Status: Complete

Aurora

end

Once again the sun sets, monotonous as ever. She lies peacefully now atop of the sheets, the nightmare has passed and a peace of mind has finally arrived; the nagging worry that her prince would never come has finally succumbed to the darkness too, allowing her to finally sleep an undisturbed slumber. The candles still flicker gently in the room, although now they do not make her appear frail; instead they bask her in a warm glow, as if giving her back a piece of youth, as if giving her a second chance. Smiling, she breathes evenly, no longer thrashing, writhing or convulsing.

Outside the birds give their singing a break, as if giving her a mark of respect, as if finally letting her rest in peace. They shuffle back up their gnarled branches, heads bowed, a night of silence far overdue. The moon lolls in the sky, smiling down on the forest, casting a haze of thaumaturgy over the forest. The stars, no longer afraid to peak out beyond the ebony blanket twinkle and dance as if children again. Swaying in the warm breeze, the trees no longer loom overhead. Instead, they seem to rather smile wisely over the land below and around their majestic presence.

She smiles in her sleep again, and stirs only once when she feels another set of lips against hers.

Almost immediately after, her skin once again glows with the youth and beauty she lost a long time ago. Her hair, which was once turning lifeless and limp, now shines and glows a golden haze. Her dress seems well-fitted now, her body rejuvenated, the frail shell of a few moments ago long gone. The flowers once tightly grasped in dying hands are now in full bloom, the wilted mess merely a memory. She opened her eyes, the azure blue sea of colour shining within them. Slowly, ever so slowly, they look up to meet a pair of warm brown eyes, the colour of rich chocolate speckled with flame drawing her in. The things you worry about never happen, she thought to herself, remembering how she worried that her prince would never come.

Lifting up her dainty hands, the cupped his face and smiled, the nightmare of before merely a daydream away.

As she placed her lips upon his for the first time in a lifetime, a long way away, the ghost of a maleficent queen feels remorse at last.

She always did love a happily ever after.

And as midnight arrives, she smiles, the princess and the prince her perfect midnight sonata.