Sequel: Thinking of Winter

Crowded Room

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Jace

It's been a week since I worked, a week since I last saw Liam, and a week since I last talked to anyone who cared about me. I looked at my phone, stared at it intently for a long moment. Finally, I turned it on. After a moment, it beeped multiple times, letting me know that I had voice mail and texts.

Every single text was from Liam, asking where I was, asking me to please call him back, and saying he was worried about me. I called voice mail and listened as every message from Liam got more and more panicked. Once all the messages were listened to, brought up my contacts and stared at Liam's name for a long moment.

Just as I was about to press the call button, my phone started ringing, it was Jarrek. Answering it, I said, "Hello?"

"Where the hell are you? Liam is going crazy. Well, not in front of everyone, but I can tell he's torn up. He hardly talks to anyone or smiles," Jarrek said, getting more and more pissed as he continued to speak.

"I think I'm in Jersey," I said, looking around the street I was currently on. I knew New York like the back of my hand, and where I was at looked nothing like New York. "Is Liam around?" I asked, knowing he was in the club because I could hear the music.

"Yeah, hold on." A few minutes came and went before I heard Jarrek's voice. "He's dealing with something right now, but I'll stay on the phone until he's done."

"You know the reason why I haven't talked to anyone is your fault, as well as Zeth's, right?" I asked, standing up, grabbing my bag, and heading towards the closest diner for food. "You two are also the reason as to why I left as well."

"I figured as much," he replied, his voice a bit fainter now as he took someone's drink order. "Alright, Liam's coming, I'll give him the phone so you two can talk alright."

"Yeah, alright," I replied, picking at my hem as I walked into the diner and took a seat at the counter. I placed an order for coffee and a burger as I waited for Liam to start talking. I thanked the woman behind the counter just as Liam said Hello.

"Hey, Liam," I said, just over a whisper.

"Jace? Where are you?" he asked, sounding scared and relieved at the same time. I could see him rubbing his eyes and leaning against the counter in the exhaustion I've caused him over the last week.

"Hoboken," I said, thanking the woman for my food. I took another drink of coffee and then taking a bite of food. Swallowing, I said, "I crossed over into Jersey sometime between Wednesday and today. Judging by the surroundings, and the diner I'm in, I'm in Hoboken. My jackass as a brother talked about the diner quite often and I came here every now and again."

"What caused you to leave?" he asked, sounding curious.

"I thought you knew," I said, thinking at least Jarrek would have told him. "Jarrek knew my brother was still alive, took me to the back room and revealed to me after three years my brother survived the accident in which I was lead to believe killed him. I'm pissed off at my brother because he didn't bother to contact for three years. I knew they were just trying to protect me, but I would have been okay had they told me a lot sooner."

I finished my coffee and downed what was left of my burger, thanking the woman again and paying for everything. "I don't know when I'll be back in NYC, but until I can figure out what I'm going to do, I'm going to stay with some friends of my brother's for a while here in Jersey. I'll call you again tomorrow morning. Please get some sleep, love," I said, then hung up. I dialed Rodney's number and waited.

"Jace?" he said, sounding shocked. "Didn't think I'd ever hear from you."

"Yeah, it has been a while. Hey, I know this is sudden and all, but do you think I can stay with you for a few days? I can explain everything when I get there."