Sequel: Thinking of Winter

Crowded Room

Chapter Nineteen: Jace

I felt anger pulsating throughout my entire being. I knew Liam was wanting me to just stay away, to keep from getting hurt, but I couldn't walk away. I was always told by my brother, if I care enough about someone, help them out.

I removed my jacket, removed my shirt, and tightened up the laces of my boots. Straightening up, I took a quick stance, spun around and my leg went flying, my foot connecting hard to the face of whom I supposed was his boyfriend. The guy stumbled back, gripping his jaw and nose. "Son of a bitch! You're paying for that, shit head!" he screamed.

"Bring it, jackass," I said, motioning him to come closer with my fingers. He came towards me in a fury, the palm of my hand connecting with his already bloodied nose. I bent down and swung my leg around, causing his feet to come out from under and him landing on his back.

He stood up, and Liam came in between us. "Stop it! Both of you!" he yelled, looking back and forth between the two of us. "There is no need for this!"

"Bullshit!" the guy yelled, holding his broken nose. The guy made his way towards me, only to be punched hard by Liam. I swear there was a deafening crack! that went through the club, because everyone seemed to stop and turn towards the fight.

The guy fell to the floor unconscious, his face bloody and bruised. I looked at Liam who had a look of surprise on his face. He turned around and looked directly at me, my face curious. "That felt good," he said, a smile appearing on his face and a small chuckle escaping him.

I grabbed my shirt and slipped it back on, letting out a sigh. I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around to find Mr. Emerson standing there. "Thank you, son," he said, causing me to look at him in confusion. "I knew my son was in a horrid relationship, but being around you -- and around here -- has helped him stand up to his enemy."

"Dad, I --" but Mr. Emerson stopped him in his tracks.

"I am a very popular man, son. So I hear things," he said, smiling back at Liam. "You two take the night off." He winked at us both and told Jarrek he was to be the bouncer and the bar keep for the rest of the night, which caused Jarrek to do a happy dance once Mr. Emerson was out of the room.

Grabbing my jacket, I ran over to the booth and told Wesley, who nodded and handed me my bag, all while keeping everything going. He was good -- real good. I knew the music was in good hands, so I ran over to and then out the door, my eyes locking with Liam's.

"Ready to party?" he asked. I threw him a thumbs up, grabbed a cigarette out of my pocket and lit it. He hailed a cab, which came quicker than one ever had before, and we slid in, telling the driver to take us anywhere but here.