Sequel: Thinking of Winter

Crowded Room

Chapter Thirty-Five: Jace

Weeks flew by, and Liam became much better. He got back into the routine of work, and the air about the club to relax.

Zeth and I were still having a hard time communicating with one another, mainly because I was still having an issue with him lying to me these last few years. I was slowly beginning to trust Jarrek again, but he was still far from getting back to where he was before.

I watched Liam and Zeth talking, both of them smiling time and again at something the other said. A small smile appeared on my face as I watched the two most important people of my life getting along. I suppose it wouldn't be so hard to forgive my brother. I mean, I don't want to ruin the budding friendship between him and Liam.

When the other DJ walked up to take over for the time being, I stepped down and made my way towards the bar, only to be stopped by one of the regulars. "Who's the new guy?" she asked, pointing towards Zeth. I stared at him for a long moment, contemplating telling the truth.

"He's my brother, Zeth," I replied, seeing a spark of interest in her eyes. "Yes, he's single. And straight," I went on, the smile on her face widening. I said my goodbye and continued my way over to the bar. Once there, I wrapped my arms around Liam and kissed his cheek, a husky laugh coming from deep within him.

"Didn't think you be here this early," he said, looking at the clock on the bar. "Oh, guess it's later than I thought." Pressing a kiss to my temple, he pulled out a stool for me and then winked at me. Giggling, I sat down and ordered my usual.

As I drank and watched the nightlife around me starting to wear out a bit, one of the men who worked near Mr. Emerson's office walked over to Liam, a startled and serious expression etched on his face. I saw Liam's face fall before he excused himself and made a mad dash for his father's office.

Pulling the bouncer, Mike, aside, I asked, "What's going on?" Mike looked at me for a long moment before responding.

"Mr. Emerson's dead," he said, his voice cracking. "He had another heart attack and before I could even pull my phone out to call 911, he was gone."

I felt my heart break, and quickly made my way towards Emerson's office. Once there, I saw Liam on his knees, tears falling like waterfalls. "He was all I had left. I ..." he started, but his voice faded and he was nothing but choked sobs.

Wrapping my arms around him, I held his shaking body. We were vaguely aware of the EMTs and police walking around us. Neither of us said a word, just sat there in the office. I don't know what I can do to ease his pain, but if my past is any indication, he won't ever really heal from this.