after so much work has been put in, not to mention the people I’ve invested on. Letting out a sigh I placed my sunglasses on and waited as Samuel gave the door man his tip. Looking up I eyed the ever famous Trump Tower till someone tapped my shoulder.

“Shall we?” Samuel asked and I nodded before the two of us entered hotel. The main lobby was beautiful but we didn’t both dallying and just went for the elevators. With my hands in my pockets I took long strides to quicken my pace to avoid anyone recognizing me. Samuel matched my pace and soon enough we were on our way up to the twenty-ninth floor.

Leaning against the wall I watched the numbers pass with each floor, “you have the copy of the signed contract, correct?” I asked.

“Lucas faxed it to me this morning.”

“Good,” I nodded, “I guess threatening his retainer is the motivation he needed.”

“The mere fact that you threaten to expose his secret was enough to lose his job, but his retainer was going over the edge.”

I shrugged, “I do what I need to.” Besides threatening to expose an affair isn’t as bad as what I really know about Lucas. You’d think that with him being a lawyer and all he’d think twice before acting, but no. He doesn’t have any restraint. Shaking my head at the thought of the lecherous man the elevator dinged and opened its doors on our floor. Exiting first, Samuel followed close behind me as I walked down the hall looking for a specific room.

“Two hundred and forty… Two hundred and forty-one…. Two hundred and forty-two,” I continued further down the hall, “Two hundred and forty-six.” I stood in front of the door suddenly feeling my nerves start to act up. Taking a deep breath I knocked on the door and waited… and waited… and waited. “What is this man crippled or something?!” I screamed and started banging on the door for someone to answer.

“V-Veronica,” Samuel stuttered before pulling me off the door, “give the man time. He maybe in the bathroom, or on the phone, or even sleeping,” there was a click and the door opened. A scruff looking man answered the door looking unshaven and lacking clothing. “Excuse me, Ver.” Suddenly I was let go of and Samuel pushed his way into the man’s room and closed the door behind him rather violently. I stood in the hall in shook till the door cracked open, “Ah, why don’t you go grab yourself a bagel or coffee for the time being? I’ll have him ready in fifteen minutes and suitable for you then.” Samuel held out his wallet and I took it before he closed the door again. There was loud yelling, a few bangs, and then silence.

Taking a deep breath I took off my sunglasses and I started knocking on the door till it opened with enough space that I pushed myself in. “Listen I don’t have time to grab a bagel or coffee or whatever else. We only have today to do this and the last thing I want to do is wander around, have someone recognize me and phone home. The main house believes I’m here in the city for a check of the Synn Company,” I said marching through the condominium into the man’s bedroom. “So throw on a shirt and pair of pants because I’m not waiting. Not anymore.”

The man looked at me and then at Samuel who stood next to him, both wearing baffled expressions. Without another word I stepped out of the room and walked into the living room feeling flustered as I looked at the video camera and notebook set up. Bypassing the equipment I walked out onto the terrace and looked out at the city’s hustle and bustle. Boats sailed on Lake Michigan as cars drove over a small bridge while people walked along the streets with shopping bags, a great view of the east side of Chicago. Feeling the wind whipped through my hair I felt my cell vibrate in my back pocket making me reach for it. Looking at the screen my sister’s name lit up and I scowled at the white six letters before dismissing the call. She could be on her death bed and I wouldn’t answer her call.

I can still hear her voice and the distain each word held just before I left on this little trip.

“If I were you I wouldn’t bother returning,” she said with a glint of mischief in her eyes. Her face mirrored mine with our completion, structure, eyes and nose. She mirrored me, but not completely as for I have one big feature that she doesn’t have. “It’s not like the family will miss an ugly being like yourself,” she reached out and cupped my face with both hands. “They should do what everyone does to broken things,” she smiled and leaned closer to my ear. “Just throw them anyway.”

I gripped the rail at the memory and hung my head trying to push her wicked words from my mind. It’s true I may be marred, but the one that’s truly ugly is her. You can’t see it on the outside because of the façade she likes to show off, but on the inside she’s as rotten and ugly as can be. It’s only natural to be ugly on the inside when you tried to put your own blood six feet under. Sometimes I wonder if we are put together if anyone will see who the real ugly one is, who the real monster is.

“Veronica,” I snapped upright and I turned around at Samuel voice. “He’s ready.”

Moving off the rail I walked back into the room and looked at the man now sporting white flannel bottoms and a batman shirt standing by a loveseat. He fidgeted under my gaze as I studied him now shaven with his semi long hair pulled back into a ponytail. “Ah,” he shot his hand out to me, “the name’s Alex. Alexander Kimble is my full name, but everyone calls me Alex.”

