A Drabble A Day

Jacqueline: Escape

I turned up the volume of my iPod, trying to ignore the loud conversation in front of me. The substitute for my English class, I never caught his name, was behind the desk reading a newspaper and not paying attention to us. So naturally, most kids had pulled out phones and music players, and were generally just goofing off. The hastily written assignment on the board, which was ‘extra credit,’ had been ignored by the entire class.

I was doodling on a blank sheet of paper, completely bored. My friend who I usually talked to was absent, and I wasn’t really close to anyone else in the room. And the two girls talking in front of me were being too loud; I could barely concentrate on the skirt I was slowly sketching, and the blasting music in her ears.

“Wait, so she actually went to third at Dylan’s house the night of homecoming-“

‘I don’t belong here, I gotta move on dear escape from this afterlife-‘

“No, no , no. She only went to second, and I was hearing rumors she even went all the way.”

’Got nothing against you and surely I’ll miss you-‘

I heard a noise of disbelief. “Like Zach would ever go that far with that slut.”

’Take me back inside-‘

Wait. “WHAT?” The earphone had fallen out of my left ear, and my pencil was now rolling across my desk. They both glanced at me in unison, confused looks on their faces.
♠ ♠ ♠
lyrics credit to avenged sevenfold.

date: 6/19/12
word count: 247
music recommendation: avenged sevenfold - afterlife.