Status: Coming Soon!!

Who Knew Then? (What We Know Now?)

Resignation

Jared

“We’re back!” Parker called as he ran into the house. I followed along behind Eric, still unimpressed with my day. Sometimes I just needed the day to stew and fret over it and be angry, which he didn’t seem to understand. Walking through the front door we smelled pizza, and saw Tanya sitting at the kitchen table with a glass of iced tea and reading while she waited for supper to cook.

Of course once we’d got to Ward’s Eric had wanted to stay and visit, and what should have been a quick ten minute stop turned into two hours of visiting, which had made me anxious and put me in an even worse mood. I knew I needed to apologize for how I’d acted – I’d been a total ass to Kass, but at the same time I still wasn’t ready to just move on and forget today had happened.

I didn’t see Kass in the living room or the kitchen, and so instead went downstairs, figuring she’d be in our room. When she wasn’t laying down on the bed I began to panic, because where the hell else would she be?

I bolted up the stairs, and got a scornful look from my sister-in-law, because she obviously knew what I was about to ask.

“You really think she wanted to wait for you to come home after what happened?” her tone was sharp, and I felt a weight sink in my stomach.

“Where is she?” I quietly asked, and Tanya didn’t reply, but instead went back to her book.

“Damnit Tanya, just tell me!” I begged, and she finally set it down as the timer went off on the oven.

“Staying with Sutter’s. And no, you aren’t calling or going over there. Consider yourself grounded for the night,” she informed me, cutting off my next sentence. Sutter’s. I should have known.

I knew she deserved better than me, and while I hadn’t meant to flip out on her like I had this afternoon it made sense. I’d asked why she’d stuck with me when she could have better, and I guess she realized it too. Brett had it all going for him; a new, long contract that kept him in one place for the next four years as well as a big income, and he wasn’t an ugly guy either. She’d always gotten along well with him and his brother.

I went back downstairs, my feet dragging with each step. I’d have to sleep in our bed alone, and God only knew if she’d let me talk to her afterward. I mean, I could hope she was just there because they were good friends, but I knew Brett had liked her, and his little brother had a crush on her too. It wouldn’t surprise me for him to put the moves on her, and why should she say no? He’s got everything, and he can give her everything I can’t.

A sob started to build inside me as I sat down on the bed, noticing that her suitcase was gone, as was the magazine, novel and few other random things she’d kept on her nightstand.

When she’d asked me about the last five years my mind wasn’t registering what she was saying – I was still stuck on what she’d said before, so I hadn’t responded. Now I realized that had probably hurt her more than any of the other cruel things I’d said. I’d never thought myself to be one of those people, who would just hurt someone they loved like that. I needed to apologize to her, before she decided to end things for good instead of just wanting some space for me to cool down.

Tanya called down the stairs that supper was ready, but I wasn’t hungry. If anything I felt nauseous. Kassy had been feeling sick for the past few weeks, worrying about me, and here I’d went and been a total douche bag to her and chased her away when she needed me. What the hell kind of person was I?