Project Freelancer

Chapter Three

0630

The six agents entered the hold where they we to be departed. The Director and Counselor were standing next to a Pelican ship, waiting for them.

"Is everyone ready?" The Counselor asked. The agents nodded as they boarded the ship.

"We will give you your first mission when you land." Said the Director, the hatchet of the ship closed and the shipped dropped into space.

"Here we go." Michigan said. The ship hovered for a moment, then started it's way to their destination.

"We will arrive at Blood Gulch in two hours." Said a man over the intercom.

"Two hours? Man this sucks. I should have brought some magazines." Virginia said. Agent Kansas laid his sniper on the floor and leaned back as he went to sleep.

"Looks like we've lost Kansas already." Michigan said.

"I think we should all get some sleep. It will beat having sit in awkward silence." Maryland said as she too set her gun down and laid back. The rest did the same and they slept on the ship.

0834

"Wake up agents, we have reached our destination." The Pelican landed in the middle of the Blood Gulch Canyon. Everyone sat up and picked up their guns as the door opened. They stepped out one by one onto the field, they looked around to took in the view of the area.

"It's a bowl." Maryland said. "It's a god damn bowl."

"Why would the Director send us here?" Michigan asked. Maryland clenched her fists.

"I don't know, but..." The engines of the Pelican roared as the ship started to take off.

"Hey! You son of a bitch, get back here!" Maryland said. She raised her SMG at the Pelican. Michigan quickly put his hand on the gun and lowered it.

"Calm down Maryland. I'm sure the Director has a good reason for putting us down here." Maryland put away her SMG.

"So what do we do now." Kansas asked. Maryland looked around. She saw two bases on each side, both had strange emblems on them, one was red and another was blue.

"Okay, Michigan, Kansas, and Virginia. Go check out the base with red markings on it. The rest of us will go check the one with blue markings."

"Okay. On it." Michigan said. He walked down the hill and to the base followed by Kansas and Virginia.

"Okay Vermont, Indiana. Let's get moving." Maryland lead her team to the other base. They walked down the opposite hill and immediately saw a vehicle. They ventured to it.

"Looks like an old Warthog." Indiana said.

"How would you know it's old?" Michigan asked.

"We don't make them in black and yellow anymore."

"What about that one over there?" Vermont asked. They walked over to it. Indiana look over it.

"It's the same as that one, the paint is a little lighter then our current ones though."

"Okay well let's inspect the inside of this base." Maryland said. They walked into the front of the base, eventually they walked into the center of the base.

"This is it? this is just a damn shell. There's nothing here." Maryland punched a wall.

"Take it easy Maryland, there's not need to get worked up." Vermont looked around as well. "It will admit though this is very disappointing."

"Disappointing is an understatement." Indiana said. "What does he expect us to do with this?"

"Fuckin ridicules." Maryland sighed. A moment later engines from a ship could be heard in front of the base. Then, second later footsteps.

"Good they have comeback." Maryland walked to the north-east corner of the room.

"Maryland wait I don't think..." Vermont began.

"Shut up Vermont I'm going to get us out of here." She turned and walked down the hall, when she turned to her right she heard a yelp. She look down to see a Covenant Grunt jump back from her and take out a plasma grenade and throw it at her. The grenade missed but stuck to the wall behind her.

"Lookout Maryland." Vermont ran to Maryland and tackled her as the grenade exploded. The force of the explosion pushed Vermont and Maryland into a wall, Vermont hit the wall first as Maryland smashed into him knocking him out.

"Ouch, that hurt." She said as she sat up. She shook her head and quickly assessed the situation. She looked for her gun, she spotted at the place where she had just been.

"Maryland, Orders!" Indiana shouted as he drew his Magnum. Maryland looked around.

"Quick, get to the wall opposite me, we have to keep them out. I'll move Vermont over here and watch the rest of the base."

"But Maryland."

"Dammit Indiana don't argue just do as your told!" Maryland dragged Vermont into the base and Indiana got into position. Maryland picked up Vermont's shotgun and got ready for battle.