I'll give you my sincerity

10

Rachel's POV

"Rach, come here!" Emilee whispered urgently. We were outside, by the football field. Rebecca, Emilee and Crimson were sat on the grass. I motioned to Kelly who came over too. I knelt down besides the others and looked at their faces. Emilee was staring at the floor twirling a piece of grass between her fingers. Crimson was playing with her hair and Rebecca looked white. I mean, really white. She was generally pale, but she looked anemic now.
"What's up?" I asked. No one answered me at first. Then Crimson started talking.
"You know in Biology?" I nodded, unfolding my legs from beneath me and sitting down properly. "You were sat next to Wolfie, right?" I nodded again. She glanced behind her as if she didn't want anybody else to hear this conversation.
"Was she acting funny?" I frowned, attempting to remember what had happened. I bit my lip, thinking. The others watched me patiently, awaiting an answer.
"Mikey was," Kelly said, suddenly. "He asked me what lesson we were in, forgot the teacher's name. Then he was watching Gerard and then started watching Wolfie too. It was like they were talking to each other, but not speaking. Does that make sense?" she asked. We all nodded. A feeling of unease began to stir in my stomach.
"I was sat next to Gerard," Rebecca said thoughtfully. "But he had his back to me, not looking at me. He was watching Mikey. Well, more like watching him, you know?"
"I was talking to Frank," Emilee added. "Luckily he never noticed anything. He was a bit hyper this morning. I poked Rebecca in the back. Frank thought I was just doing it to annoy her. But I wanted her attention. Because when the light caught Gerard's hair, I saw a red streak. It was running down his neck too. It was blood." She swallowed. "And now, Wolfie, Mikey and Gerard have gone. Apparently, Bob saw them leave. But he saw Gerard walking. There was nothing wrong with him. Apart from he had wet hair."
"That's not normal," Kelly muttered. "But, I know Mikey. He's completely normal. Honest."
"But that's the thing," I said, suddenly realising what they were saying. "No one actually knows them. Where did they come from? Where do they live? Who are they?"
An uneasy silence followed. A cold wind began to blow, making us all shiver. I sighed, digesting what we had just said. Did we trust these people? Of course. But something wasn't right for sure. It all started adding up. Wolfie's strength in volleyball. Puncturing the ball. Her unnatural strength. Their odd behaviour. Whispering together as if they knew something that the rest of us didn't.
"Do the guys know about this?" I blurted out. Emilee looked up. She shook her head slowly.
"I don't think we should tell them either. It's too risky. Besides, Frank would ask them straight out. He's no good at keeping secrets, especially when he's had sugar." We all sighed, simultaneously.
"So..." Crimson looked at us all. "What do we do?"