Sequel: Accidental Dad
Status: Finished. Read the sequel

Don't Let These Boots Fool You

I'm Quickly Falling

I nearly fell back on Jordan as I looked up to see the familiar face. “Missy, what are you doing here?”

She laughed as she laid a protective hand across her growing stomach. I hadn’t realized exactly how much I missed her, or how pregnant she looked for that matter. “I realized not seeing you was making losing him harder. I traded the tickets and I’m here until you don’t want me.” She smiled as she pushed past me with Joe protectively at her heels.

Jordan smiled down at me as he hugged me close to his body. He smelled great and I was kind of mad at Missy for interrupting my wild living that I almost got to with Jordan. I just couldn’t stay mad at her long. “Go catch up with her. I’ve got some stuff I need to take care of then we can all go out to dinner my treat. Be happy Kelly she’s trying to live and be free just as much as you are. She’s only got you and those babies left.” He moved down the back hallway toward the guest bedroom filling the space easily. I wondered when he had gotten so smart and wise after telling me those words I had told myself a few weeks ago.

I finally composed myself enough to walk into the living room. Joy washed over me as I thought that the closest thing to Brett was sitting in my living room. I had to admit that I was afraid that once he died I would never see her again because it would hurt too much seeing the mirror image of Brett. “Would you two quit? Mommy is trying to make sure you can wait one more month but you keep kicking.”

My jaw dropped at hearing this private conversation. I walked to the coffee table and slowly sat down. She saw my expression and knew that I had overheard her. Her kids would understand exactly how Missy and I grew up. These kids would understand the twin feelings that I had gotten when Brett was alive. “When did you find out it was two?”

She ducked her head as a tear fell down her face. “After the funeral. Baby B was hiding and so in sync with baby A that their heart beats sounded like one. I should have known since we were both twins.” She looked down at her hands with a scared expression on her face. I wrapped my arms tightly around her knowing that she was most likely afraid that I was going to yell at her. “You’re not mad at me are you?”

“How could I be? You’re carrying the last piece of Brett. Two is just as good as one. How about we go to dinner now.” I smiled laughing as a trail of happy tears ran down my face. “Oh, and I have a special event tomorrow that you can come to with me.” I got up and walked toward the back of the house to tell Jordan that we were ready for dinner. Instead I found him standing in the hall with a smile on his face. “Did you hear that? I’m so excited yet nervous for her.”

His smile grew with mine as I pulled a sweater from the closet over the tank top I was wearing. “I’m going to have to make the guest bed for Missy when we get back. I stripped it down for you. Do I need to get some sheets for the couch?” he asked with a hint of fear in his voice.

“No just move your stuff into my room. I wasn’t done with you earlier. Where are you going to take us?” I asked him as I felt his hand grasp mine. We walked to the front door to find that Missy had already walked out to Jordan’s SUV.

“It’s a surprise.” He smirked while climbing behind the wheel.

I hated when he said surprises. They made me fear something bad even if he had never given me any reason to not trust him. I trusted him a lot and honestly would leave Missy in his care without a second thought. I finally looked away from his face to find we were in front of a small pizzeria. “My dad found this place when he got lost one of the first trips out here. It’s the best pizza ever.” He smiled as he opened the door for Missy and me.

I followed him into the restaurant with a smile on my face. I heard the people great him with a warm welcome. I was even a little surprised to see a stout woman walking toward our table. She smiled at Jordan and he stood to give her a hug that made him squat down pretty low. I heard him answer a few questions before he turned toward us.

“Missy, Kelly, this is Maria. She owns this place. She had no idea what hockey was because she’s actually Italian, when I came in here and started coming in here a lot she looked out for me and even makes me homemade soup when I’m sick. She’s my second mom here and I didn’t even know I’d be getting her.” Jordan had a protective arm wrapped around her waist. She sounded just like what I imagined Jordan’s mother to act like.

“Kelly I’m so happy to meet you. Heard you were whipping my boy into shape to be a better person. Don’t let him run off to far, he really is a great catch.” She winked at me before turning to Missy. “You my dear, I have something very special for you this evening it will help with the babies.” Missy looked over and nearly lost it until she decided that Jordan had most likely told her about the twins.

She kissed all of our cheeks before running away to fix up some food and bring us our drinks. It was great to be sharing a meal with Missy and Jordan. I thought after the funeral that I would never see her again. I was glad to be sitting across from her. I had zoned into my own world until I choked on my water from the question that Missy began asking Jordan.

“How long have you been with Kelly?”

“We’re not really together. I’ve been trying to be a better man before I asked her to be with me.” Jordan smiled as he answered her question with ease. I assumed that all of his years of training for press came in handy with family questions.

“Do you love her? Are you supporting yourself? What about family, do you want one?” I felt the pink tinge creep across my face with the intensity of the questions that Missy was asking.

