The "I" In Lie

To Myself

I arrived at the bar after my big revelation and went to work. It was easy for a bit, but my mind kept drifting. It was near midnight, the place packed, when I was able to go have a break. 

I went into the back room, grabbing a soda and leaned against the wall. It was the first time, all day, that my mind was clear. I had 5 minutes left before Joe and Pete came in; I was surprised to see Pete.

"Hey, how's your last day going?" Joe asked with a smile; Pete wouldn't look at me.

"It's awesome, same as every night." I told him happily, "I'm gonna miss it."

Joe patted my back, "Well, you're always welcomed back."

"Thanks, Joe." I exhaled happily, "You've been amazing to me."

He gave a small shrug, "Yeah, don't mention it." Joe patted Pete next, "I'm gonna go check the intake."

Pete nodded, "Sure."

Joe left me and Pete alone; I took a gulp of my soda and looked away. He stuffed his hands in his pockets, "So... How's it going?"

"Perfect, didn't you just hear me?" I joked softly.

He smiled, "Yeah, but I meant... Like personally? When are you leaving?"

"I'm not sure yet, I still have to pack." I told him all of this confidently so he wouldn't know how wrecked I felt inside.

Pete looked like he was frustrated, "You're really leavin'?" he questioned.

I nodded, "Yeah."

This look came over Pete's face, one that made me rethink everything. He put his hand on my shoulder, "Do you want me to help?"

I shook my head, "I'm fine." I have a faux smile, then dropped it.

"Alright." he let my shoulder go and turned, "Have a good last hurrah."

I gave a nod that he missed and waved. I licked my lips and watched him go.

I surprised myself by tossing my bottle away and head back to the bar. I made sure to keep my head clear of Pete as I continued to serve.

•••

At the end of the night, I said goodbye to everyone and went on home. I was exhausted and wanted to sleep. Once I got there, a car pulled up behind mine.

I furrowed my brow, but didn't stay to see who it was. I went inside, locked my door and began to undress to get ready to sleep. As I began to remove my t-shirt and bra, my doorbell rang. 

"Oh god." I grumbled to myself.

I slowly, while throwing on a large shirt, went to my front door. Someone knocked this time, I stood on my tippy toes to see who it was. I was surprised when I saw Pete; I didn't open the door, I simply stood by and listened to him knock and knock.

I went away when he began to shout. I went to my room, crawled into my bed and pulled the comforter over my head. It didn't take more than a few minutes for me to fall asleep.

•••

I had wondered if Pete was still out there when I woke up. It was 8 am, and it was more than likely that he was gone. Of course I wondered if he left a note. 

I went out, opened the door and saw a note sitting on the welcome mat. I shook my head, taking it from the mat, balled it up and chucked it into the yard. I closed the door and retreated to my kitchen; it wasn't long that he was calling my phone.

"I need to rid him from my life." I said to myself.

I shut my phone off and decided to go out to buy some books or CDs. I needed to get out of my house, to look for other places to live. Maybe I'd go to another town, I couldn't afford to move all the way back to Oregon anyway. I'd probably have to live with my mom again.

I shook the thoughts off and took a shower to get out.

It didn't take long to drive onto Barnes and Noble and lose myself inside. I got a coffee, I sipped it while looking around the fiction area. I was busy reading the back of a book when I bumped into someone. I was jostled a bit, but nothing serious, "Shit, I'm sorry." I said quickly.

The guy, he shook his head, smiling, "It's fine. Hey, don't I know you?"

The guy looked familiar, but I couldn't place it, "Uh, you look familiar, do I know you?" I asked.

He squinted, "Shit, I know I know you from somewhere."

"Angels and Kings?" I asked him.

His eyes lit up, "Yeah! Yeah, you're the bartender, right? Aly?"

I nodded, "Yeah, that's me."

"Yeah, I go there sometimes to check it out. I'm Ryan."

"I'm Alyssa, but you already know me as Aly."

He smiled still, his hand threaded through his shaggy brown hair, "Yeah, that's a pretty cute name, by the way."

I blushed, "Uh, thanks. I don't really like Alyssa." 

"I'll keep it casual and call you Aly."

"Thanks," I said again, "Uh, it was cool seeing you."

He nodded as I began to maneuver around him. He grabbed my arm, "Wait, uh, would you like to, maybe, go out sometime? I'm new here, and I don't really know people... I think that's why I go out."

I chuckled, "I've been here for 4 years and I still don't have any friends. You aren't anymore pathetic than I am."

Ryan tugged at his bottom lip, "So, you wanna have dinner some time? I promise I'm not a total creep."

I felt heat circulate my cheeks, "Sure, sure."

"Can I have your number?"

I sucked in my lip as he handed me his phone and I put it in. I could feel my heart beating out of my skin, I was so excited.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, that is indeed Ryan Ross :)