I smiled, “I know.” He quirked an eyebrow as I walked into the living room and sat on a sofa. “I also know you’re twenty-nine years old and turning thirty next week on Wednesday. You graduated from Columbia here in Chicago for fiction writing, but so far the only thing you’ve been doing to survive is making food deliveries in China Town. You were evicted from your apartment about a month ago and have been living on your friend Thomas Downing’s couch ever since.” He stared at me as I continued, “you’re parents are divorced and you refuse to take any help from them, especially from you’re father, and you are a big momma’s boy. Especially now more than ever as she has been in and out for the hospital due to falling health, cervical cancer, correct?”

He averted his eyes to the floor, “yes.”

“I’m sorry. I can’t imagine the stress and pain you and her are going through,” he nodded as he took the seat across from me.

“How do you know all this about me?”

“It’s only natural for a person to research someone they are about to meet,” I crossed my legs, “don’t tell me you didn’t do research on me.”

He shook his head, “I did look you up, but there really isn’t much out there.”

I nodded, “understandable. My family rarely likes to have their little black sheep roam around for pestering people to see.” I leaned forward, rested my elbow on my knee, and place my chin in the palm of my hand, “so what did you find out about me?”

“Well you’re parents are Clint and Monica Woolgar and you have a twin sister named Raquel. Both of you are only nineteen years old and live somewhere Virginia at your family’s estate. When you were seven years old your family’s vacation house in Florida caught fire and you received burns from then…” he trailed off probably eyeing my scars from that incident. He coughed a bit, “after that there is only information about some richie rich school you graduated from. Nothing else.”

Leaning back in the sofa I mulled what he said over, “yeah that all sounds about right.”

“Thank God,” Alex let out a breath, “it took a lot of time just to find that much.”

“I only said that sounds about right,” I wagged my finger, “your information has some rather large holes in it.” His momentarily happy expression fell, “but then again this is the reason I’m here.”

His face changed like he suddenly remembered something, “yeah… about that. Why are you here? Why put me in this place and have me sign a contract.”

I smiled, “I’ve placed you here as a way to protect you from the people that like to hurt me. The contract is my way of ensuring how my information will be discreetly slipped into the public’s eye as well as promising you a rather large payday.”

Alex leaned forward, eyes full of curiosity, “what do you mean by information?”

“By information I mean everything the public doesn’t know about the Woolgar family. Details that will fill in the large gaps in your research,” my cell vibrated again making me pull it out of my pocket and turn it completely off. “It’s common knowledge that not everything in this world is black and white. Take that fire that happened for example,” I waved my hand, “what did it say on the internet?”

“That it was due to a candle not being blown out. A simple accident.”

“And what if I told you that it wasn’t an accident?” I tilted my head, “and what if I said this,” I tapped my scar. “Is the pride and joy of an arsonist?”

His eyes widened, “then I want to know everything.”

I glanced at Samuel whose hair looked disheveled most likely from constantly running his hand through his hair. Though right now he is rubbing his temples like he’s trying to fight an oncoming migraine from all the stress he’s endured. “God, I’m warm,” Samuel said suddenly. “Is anyone else warm?” he took off his leather jacket revealing his light grey tee. The moment he turned to his left my eyes fell on the burn mark decorating his right forearm. “I’ll be outside for a while,” he said and quickly left the room.

Returning my gaze to Alex I found him playing with the video camera beside his chair. “I plan on telling you everything you need to know.”

He smiled and went back to his seat with a little remote in his hand, “Cool.”

“So where do you want me to start?” I asked him, “this may be my story, but you will be the one telling it.”

He reached to pick up a notebook from the side table, “start at the beginning.”

“There’s many beginnings.”

“True,” he muttered and started gnawing at his pen. “Well… start where ever you feel like.” He pressed a button on the remote and looked at the camera. “Okay it’s on,” he returned to face me, “research interview with the esteemed Veronica Woolgar.” He smiled at me, “So Miss Woolgar, where will we begin?”

I looked at the camera with a small smile decorating my face, “well before I even begin I must say this. My so called family consists of the most immoral, sadistic, lustful, money grubbing backstabbers there can be. Love and family means nothing to them and I am living proof of that,” I said feeling pretty proud of my words. “In truth all the corruption within the family started before I was even born, and like a poison it just spread to the next generation. The fire is proof of that, no doubt, and no matter what I will shed enormous light on that event. But where I want to begin is nine months ago.”

Alex corked a brow, “why start there?”

I could feel my face turn grim, “because that’s when their filthy hands touched something they shouldn’t have.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you think! I'm going to try and make this a story of how dark the glamorous world of the rich can be. So trust me, this is going to be quite different from anything else, or at least that’s how I’m going to try and make it.