Dakota

Eleven

Ben lunged at Dakota, if it wouldn’t have been for her quick instinct to duck she would have been knocked to the ground. Dakota hopped over the desk, completely ignoring the blood that was still gushing from her wound and raced out of the room. She bumped into a few walls, running through the halls until she could hear voices.

“Do you smell that?” Sam’s spoke.

Dakota slid around the corner and said the first thing that came to her mind, “You’re vampires!”

Danny looked up and immediately noticed the blood gushing from her hand. Danny hopped up and grabbed Dakota, dragging her out of the room and into a smaller room with heavy duty doors that looked almost impossible to break. Quickly he locked the door to keep the others out and got to work on cleaning the wound and patching it up.

“What’d yeh do?” He questioned.

She gulped, “Cut my hand.”

“On purpose?” Danny made a face that told her how stupid she was.

Dakota nodded, “I just wanted to confirm that yeh were what I thought yeh were.”

“Yeh weren’t supposed to know until yeh turned eighteen.” He shook his head, wrapping the wound.

The room was silent for a moment as they both listened to the sounds of angry shouting and things being thrown around and broken. Danny sighed and ran his fingers through his short hair before putting the final touches on the bandages.

“Is Ben gonna be alright?” Dakota spoke softly.

Danny nodded, “Stay in here. TV’s simple to turn on and yeh can watch whatever, just don’t come out until I say so. Alright?”

She nodded and took the remote control from his hands. Once Danny left she locked the door behind him and just thought about what Ben had told her when she had been attacked last time.

”I’d Never hurt yeh.”

Dakota sighed and frowned down at her hand which now was wrapped in a white bandage. She could feel the alcohol stinging it but knew that she deserved it for stupidly cutting herself like that. After a few minutes of thinking to herself she turned on the TV and watched whatever was on first which was the news. There was a man on the screen who was shouting at the camera, demanding that the police went looking for his daughter. She furrowed her eyebrows and looked stared at the screen. The man did have a striking resemblance to her which made her heart speed up.

“Dad.” She breathed out.

The man looked into the camera with concern in his eyes, “Please. If you have any information on my daughter Dakota Aires Voisine, please call the number on the screen. Please, I love her and just wanted to know that she’s safe.”

Her breath hitched in her throat and tears brimmed in her eyes. Someone did care about her, the one person she was never around or had really met besides for letters that were sent back and forth. The man looked so desperate to find her that she had hope for the first time in a very long time. Being overwhelmed with so many emotions, Dakota burst into a sobbing fit. She began hyperventilating from how hard she was sobbing and had to cover her mouth with her hand to keep herself from passing out from hyperventilating. All alone in the small room, she thought over everything and eventually passed out.