Dakota

Nine

Ben pulled into the parking lot of the mall. He watched Dakota’s eyes widen a bit.

“You act like you’ve never been to the mall before.” He laughed softly.

Dakota made a face, “I haven’t. I don’t have and money.”

“I have money. I’m famous. Now come on, let’s go get you some new clothes and whatever else you want.”

Dakota didn’t argue. She didn’t see a point. She figured even if she did argue he would just somehow force her to get things anyways. Before she could blink, Ben was outside opening her door for her.

“So chivalry isn’t dead?” Dakota asked with a small smile forming on her lips.

Ben chuckled and took her hand, “Oh please, I invented chivalry.”

Dakota faked a smile and got out of the car, letting Ben shut the door behind her. Ben slipped a pair of sunglasses over his eyes and held onto Dakota’s hand as they walked into the mall together. After a few minutes Dakota realized she was holding hands with him and quickly slipped her hand out of his. He looked over at her and she nervously laughed then looked down at her feet.

“I think you might like some of the clothes in here.” Ben smiled and pulled her into a store with neon clothing and random items.

Before she knew what was happening, she was shoved into a dressing room with Ben throwing clothes over at her. She spent countless hours trying on clothes and modeling them for Ben to see if they looked good on her or not. Of course Ben couldn’t help but think she looked stunning in each outfit Dakota tried on. Dakota changed back into her regular clothes then stared at herself in the mirror for a bit, twirling her long hair.

“Yeh got a lot of split ends.” Ben pointed out as he paid for the clothes.

Dakota nodded, “I know.”

“Come on, Kota.” He grabbed the bags with ease and pulled her to one of the salons.

Ben said something almost inaudible to the woman at the counter. She nodded and quickly pulled Dakota over to one of the chairs.

Ben whispered something to the woman and she nodded then began to wash, shampoo, and cut Dakota’s hair. Dakota was afraid she wouldn’t like her hair but once she looked into the mirror she realized how good she looked. Her hair was a bit wavy, shoulder length, and there were highlights placed in all the right places.

“Yeh like it, luv?” Ben questioned even though he already knew the answer.

She nodded and smiled wide, without saying anything. Ben nodded and paid the woman then the two left the salon after buying some hair products for her. The next stop for the two was Walmart where Dakota picked up personal things and food items that she liked. Ben kept a close eye on Dakota, making sure that she wasn’t going to wander off or call too much attention to herself. She was very careful to keep a low profile so that Ben wouldn’t do anything. Even if he hadn’t threatened too, she still felt as if this was a hostage situation and he would hurt her if necessary.

Dakota had seen enough movies to know that you never cause a scene, or else you’re dead. There was no way of telling if she could trust him or not but she was just letting him think she was starting too. Dakota had never been so tired in her life after all of the shopping, of course she’d never really been shopping but she’d seen how girls at school or in movies went on about how great it was. Sure she loved how the clothes looked but it was tiring trying on outfit, after outfit until she found the one that fit. By the time they headed back to the car, she was practically falling asleep. Ben ended up carrying her to the car which she didn’t object to mainly because she was way too tired to do so.

“Sleep now.” Ben whispered as he set her into the passenger seat of the car and buckled her seatbelt for her.

Slowly, Dakota shut her eyes and soon passed out before he could even walk around to the driver’s side of the car. Ben smiled over at her as he started up the car and drove back to the house. The whole way back he kept looking over at her. If he had a heart beat it would have been in overdrive right now.