Sequel: Thinking of Winter

Crowded Room

Chapter Thirty-One: Jace

I didn't know what to say, so I said the first thing that came to mind. "I'm moving." I saw Liam's face contort in multiple emotions before finally stopping on angered sadness. "I really have to get away from my brother if I ever want to find peace. It's going to be upstate, and I'll still be at the club, but not as much. I was going to ask you to come along, but I know you're wanting to be near your father after all that's happened."

"Jace..." he started but I shook my head. I pressed my lips to his and pulled him into the apartment. He tried to pull away, but I clung to him so tight that he wasn't able to ... at least not easily. When he finally broke free, he grabbed my hands and held them between his own. "What are we doing? I never wanted to fall in love, and I'm trying my damnedest to fall out of love with you ... you're making it impossible."

"Isn't that the point?" I said, smirking a bit and causing him to laugh. Liam shrugged a bit before meeting my gaze, a look of pain quickly showing itself before leaving. "Look, I know it's hard to deal with. I promised myself I would never care for a living soul like I did my brother, and then you walked in, so in a way, I know what you're going through."

We didn't talk for a while after that; we just enjoyed each other's company in a comfortable silence. Just as I was about to say something, I looked over to Liam and saw him fast asleep, his chin on his chest and his arms crossed. I stifled a giggle and stood up, opening the hall closet and pulling out a blanket. I threw it over him before lying down on what was left of the couch, curling up and falling into slumber's gentle grasp.

Time Elapse

I awoke the next morning to find the apartment empty, and a note by the coffee pot. I picked it up and read it with a partially blurry gaze.

Dear Jace,

Sorry about leaving so abruptly. Pops was needing some housework done around the house that required my muscles. If I don't call you before work, I'll see you then.

L.


I tried to sigh but it came out as a yawn, so I started the coffee pot and went to the bathroom to empty my bladder.

The day was rather uneventful, other than packing up what little stuff I had and taking it out to the moving truck. The driver was a rather eccentric fellow, but he was a rather interesting chatting buddy.

We arrived to the new apartment and we made our way upstairs to my new home. It was much larger than my old one, so I had more space to move in and more space to put things that I don't need. Once we were finished, I payed the man and started setting up my new place.

Time Elapse

As I figured, Liam never called me before work, but that was to be expected. I had just gotten out of the cab when I saw Liam already throwing someone out. "If I ever see your ass around here again, you can bet your life I'll be handing it to you on a sliver platter." I looked at Liam with a shocked gaze before paying the driver and closing the door.

"Hey, Jace," Liam said as I passed him and walked into the club.

"Hey, Liam," I replied, throwing him a goofy smile and throwing my bag on the ground behind the bar. "Hey, Lauren, where's ass-hat?" I asked, seeing our normal temp bar-keep mixing a few drinks. She was the bomb and I swear, if I were straight, I'd so be dating her.

"He quit. Couldn't take the pressure of having you look at him with angered and pained expression on your face," she said, throwing up a bottle. "I heard what happened; I'm so sorry." Lauren gave me a look of understanding and I just waved it off.

"You a permanent now?" I asked, reaching behind the bar and grabbing a beer. She nodded as she handed the drinks to a customer and smacked my arm playfully. "Awesome!" I said in a high pitched voice and disappearing into the crowd.

As I took my usual spot, I glanced over at Liam and saw him chatting it up with Lauren. It made me smile seeing them two get along; although, it was inevitable. Lauren has a very addictive personality.

I started the beats up and the crowd became wild. For the first time in weeks, I felt ... happy. Why, I couldn't tell you.

It all came crashing down immediately, though. All I knew was I ducked down behind the table when the first shot sounded.