Status: What do you think?

I'll Take You Away

Looking For A Temporary Home

A young woman walks down the street with a little girl in her arms. The child was young, maybe a year old. The woman herself couldn't have been more than twenty years of age, but her face had been aged by stressed.

Young mom on her own.

She rocks the little girl in her arms, singing to her quietly.

"Lullaby, and good night, You're your mother's delight, Shining angels beside
My darling abide.
Soft and warm is your bed, Close your eyes and rest your head.
Soft and warm is your bed, Close your eyes and rest your head."

She gave a sad smile. "We need to find you a bed." I watched as she stood and walked into a building.

She needs a little help, got nowhere to go.

She left her baby with a woman inside the building, kissed her child's head and emerged nervously.

She stopped walking, closed her eyes and began to pray. "Lord, I know this is our temporary home. I want only to provide for my daughter. Please help me. Amen."

And with that, she walked into an office, hands shaking and with a hopeful smile.

***

And that's where I saw her.

I was interviewing for a management position at a well-known law office. She was wearing a suit that I could tell had been owned by many women before her.

She seemed tired and worried, like she'd been up for hours on end.

The woman shook my hand with a smile. She sat down and we began the interview.

She's looking for a job, looking for a way out...

She was very intelligent, very articulate.

And when she left, I was sad to see her go.

She went back to the building across the street to get her daughter and began walking once again.

I decided to follow her.

She stopped at a halfway house two blocks away. The woman looked around and walked toward the door.

A halfway house will never be a home...

"Wait!" I called after her.

She turned around with a start, holding her baby protectively.

I ran up to her. "I just had to tell you," I said, out of breath. "You're the best that has applied. You start on Monday,"

She smiled really big. "Oh, thank you!" She threw her arms around my neck. "Thank you! You're an angel!"

And then to her child. "You hear that, honey? Mommy's got a job!"

Suddenly realizing how informal she was being, she straightened up. "Thank you. I'll see you on Monday."

I smiled and watched her open the door and walk into the halfway house.

I shed a tear. "I'll take you far away from this one day, okay?" I whispered. "I promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
Any thoughts?