Sequel: Only a Memory

The Mortician's Daughter

I Smile Because I Think of You and I Blush.

“You don’t look happy.” Karissa notes as I walk into the courtyard come Monday morning. And she was right, I wasn’t happy; my parents were home.

“You’re not wrong.” I say giving out a weak chuckle. “My parents came home last night and that means I’m never going to be happy again!”

“Ok easy there drama queen.” Andy chuckles as he walks up to us. “What did your parents do this time?”

“They’re making me go to some dinner at my dad’s friend house.” I reply. “Apparently they’ve been friends since high school and only lost touch when my dad moved after graduation.”

“Try and get out of it.” Taylor suggests, causing me to sigh. “Not that easy huh?”

“With my parents, nothing is that easy.” I reply. “I hated most of my parents’ friends. They were always these snobby people that though they were hot fucking shit.”

“After dinner, make an excuse to leave and come hang out with me.” Andy suggests. “It’ll be better than hanging out with your dad’s boring friends.”

“I think I might have to take you up on the offer.” I chuckle just as the bell rings. “Until then, let’s head off to class.” Taylor and Karissa go their own way and Andy and I link arms and walk off to English class. Once we got inside, we see Katie talking to the teacher. We wave hi to her before taking our usual seats in the back of the class. Moments later Katie walks back and sits in the open desk in front of me. She turns around and smiles.

“At least I know people in my first class, that’s a plus.” She laughs.

“Let me see your schedule.” I tell her. She turns around and hands me it. Andy leans over and we look at her schedule. “It looks like you got second period with me along with our lunch and you’ve got music theory with us.” I explain to her.

“And you’ve got third, fifth and sixth with Taylor.” Andy says. “You know matter what, you’ve got a friend in class.” Katie just chuckles just as the teacher tells us to basically shut up and turn to chapter four of Chocolate Wars. I just let out a groan before laying my head down on my desk. Today is going to be a long day.

**

“I have no idea why I have to go to this dinner.” I mutter from the backseat of the car as my dad pulls into his friend’s driveway. “Shouldn’t you guys catch up without your kids being there. There might be stories that are too much for our innocent ears.”

“Brock has a son your age, you might as well make friends.” My mother says. “Now stop being your usual bitchy self and try and be nice.” I roll my eyes before getting out of the car, slamming the door behind me. I hope and pray tonight moves fast.

Andy

“So who are these people?” I ask my dad as I help me set up the dinner table. “And why do I have to dress all fancy.” I ask, motioning to my dress up black button up shirt. Lucky for me, the excused the ripped up jeans; at least I feel half normal.

“James is just an old friend from high school and recently moved here, it’s not big deal.” He chuckles. “Plus they’ve got a daughter your age, you might actually make friends.” I just roll my eyes as my dad laughs. I’m about to open my mouth to smart off but was interrupted by a knock on the door.

“I’ll get it.” I yell as I walk towards the front door. Opening the door, I see a woman and a guy standing there; both seem to perfect to be real. Behind them, I see Annabel standing there, fidgeting with her dress. She looks up at me and waves. I wave back before stepping aside to let everyone in. When Annabel walks over to me, I pull her into a hug. “So much for you getting out of tonight’s dinner.” I whisper in her ear. She just chuckles as we part.

“I don’t think tonight’s going to be a problem anymore.” She admits as we walk into the house. “Just as long as me wearing a dress doesn’t leave these walls.”

“Deal.” I chuckle as we head into the living room where our parents were already talking about old times. I look at Annabel, who has taken a seat by her mom, and a smile creeps on my lips. She was truly beautiful, even if she didn’t think so…
♠ ♠ ♠
Annabel;school
Annabel;dinner

comment&subscribe? Thoughts on what should happen next?