Status: Complete

Aurora

start

On top of the sprawled mess of blankets she lays. Its night time; the ebony sky hangs low as ever, the stars occasionally daring to show their twinkling faces.

The light sheen of sweat upon her forehead shines as she sleeps, as she has for the last 100 years.

Age has forgotten her; her porcelain skin is as young and beautiful as it was all those years ago, but it is beginning to hang off of her ever-emerging skeletal features. Her blue eyes are hidden behind closed lids, the intricate web of veins visible through the translucent flesh, their sparkle, unseen for years, is beginning to fade away. Her eyebrows furrow slightly as she twists and turns ever so gently in her sleep, although whether you would class her current state as sleeping is debateable; on the surface she is sleeping, unconscious, blissfully unaware of her surroundings yet deep within she is awake and reliving that day, the day the everlasting night came. Splaying out behind her delicate frame, her long hair lies golden as ever, the life within still lingering for a while longer, even though the ends are beginning to split and the colour is beginning to fade. Her full, pink lips are chapping now as they move slightly as she mumbles incoherently in her dreaming state.

The once rich red dress has faded to a deep vermillion shade, the once tight fitting lace sitting loosely around her. The delicate fabric which onced glowed with a vintage air now sags, crumpled and defeated. The curves once lusted after by many have all but gone. Her hands rest on top of her chest. They move slowly up and down monotonously to the tone of beat of her aching heart. The flowers, once bright and fresh and lightly placed between young hands, are now withered and shrivelled and clutched between cold, aging fingers.

The flickering candle light by her side illuminates her in a dim light, making her seem frailer than her deteriorating state does. It casts dark shadows across her and they dance and play on top of her weakening body; they giggle and laugh and play on a dying and frail playground.

Only one can save her, but soon it will be too late, for hope can only last so long.

100 years is a very long time.