Status: Book 1 of 4+

Alpha X

Mother's Tomb

“Akura! No! Leave him alone! Akura! AKURA!”

Sirus wakes up, shaking. He immediately gets out of bed, running to his son’s room. Seeing Akura sleeping soundly, Sirus lets out a sigh of relief. Sirus placed his hand on Akura’s head as Hina walked in behind him. Hina wrapped her arms around Sirus, hugging him.

“Is everything okay?” Hina asked, half asleep.

“Yea… they are now. I just… I just had a nightmare.” Sirus says, looking at Akura. Sirus looked at the clock and realized the two of them had only been asleep for about an hour, it was only 5:15am.

“I’m going back to bed, you coming?” Hina asked, holding Sirus’ hand while turning toward the door.

“I can’t sleep. I’m gonna go for a walk.” Sirus says. Hina nods, letting go of Sirus’ hand. Hina returned to their bedroom and crawled into bed. Sirus followed her, grabbing a shirt. Sirus walked toward the door, looking back at Akura’s room while doing so. Sirus opened the door and walked out into the dawn.

--------------------

A young woman, age 20, named Kara Ashitaka, walked through the city and out of the city limits. Kara was dressed in her usual clothing, a tight shirt and tight leggings. Despite the fact that she hated her clothing, as she felt imprisoned by them, she wore tight clothing because it allowed her smoother movements in combat. Kara carried a bouquet of roses with her as she walked through the small amount of plains on the outskirts of Domino. About a mile away from the capital city, Kara entered a graveyard. Kara walked through the graveyard, looking at the tombs. She passed what seemed like two or three hundred before finally stopping. Kara bent down, placing the bouquet on the grave.

“Hello mother, it’s been a while…” Kara paused to wipe her tears. “I’ve followed your footsteps, I just hope I’m making you proud as you watch down on me. I haven’t found Kyoukei, and I’m sorry. I promise I will avenge you. I promise I will make you proud.”

“Kara, is this your mother?” Kara turned to see Sirus sitting in a tree. Kara immediately put up her guard, and tried to keep herself from thinking about what she knew Sirus wanted. Kara knew Sirus was a telepath and that Sirus knew she was a spy.

--------------------
Kara, walking through the streets, followed an ally toward the record keepings building. Kara made sure there was no one that could see her in the ally, before jumping from wall to wall to get on top of the building. She was only 4 buildings from her destination.

“Looking for something? I doubt you lost something on these roofs.” Kara turned to see a patrolling officer.

“Who are you?” Kara asked, calmly. Kara wasn’t nervous, she knew that even if she was under suspicion for being on top of the building, this patrolling officer had nothing against her. She couldn’t be arrested.

“Kara Ashitaka, here in Domino as a spy to recover war documents for your government in Hisakata.” The stranger says with a smirk.

“What proof do you have?” Kara inquired

“I have access to your every thought. So, are you going to come quietly, or by force?” Sirus asked, cracking his knuckles. Kara smirked.

“Access to my thoughts? That’s interesting. I’m sure Hisakata would love to know that Mikoto has had people spying on me.”

“When you see someone jumping on top of a building, it tends to lead to suspicions.”

“Fair enough. So what are you going to do? Assault me, take me in and imprison me? Without any hard evidence, without any documents that I stole, all you would do is put Lino Shi into another war. Face it, you’ve got nothing on me. Even if you can read my mind, you have nothing to go on except suspicions.” Kara was very confident, she knew she couldn’t be taken away. Sirus smiled and nodded.

“You’re good.” Sirus turned away from her for a second, before looking over his shoulder. “By the way, my name‘s Sirus.” With that, Sirus jumped off the building. Something about this encounter bothered Kara. If Sirus knew she was a spy, why was he so quick to leave? Is Lino Shi his true allegiance?

--------------------

“You… Sirus…” Kara trembled.

“I’m not going to fight you here. Not in a cemetery, in front of your mother’s grave.” Sirus says, as he hops out of the tree. Kara sighed, lowering her guard. “I just want to know what happened to your mother.”

