Sequel: Accidental Dad
Status: Finished. Read the sequel

Don't Let These Boots Fool You

I Choose You...

I woke to an empty bed, still fully clothed, and fully rested. I wondered where Jordan went but then remembered I had told him to stop, he had accepted that I just couldn’t go through with anything like what he wanted and went to sleep in the guest room. I hadn’t slept with him. If that were the case I knew that love I was feeling for Danny wasn’t just love as a friend or the guy who I had begun to fall for it was because I actually loved him.

I got out of the bed and walked to the guest bedroom and found Jordan sleeping since he had an off day. “Jord, are you up?” he rolled over and looked at me with a smile. “You’re not mad are you?”

He stood up and walked over to hug me. His scruff on his face was scratchy and unlike Jordan completely. I looked up at him and he had a smile on his face. “Honestly after last night I saw how happy Danny made you, sure I still hoped you wanted to choose me but after I saw how happy you were I couldn’t let you go through with it either. I’m glad you’re happy I just never realized it. Don’t worry; you’ll still be in my life and one of my best friends. Thank God we didn’t sleep together because best friend status would be awkward as hell.” He burst with laughter and I smiled around him for the first time in a long time.

After the incident with Jordan, I knew that Sidney wasn’t right either but didn’t know how to explain it to him because he saw me as the perfect wife not the perfect counterpart. I hugged him and turned to walk back out the door. “Bye Jordan I’ll see you on Friday. Make sure you look presentable. Oh, and just because you can’t be with me, will you please stay away from the Puck Sluts. I really feel like you can find someone respectable like me.” He actually ducked his head and smiled.

He walked me out to my car making sure he could say one more goodbye. I rolled the window down after getting in and waited to say a final goodbye of this stage in our friendship. I knew this wasn’t a forever goodbye. “I actually found someone.” My jaw dropped and I grabbed his shirt, “slow down killer.” I wanted to hear this and needed to hear it quickly otherwise, I would pass out from excitement. “Her name is heather. We’ve been talking for a few weeks. She’s from back home. We actually used to date and things didn’t work out when I got here because I was just into all the women that I knew hockey could get me. You made me realize that it’s about the person not the looks, the sex or anything superficial. It’s always about the person you’re with. Thanks Kelly, you made me grow up.”

I let go of his shirt and smiled. Through my decision, I had made him grow up and figure things out. It felt great to know he was happy with someone who wasn’t a puck slut. I wanted the best for him and I really hoped he knew that, “I wish you the best, and don’t think that we’re not still going to be friends. Oh, let me know when you guys play the Capitals, I know I’m your charity coordinator and should know this but I don’t. I want to come to that game.

He smiled and nodded his head. He leaned in and kissed my cheek, “Go tell Sid your choice to be with Danny.” I looked at him quizzically because I hadn’t even told him that I wanted to be with Danny. “I knew last night when you kissed me. You were thinking too much, you weren’t just with me.” I smiled and backed out the driveway and went a few streets over to find Sidney’s house.

I drove around the block four times trying to gain the courage to park my car and go inside. I finally parked the car in the driveway and looked at the house before seeing Sidney open the front door. I slowly opened my door and stood by my truck. “How many times were you going to go around the block before you stopped?” he laughed a little causing me to shrug my shoulders.

I walked up the sidewalk and into his house taking in the hardwood floors that I hadn’t ever noticed before. His home looked more like a home than a house, which was strange considering he had barely had a picture on the wall three months ago. “Sid, why does your house actually look like a home?”

I heard feet, multiple sets of feet. I stood still as I saw his sister Taylor come into view. “Tay!” I squealed, seeing her for the first time since she was at my brother’s funeral. “How are you, how’s school?” she didn’t get to answer any questions as I saw another girl walk into the room and it wasn’t Sid’s mother either. “Am I interrupting something?” I saw the way the girl looked at me, I was stepping in on her turf and she didn’t like it.

