Sequel: Thinking of Winter

Crowded Room

Chapter Eleven: Jace

My cheeks were warm.. and not from the heat of the club. It was him, the guy who came to the bar. I was doing everything in my power to keep my hands steady, but I could tell that I wasn't going to last much longer. "Go get a drink, you're spazzing," Wesley yelled, pushing me out of the way and taking over for me. I stumbled a bit before catching my balance.

I made my way through the crowd towards the bar, my head spinning a bit. After getting through the mass of flesh on the dance floor, I realized the only free seat was next to him. I took a deep breath and made my way over to it, keeping my gaze on Jarrek's lithe movements.

"What can I get for you, Jockey?" he asked, wiping down the bar before me. "The usual?" I nodded, unable to speak. "What? Cat got your tongue?" he said, chuckling as he made my drink. I just glared at him.

Setting my drink before me, I grabbed his shirt collar and whispered, "This man to my left is driving me insane. And not the Wes kind of insane." Jarrek stole a quick glance to the dude and raised an eyebrow. I nodded, knowing he knew what I meant.

"Finish up, I cold use help back here," Jarrek said, causing me to nod. I downed what little of the drink there was and climbed on top of the bar, getting whistles from behind me.

"Clear the bar!" I yelled, causing the cups to be removed as well as anything else breakable. I pulled Jarrek up and we started dancing, causing people to cheer. Laughing, the both of us eventually stopped and hopped off the bar, landing behind the counter.

Time Elapse

The night was still a bit young, but you could tell the energy from before was barely there. I had recovered enough to take over my job again, giving Wesley time to spend with his buddies from school that he had hung out with when I was too busy.

I saw the bouncer making his way over to me, causing me to stare at him in curiosity. "Think you could catch me up around here? Tell me who's who?" he asked, once he was close enough. Since the music wasn't loud at the moment, I could hear him easily.

"Well, last call is normally around 2:45. Place has to be emptied and straightened by 3:15. Mr Emerson doesn't get bothered by anyone unless there is a reason or unless he calls for you. Bartender is Jarrek. I'm Jace -- or Jockey -- the DJ, obviously. The dude who took over for earlier is Wesley. He is technically not supposed to do it, but we do it anyway. He's also an unofficial bouncer here. At least, he was while Mr. Emerson was out."

The guy nodded and stared at me for a moment. "I'm Liam. The official bouncer and also the owner's son," he said, sticking out his hand. I gulped, afraid I said too much. I shook his hand and he smiled briefly. Shortly after, he walked off, taking his place back at the bar just as last call was yelled.