Love is Blind

Tamma...

Head in his hands, sobs leaked through the empty room surrounding the black chest of armory. His copper hair shagged down over his vibrant blue eyes, and his fair skin was glistening from the sweat of a hard run. The man’s heartbeat was irregular, pounding relentlessly against his ribcage.

The sun shone through a stained glass window of to the side, red and blue coming together across the single figure. A soft breeze blew from an unknown source; it swirled, coming upon the man, and tousled his unkempt strands of copper. With cause to look up, his eyes widened in surprise.

“Can you not see me?”

He stood, spinning around, trying to spot the source of the voice. Again, the woman’s gentle voice ran through the empty room, like an autumn river making its way down the mountain before the winter snows.

“Can you not see me?”

The young warrior stopped moving, having found the direction from which the woman spake unto him from an untouched shadow in the darkness. “No…” he finally replied, his voice shaking as he took a hesitant step forward.

“Then why is it that you call upon the Goddess if you don’t believe?”

She’d moved. Once before the young General of the Royal Guard, her voice now came from the opposite direction from which he’d originally pursued.

“I… My friend… Tamma. Est mortuus. She fell over the cliff during battle, but I… without her… I don’t know what to do without her…” His voice broke and he slowly sank down to his knees. Even the blue armor he wore at all times couldn’t help him look less fallen, less torn apart, more of a man fighting a battle than one who has given up, once he had moved to kiss the ground in vain efforts at reviving his lost love.

“But if you call upon the Goddess with such a passion and emotion, why do you not have enough faith to see me?”

A soft light began to glow in the darkness around him, bobbing up and down as though suspended on the surface of lightly disturbed water; as though a leaf had fallen upon the empty air. Looking up, the captain sighed, a frown creasing his once sturdy expression.

“I believe enough in the Goddess that I need her to know how much Tamma was loved. That the Goddess needs to make sure she is loved as thoroughly as I could love her. That she was no ordinary woman; a beautiful girl; but she needs what I could honestly give her. I needed Her word…” His heart had slowed, coming back to its normal beating. His head hung down, the golden hair cascading back down over his face. “I needed Her word that she would be safe.”

When the woman’s call came once again, her smile was audible in the darkness.

“Can you not see me?”

The general’s head whipped up, his eyes lashing out toward the voice. In place of where the faint blue light had begun to shine, there stood a woman caped in bright blues and deep violets, glistening jewels on her face, a swirling dark blue marine aura flowing around the Goddess; night defined itself in her presence. Her long silver hair shone in what little light illuminated the room, and her navy blue eyes were sharp to meet with his.

“I have come to the mortal world with a gift for you. You need not to believe in me, but in love and in true beauty, to have a plentiful life. War is just a boulder in your path. Some are split at that boulder. That giant rock has captured your mortal body, while your heart, mind and spirit have moved on. But you are there in spirit as well, to help those who cannot stop themselves at that boulder, who stray around it, then move on, looking down on battle and bloodshed. But you are special, Farryn. You are the son of Mar, my husband; God of Battle. You were meant to play this role in life. You have the strength to go on, to love and be passionate with a woman, and live forever, this with the woman that you love and share love with. You know my daughter that I speak of. But you, Farryn, are special.”

When she fell silent, the warrior looked away, unable to bear the sight of the woman any longer. “How can someone like me be special? All I do is fight. The people of my country look up to me, but they fear me and my power. I led my men into a war that was said to be a failure from the start. I led Tamma to her death! And now, I live alone in this world as a general with no army. How come I didn’t die, like all the others?!” Farryn had grown frustrated once more, and he began to tear his heavy armor from his body, throwing them to the other side of the cavern, letting out a scream.

“How could that woman ever love a man like me?!”

He took his sword from its sheath, tossing it to the ground. The shining goddess shook her head, waiting for her son to calm his thrashing composure. When he himself was silent as the sleeping cat, she spoke once more.

“Farryn, my son. Have you yet to learn? Love is blind.”

"Tamma..."
♠ ♠ ♠
this was written a year or so, ago, but it's still one of my favourite compositions.

comment? ♥