“No, just some--”

“Well why don’t you tell her that I’m not a threat and she can quit looking at me like I’m coming in here trying to steal you. I came to let you know I’m telling Danny I’m accepting as his girlfriend tonight. I wanted you to know you’re still a good friend and I’m still with Pittsburgh but I just need to do what makes me happy.” He smiled and walked over to hug me, but I pushed him away. “Thanks Sidney. I’ll see you Friday; don’t forget that you have to be there an hour before everyone else for your shoot for some Riley Hospital kids.” He smiled and nodded his head as I walked out the door.

I was sad I couldn’t catch up with Taylor but knew that I would have a chance to do so before she left in a few weeks. I got back in the car and didn’t think twice about getting to Danny quickly. I pulled in the driveway to see another car sitting there, it wasn’t one I knew, and that scared me. I walked through the front door and heard small voices and then as I got closer to the kitchen I heard a female voice. I got a little worried until I heard Danny say my name as I stood in the doorway. “Sylvie, this is Kelly.” I immediately knew this was his ex-wife and I was in for a world of hurt.

She nodded her head and turned back to look at Danny, “remember to have the boys to me by seven on the 27th. They’ll be at your game on New Year ’s Eve. Don’t be stupid with them.” She turned facing me, “don’t get too comfortable he’ll be done with you in a few weeks.”

I looked her dead in the eyes before I decided I wanted to make a witty comment. “Oh honey you haven’t heard. I’m the fiancé. I’m not going anywhere for a long time. Now get out of our house before I decide to not be as nice as him.” My accent got stronger as I got more annoyed with her tone of voice toward me in the first place. She huffed as she stormed out the front door. I turned back around to find Danny laughing at me. “What?”

He shook his head, “You’re my fiancé now? I thought you were trying to make sure you weren’t just falling for me because I’m here.”

“I could only kiss him, even Jordan realized I didn’t like him the way I do you. Plus Jordan is starting to get serious with his ex-girlfriend. It looked like Crosby was with some girl who thought I was invading her space. I decided he didn’t deserve an explanation since he clearly had moved on. I drove back here to tell you I want you.” He looked up at me and smiled. “I want this I don’t care if your kids love me or hate me, although I’d rather they like me but I love you and I’m sure I’ll love them. For now I’m content with just being a friend to them but damn it Danny I want to be a part of this and be with you.”

He ran toward me and scooped me up in his arms. “Can we go upstairs?” I chuckled a little as I nodded my head. “Boys I’m going to bed, you need to too before 1. If I come down here at one and you’re still up I will have to ground you.” I heard a few muttered replies before Danny took off running up the stairs. He had his door shut and locked before placing me on the bed and looking at me. “This doesn’t look complete. Put this on,” he handed me the Flyer’s orange button up shirt I had worn a few days ago.

I pulled off my other clothes before putting on the shirt that he had handed me and smiled as I saw his eyes slowly follow my every movement. I pulled the covers back before getting in his bed and waiting for him to join me. “What’s on your mind?” he hadn’t moved from his spot and I was beginning to think that I had read his feelings wrong.

“I’m just wondering if Santa thought I was really good this year and finally answered my Christmas list.” I blushed deeply I know I had to be because I was ducking my head under the covers. “You’re perfect.”

“Just wait till I take you to Kentucky to meet my family.” I laughed because the last hockey players they met I was now just good friends with, this guy was going to be my husband and I knew it. “How will your boys like me?”

He laughed and scooted up behind me as I laid my head down on the pillow. “My boys will love you, and as for Kentucky I’m sure your family will love to ridicule the way I talk, but I’m a good guy they’ll love me. Just wait until you meet my family.” I looked over my shoulder to find him smiling down at me. I rolled over and kissed him before laying my head on his chest hoping to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like it. tell me what you think.
Thanks to those who said they really wanted her to make a decision, it made me want to make one too. Hope you all had a great holiday. you should all go read Mr. I-Love-You and let me know if i should continue that into a full story.

-S