Status: Coming Soon!!

Who Knew Then? (What We Know Now?)

It Just Had To

Jared

She didn’t come. I’d almost thought she would, because both Tanya and Lindsay would be here. I’d tried to keep my head up all game, and had searched the crowd looking for her, holding on to the tiny shred of hope that she’d show up, if not for me for them. But there’d been no sign of her anywhere, which made me even more depressed about us losing the game. Somehow, in my mind I’d convinced myself that she would be there, and that I’d be able to apologize and beg for her forgiveness, at least be able to figure out how to contact her so that we could try to work it out. Now that dream was crushed, and I was back to the low I’d been at weeks before.

“All right, see you guys,” I managed a half smile for my family as I hugged them goodbye; Eric, Tanya and the boys were going to drive Marc and Lindsay back to the hotel, while I had opted out, saying I was too tired and just needed to get to sleep.

I began to walk away, but stopped when I heard my nephew’s voice.

“Mommy, why can’t we tell Uncle Jared?” I pretended to look at a plaque on the wall, trying to be inconspicuous and straining to hear what he was saying as they walked away.

“Tell Uncle Jared what?” Tanya asked, and I knew that with my cap pulled down even if she looked she wouldn’t be able to pick me out from the large group of hockey players still in the hallway.

“About Aunty Kassy being here,” my heart stopped beating in my chest, and I whipped around. I couldn’t see them anymore, and felt myself start to tremble. She had been here. She’d been sitting watching the fucking game and I hadn’t even been able to pick her out of the crowd, to say hello, or drop to my knees and beg for her forgiveness. I’d had to start taking sleeping pills because she haunted my dreams at night, and if I wasn’t careful when I was walking in the mall or something every time I turned around I thought I saw her out of the corner of my eye; a girl who looked similar, and every time my heart sped up and I felt happy until I realized it wasn’t her.

I clenched my fists and tried to even my breaths, before standing up and leaving the arena. She’d actually come out to the game.

That had to mean something, it just had to.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this chapter is super shot, but I'm going to post another one right away to make up for it! Please let me know what you think!