Sequel: Thinking of Winter

Crowded Room

Chapter One: Jace

The bodies were joined in a dancing frenzy, the stench of sweat, sex and alcohol filled the air. I let the music overtake me, as my fingers and hands guided themselves over the turntables as if they had a mind of their own. Everything that I had experienced in my life and all of the emotion I've felt over the last three years went into what I did, and nothing could ever stop me...

"Last call!" the bartender yelled, causing me to break out of my reverie. Nothing could ever stop me ... except that.


I looked at my cell phone, it was 2:45 AM, meaning we had to get everyone out and have this place straightened up my no later than 3:15. I stopped the music and got everything in it's place. Once the bartender yelled last call, I normally cleaned my area and hi-tailed it out of here.

I said goodnight to Mr. Emerson, the night club owner, and Jarrek, the bartender. My bag hung loose from my shoulder as I walked out the club door and into the waking morning of New York. I took a deep breath of air in -- only to gag and cough. Although I've lived in New York my entire life, the smells of exhaust mixed with various other things always got to me.

I hailed for a taxi as I pulled out my pack of cigarettes and lit it up. After a few minutes, a taxi finally pulled up to the curb. Getting in, I gave my address, and rolled the window down as I took a hit off of my stick. I sank into the worn seat of the cab -- which smelled of sweat and tobacco -- and let my muscles relax a bit.

The cab had finally taken off into the somewhat crowded street, and I let my eyes close partially. I was always exhausted when I got off of work, and I knew I could easily fall asleep in the back of the cab if I could. Well, I could, but then I'd piss of the driver because I am a heavy sleeper.

As the driver weaved in and out the slow-moving traffic, I felt my eyes getting a bit heavy, and realized there was no way I was going to be staying awake tonight.

-Time Elapse-

I felt myself sit up abruptly, looking around for a moment. "We're here," the driver said, causing me to look at him. "Oh. I--" I started, grabbing my bag and pulling out my money to pay him. "I'm sorry. I hope I wasn't too much trouble to wake up. I normally don't fall asleep in a cab." I handed him the money as he laughed.

"Actually, you were rather easy. I had just pulled up about two or three minutes ago," he replied, smiling at me in the rear-view mirror. I nodded as I smiled at him and then got out, swinging my bag over my shoulder and heading up the stairs of my apartment building.

Walking in the door, I looked around the first floor, which was a rather cramped space for a long moment. I remembered so many things about this building, and I felt the tears screaming for release. Letting out a sigh, I closed the door and ran up the stairs, not stopping until I reached my floor.

Seeing my door almost immediately, I unlocked it quickly and went it, closing and locking it behind me as I dropped my bag next to it and kicked my shoes off. It was going on 6, and I was getting sleepy again. Falling to my couch, I yawned for a moment and before I could relax much more, I was out, dreaming of a far off place where my brother ... was still alive.