“Why would you want to know about my mother? Furthermore why should I tell you when I barely know you?” Kara believed Sirus hated her, and feared he‘d use this information against her.

“Because, Kara, I never knew my parents. I was found on the doorstep of an orphanage, a note on me saying that both my parents were found dead and the person who found me wanted me to go to a good family. I grew up alone. Besides I don’t hate you. When I tried to stop you six months ago, I was on duty. I was doing my job. Right now I’m not doing my job. I’m not working now, so I have nothing against you. I just want to know more about you.” Sirus explained. Kara lowered her head and blushed. She had spent all her time in Lino Shi alone. Perhaps Kara found someone she might be able to call a friend. While she was skeptical, Kara remembered that Sirus let her go before. Something told her this was genuine, not an act to get the better of her.

“Fine, I will tell you while we are here, at her tomb.” Kara started, before pausing for two or three minutes to think. “My mother’s family was very powerful. They trained from birth since my great grandfather to be the most powerful warriors in the world. My cousin, was a prodigy. He was so powerful, so talented, so gifted. He excelled in everything. No matter the challenge he was faced with, he dominated it. He graduated in Combat Training Academy at a younger age than anyone in Lino Shi history, at age 10. As he grew older, he became a city patrol officer, like yourself. However he was so good, he became a squad leader by age 13. He was truly one of a kind. However, my cousin soon grew emotionless. He became awkward to be around. We all knew he was changing. It wasn’t long after that…” Kara wiped away a tear. “…my cousin killed my mother, along with everyone else in his immediate family. I was with my father in Hisakata at the time, so I was spared. I promised my mother I will find Kyoukei, and I will kill him.”

“Is that why you came back to Lino Shi?” Sirus decided against reading Kara’s mind for the answers he wanted, he had a sudden respect for her.

“Yeah, I was looking for documents about Kyoukei, anything I can get. Officially, to get funding from Hisakata, I am here as a spy. However my true mission is to find my cousin, and to kill him. I have hope, I know I‘ll get him.” Kara responded with a smile.

“Hope…” Sirus lowers his head and clenches his fists. Hope was a word that Sirus hated. “Hope is useless. It’s meaningless, it’s a lost cause. I had hoped my entire life, until I was 14, that I would find my parents. I hoped that I would find my parents. Instead I just grew up fighting, fending for myself, taking whatever I wanted by force, if necessary. Hope is merely a fools word to try and create a fake bridge to their dream. I’m sorry if I sound harsh… but the truth usually is.”

“No… I hope to find Kyoukei because I know I will. All I need is to get the documents and follow his path. I know I am bound to find him. It is only a matter of time.” Kara says.

“What will you do when you find him? If he was strong enough to kill your whole family, what makes you think you can kill him now?” Kara trembled, she hadn’t thought about that.

“I know I can. I have to…” Kara looks at Sirus, whom was looking off into the distance.

“Who knows. Maybe it is possible.” Sirus opened his hand. Kara noticed a tear on Sirus’ face. “I’ll see you again. Be careful.”

“Sirus, wait. Are you… crying?” Sirus ignores the question and walks off. “Sirus…” Kara said to herself quietly, thinking about how his life must have been. “So alike… and yet so different.” Kara knelt down, paid her last respects, and left the cemetery.

--------------------

Kara returned to Domino and unlocked her home. She walks in, closing the door behind her. Kara noticed something on the table, a large envelope. She opened the envelope and noticed a note that had fallen out.

“Dear Kara,
Based on your age, there was only one event I could think of that you were referring to. This is everything the Domino records vault has on that event. Best of luck to you.
-Sirus”

“Sirus…” Kara said, closing her eyes thanking him. Kara also picked up a rose sitting next to the envelope. Quickly, she placed it into a vase filled with water. Suddenly, Kara heard a loud alarm from outside her home. Kara went to the window, and was scared at what she saw.