Status: Coming Soon!!

Who Knew Then? (What We Know Now?)

Just Us?

Jared

The game went well, except for the fact it went to a shootout. I’d managed an assist, and was feeling okay after the way I’d played. The coach had pulled me aside and talked to me, noticing my change in mood. I’d explained that I was going through some personal issues, and he’d tried to talk me into going to counseling. I’d told him I was working through it on my own, that I just needed some time, and he’d said if I ever needed to talk to just knock on his office door.

I’d slightly estranged myself from Eric and Tanya too, knowing that they’d kept all of this from me had me feeling a little abandoned by my family members, even though they meant well and were undoubtedly doing the right thing.

After the game I decided to head to New York’s dressing room to congratulate Marc in person – I hadn’t really talked to him since our last game down in Raleigh, and to be honest I’d missed him.

As I walked in I could hear the guys teasing Stepan about his girl being at the game, and had to chuckle to myself. It didn’t matter where you played, every dressing room was basically the same, and New York was no exception. Marc seemed to light up a little bit when he saw me, before he seemed a bit nervous.

“Hey, congratz tonight,” I said, pulling him into a half-hug.

“Thanks, sorry to kick your ass again bro,” he managed a smile, before turning edgy again.

“Look, I wanted to apologize – Eric and Tanya told me about the whole… thing. I just want you to know we did what we thought was best,” he said, and I nodded.

“I know. It just still hurts, but I’ll be okay, I think,” I managed, and he relaxed a little before smiling at me. A few of the other guys on his team congratulated me about finally ‘cracking the big league’ and we chatted, most of them teasing me about our loss. For once it didn’t seem to be such a depressing thing, not when I could have a good time like this and tease them back. Stepan seemed to avoid me slightly, which I attributed to the fact that I really didn’t know the guy.

I heard the doors open behind me, and saw his face turn pale, and he rushed towards the door. Marc seemed to flounder over his words momentarily too, so I turned to see what the big deal was about.

Kass. She was the big deal.

And shit, she was bigger.

That thought crossed my mind before realization dawned on me, then hit me like a fucking truck driving two hundred miles an hour.

She was pregnant.

All wind left my body and I nearly collapsed onto the floor. Stepan had gathered her up in his arms, and her eyes were wide as she saw me too. She’d been in New York this whole time, and Marc hadn’t said a thing. Even had they just told me the city I might’ve rested easier.

“Kass,” her name was a whisper on my lips, and I saw her begin to tremble.

“Come on Kassy, let’s get you home,” Derek ushered her, and I felt the overwhelming desire to punch him in the face. The bastard had stolen her from me, and knocked her up? In how short of a time period? Surely he thought better of her than to let that happen, especially when they couldn't have been dating all that long.

“Kass,” my voice was stronger now, and I took a step towards her. Lindsay was right on Kass’s heels, and obviously trying to help Stepan get her out of the locker room.

“Jared,” I hardly heard her whisper, and I relished the sound of her voice. I’d missed it so much over the past four months, it was like hearing angels singing.

“Please Kass, I just need to talk to you,”

“I think you’ve said enough to her,” Lindsay’s voice was sharp and harsh, making me flinch.

“Please Kass, please,” I begged, and Stepan stepped between us, blocking her from my view.

“Back off Staal, if she wanted to see you she would have known where to find you,” his words cut like knives, mostly because I knew they were true.

“Please Kass, just let me explain, just let me apologize, and if you still want nothing to do with me I’ll understand,” my voice was desperate, and I heard the unmistakable sound of a sob come from her. My heart shattered again, and as I moved to reach out to her I was stopped by Stepan and several other members of the New York Rangers, including my brother.

“Come on Kassy, let’s get you home,” Stepan once again ushered her, his voice softer this time as he wrapped his arms around her and led her out of the locker room, Lindsay by their side. I realized then she was wearing his jersey, and it felt like the knife that had been plunged into my heart was being slowly twisted. She’d moved on, I meant nothing to her anymore. And she was still all I wanted.

“Jared, I’m sorry,” Marc started, but I shook my head.

“You could’ve just told me she was in New York, that she was safe,” I turned on him, seeing red in a way I hadn’t since I was a teen.

“Jared, you have to understand—”

“Understand? I’ve spent the last four months worrying myself to death over where she was, whether or not she was okay, or safe, or happy. You could’ve just fucking told me she was happy and safe, I would’ve got the point,” my voice softened to a whisper and I left the locker room, leaving my brother looking hurt and guilty. I got partway back to my locker room before stepping into an empty bathroom and leaning heavily against the closed door, trying to get myself together. He’d known the whole fucking time.

And then it hit me; she was probably staying with them, if she wasn’t living with that Stepan.

It was something to go on, and if she didn’t want to see me I’d leave. Probably in tears, but I’d leave. I had to at least apologize, and then if Stepan wanted to beat the shit out of me he could.

I returned to the locker room, changed into my suit and was out of there before anybody had even really realized I was back. I caught a cab, rattling off my brother’s address without any hesitation, and sat fidgeting in the backseat, feeling like I was going to be sick. I almost couldn’t bring myself to knock on the door, but I could hear hushed voices inside, and knew she was there.

“Hello?” Lindsay’s voice rang clear even through the door.

“Can I come in?” I asked, and was met with silence.

“Please, Kass, I know you can hear me. Just let me apologize, and I’ll leave. You have no idea how awful I’ve felt, and if Stepan… if Stepan makes you happy I’ll respect that, but please at least give me the chance to explain,” I begged, and after hearing Lindsay’s arguing the door opened. Kass stood in between the kitchen and living room, Stepan not a half step behind her, looking ready to kill. Lindsay looked unimpressed with the whole situation, but I was thankful she’d let me in anyway.

“Thanks,” I hoped she could tell how grateful I was as I stepped past her and took off my shoes. Kass looked so tired, but I guess being pregnant might have had something to do with it.

“I missed you,” not the first words I’d planned to come out of my mouth, but I couldn’t exactly take them back, so I stood there awkwardly.

“It’s been a long time,” she acknowledged, and now I was feeling like a total douche.

“Can we talk? Just us?” I asked, and Stepan put a protective arm around her.

“I’m not going to do anything – I just… it’s just between us,” I explained, and after she gave him a reassuring look Stepan backed off, and Kass led me to her room so we could talk, leaving Lindsay and Stepan in the living room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Soo... sorry to leave this on a cliffhanger like this, but I had to break it off somewhere! Let me know what you're thinking - this is kind of the moment I've been waiting for since I started this story!