Project Freelancer

Chapter Six

Michigan walked into the base to look for Virginia, when he entered he saw Kansas leaning on a wall.

"Kansas, have you seen Virginia?" Kansas seemed to have just woken up as he shook his head and looked up.

"What?"

"Have you seen Virginia?" Michigan asked again, Kansas pointed up.

"She's working on the Banshee."

"Thanks." Michigan walked out of the base, and used the ramp on the left side to get to the top of the base. Virginia seemed to be salvaging useable parts from the Banshee they Michigan took out.

"Hey Virginia." Michigan walked up to her. She stopped working and stood up.

"Yes?"

"I need to talk to you. It's about Indiana." Virginia nodded.

"I figured this would come up."

"Let's talk about this else where." Michigan walked over to a teleporter.

"What's that?" Virginia asked.

"It's a teleporter."

"Have you ever used one?"

"Nope, but I'm sure it's not that complicated." Michigan walked into the teleporter. Virginia looked out into field. she spotted Michigan from a distance waving.

"Okay, here I go." She walked through. She came out of the teleporter and bumped into Michigan. "Oh sorry."

"Its okay." Virginia looked at Michigan.

"What the hell is all over your armor?" Michigan looked himself over. He realized he was covered in some sort of black dust. His armor was barely visible.

"Um, I don't know." He started to pat down his armor. The dust came off pretty easily. "Anyways lets check out that cave over there."

"Okay." They started walking down to the cave directly across from them.

"So can you tell me about Indiana?" Michigan asked. Virginia nodded. She took a deep breath and began.

"In training Indiana was on top with his weapon skills. Shotguns, pistols, AR's you name it. He was good with it, even Covenant weapons. Unfortunately he was a victim of staged accidents."

"Staged Accidents?"

"Yeah, there was a guy named Chuck Finley. He was a good soldier. He hated Indiana because of his popularity with their training squad, and with me."

"Was it bad?"

"Yeah they fought a few times, but one day he tampered with the sights on a sniper rifle Indiana was suppose to use for training that day. When Indiana shot it hit the wall at an angle and rebounded to the ceiling. From there it bounce and few over Indiana's head and hit one of his friends. Put him in the hospital."

"Where did he get hit?"

"It penetrated his stomach."

"Damn, is he okay?"

"He slipped in a coma due to blood loss. He's been asleep for fourteen months."

"Is that why Indiana can only use the pistol?"

"No there was one more accident. This happened three months ago, me and Indiana were told to train out reflex skills by dodging Spartan Laser shots."

"What!?" Michigan exclaimed. Virginia shook her head.

"The Lasers had been modify to shoot very weak blasts, if we got hit it was just a short sting of pain. Indiana and myself where the first to go, Chuck was the one to hand Indiana his gun. I should have suspected something when he did that."

"Why didn't you?"

"I'm not sure, anyways Indiana charged the gun, I got ready to dodge. When the gun fired I jumped into the air. The shot hit me, the pain was more then I thought it would have been, I fell on my ass pretty hard. When I looked around everyone was staring at me in shock. Indiana was on the ground, I could see the shock in our commander's eyes." Virginia stopped walking.

"Are you okay?" Michigan asked.

"I looked down at my legs and they were gone. From the thighs down there was nothing. I was immediately rushed to the emergency room for surgery. Last thing I remember was looking up and seeing Indiana's visor, I couldn't see his eyes but I could see the tears rolling into his mouth and down his cheek. Next thing I remember was the doctor telling me that they had given me cybernetic legs, I also learned that Indiana was going on trial for attempted murder."

"Attempted murder? Weren't they jumping to conclusions rather quickly?"

"Yeah that's what I said, but I couldn't do anything about it. Anyways when the trial went on Indiana had a pretty good alibi, which showed he never had the time to modify the gun. So they charged him with a misdemeanor and banned him from using any kind of weapon except the pistol."

"Wait, if he got a misdemeanor, why did he get punished."

"They weren't totally convinced he had nothing to do with it." They continued to walk into the cave. Moments later a figure in brown Mach VI armor jump from the top of the cave and run towards blue base.