“I think I might lover her a lot because she is so selfless. I’ve asked for nothing of Kelly but to be the person who I can talk to. I’ve got my own money and will support her.” He paused before answering the last question. His serious look had me concerned before he began to answer the final question. “Well, I’ve always wanted a family. I had three brothers growing up which was the best experience ever. My family is important as much as hers. I want what’s best for Kelly even if it means that she shouldn’t be with me.”

I nearly stopped breathing as I watched the sincerity wash over his face. I hadn’t registered that he was being just as selfless with me as I was in life. I had seen so many people come and go in my life and to hear that he would rather I be happy alone if that’s what made me happy. I nearly melted right there. I kissed his cheek since he was so close.

I watched to food come to the table and smiled because she didn’t just bring us a small pizza she brought each of us something that was true Italian cooking. I was sure I’d be coming to this place for many more years if I was still in Pittsburgh. We casually chatted until I noticed that Missy was getting tired.

We drove back to the house in silence, Jordan navigating the streets smoothly. I heard the quiet breathing coming from Missy in the back. We’d have to wake her up when we got the house, but I knew that the twins were starting to take their toll on her. Jordan parked the car and opened the back door and unbuckled Missy. “Hey wake up Missy. Go sit on the couch and I’ll come get you in a second okay?” She silently nodded her head at Jordan as he began to walk into the house.

Jordan walked to the back of the house where I followed him. He was being honest when he said he stripped the bed for me. I helped him put the new sheets on the bed and unpacked Missy’s suit case into the closet and dresser. I helped Jordan take his stuff into my room and noticed how normal it seemed to be in the same room as him whereas with Danny it felt forced. I heard Missy walk into her room and moved to my dresser to grab a t-shirt and shorts.

Jordan moved around me as if we had been doing this for years. I watched him out of the corner of my eye. Finally I couldn’t take the not knowing anymore. “Did you mean everything you said to Missy at dinner?” I kept my back turned to him as I played with the shirt I planned on changing into because I was afraid I would do something else or even cry if I saw that he wasn’t being honest there.

I didn’t hear him say anything, nor did I hear him move around the room. Finally I whipped around to find him standing right behind me. I sucked in a deep breath as I met his stare. I wanted nothing more than to kiss him but I needed to hear that he really did mean everything he said to me. I couldn’t look into his eyes anymore, I forced my gaze to the ground and tried to force myself to not play with the shirt between my fingers.

“Could you look at me? It’s ten times worse when you won’t even look at me.” He was quiet in his request. I wanted to keep looking at the ground but after everything that we had been through in the past week I had realized that I had nothing to fear with him. I met his eyes and waited for him to tell me that he didn’t really want to be with me.

He looked me over before he grabbed my hands. I knew he was doing it to still my nerves but it just made them jump more. “Kelly I meant every word. Do you honestly think I would have chased you out of a restaurant? I had never been with someone who didn’t care about my status and that it didn’t help me get them to date me. I honestly knew the day where the team accepted you into the family at my house.

“I knew it even more when you didn’t judge me for being a blubbering baby when I had gotten cheated on. You didn’t even scold me for drinking away every single doubt about myself that I had. I only dated other people to try and find someone that made me happy because you were constantly going after Danny, Sid, or letting that douche bag back in your life.”

He stopped talking and stood up to walk to the duffle bag that was at the foot of the bed. He pulled out something that had writing over it. I pulled it closer to see that he had contracts in his hands. My eyes grew wide as I looked up at him. Each contract made me feel like crying. I had just got him in my life and he was possibly going to another team. “Is this what I think it is? Contracts to other teams?” I heard the fear and shake in my voice as I held the contract in my hand.

He looked down with a grimace. “No, they’re contracts for a home. I was going to move out, quit the bachelor life for you Kelly. I want you and only you but I’m just as afraid as you are. You’ve been trying to figure out who you are and how to be single.” He went back to the bag and pulled out something that was in a bag. “I don’t want to rush you but I sold my house and I’m going to have to stay here for the time being, or if you decide by the time that Missy goes home that you want me to move I’ll stay with you. Here.”

I took the small bag and looked up at him. I wasn’t sure what he would have in a bag for me considering that I hadn’t even done anything for him lately. I pushed aside the tissue paper to see his jersey in the bag. I looked up at him and back down at the bag. “I wanted you to wear it tomorrow night at the event. I know it’s barbaric and caveman like but I just don’t want Sidney to think that he can treat you the way he did and then win you back.”

I smiled and dropped the bag on the ground and pulling Jordan’s hand to come closer to me. I pushed my lips against his and felt his hands run along my sides. I knew that I could do this with Jordan and I wasn’t afraid anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
So another update. i have another chapter for you all it's almost finished now I just need to edit it and such. Leave some comments and show me some love so I know that you all still love it. I'm afraid that this will soon be coming to an end here soon. You never know i might make a sequel.

Love you all.
-S