Status: Book 1 of 4+

Alpha X

War Begins

After only getting a few hours sleep, Raviel awoke to a knock at his door. Sleepily, Raviel got out of bed, walking down the dark hallway toward the door. With no clocks or anything yet, Raviel had no idea what time it was. Raviel opens the door to see a man a little taller than himself wearing a familiar facemask.

“Jinsoku!” Raviel exclaimed with delight, meeting his trainer at the door.

“Ah Raviel, I’m glad you have finally made it to the big city. May I come in?” Jinsoku requested. Raviel moved out of the way and stretched his arm, gesturing for Jinsoku to come in. “So, Raviel, you’ve been here for about…” Jinsoku checks his watch. “…three hours, got a girlfriend yet?”

“No sensei. I was actually asleep.”

“I’m disappointed. Anyway, let us get to the business at hand, shall we? Mikoto-Ousama spoke to me about you moving in. He asked me about your traits and where you excelled and were lacking. Naturally, I told him you didn’t have any weaknesses when I was training you, which delighted him. Mikoto-Ousama wants you to be an overnight city guard. Of course, this job also doubles, making you a soldier, should the need arise. For your first few nights, so you can learn the ropes, Mikoto-Ousama wants you to team with someone else.” Jinsoku explained.

“You’re gonna be training me again?”

“No, your trainer is going to be the man you first met when coming to this village, Sirus Kumori. I am not a city guard, I am an army instructor. I would like you to go to his home now and speak with him and set up an arrangement.”

“This early?” Raviel asked. Jinsoku nodded his head. Jinsoku turned and took two steps toward the door. Raviel, uneasy about going to Sirus’s home so early, followed Jinsoku. “So where does Sirus live?”

“I’ll take you there, its not far. About 10 minutes from here.”

Raviel followed Jinsoku out, locking the door behind him. They walked about three blocks before turning and following the road to Sirus’s home. “So, sensei, do you trust Sirus can train me? Is he as good as you are?”

“Well I hope so, I trained him too. Just be careful, Sirus has a rage issue. When he’s mad, he seems to get a lot stronger. I’d stay on his good side if I were you.” Jinsoku said with a wink. “Well here we are.” Jinsoku pointed. Raviel nodded and walked toward the door as Jinsoku turned away and left.

--------------------

After knocking on the door, Raviel saw it open rather quickly, much faster than he could have predicted. In front of him was a beautiful woman, the same woman that Raviel had a picture of in his pocket. However, the woman in front of him looked a few years older. This was Hina. In her arms was a young baby drinking a bottle with his eyes closed.

“Can I help you?”

“My name is Raviel Tokumata. I met your boyfriend, Sirus, last night. He intercepted me as I was entering the city. My trainer from my days training in my home town of Hidokaim told me to seek your boyfriend for on the job training as a city guard. May I come in?” Raviel asked sincerely. Hina backed up, allowing Raviel in.

“So you’re the one my dad chose to wed me?” Hina asks, pulling out a chair from the table for Raviel to sit on.

“Yea, but after meeting your boyfriend and seeing your beautiful son, I wouldn’t dare try to pull you away from your life as it is.” Raviel says as he sits down. Hina grabbed a glass, filling it with water and offering it to Raviel. Raviel took it graciously.

“Unfortunately Sirus isn’t here right now. He had a nightmare last night and went for a walk in the middle of the night. He’s been gone for about 2 hours so he should be back soon.” Hina explained as she crossed the kitchen. “Let me just put Akura back to bed.” Raviel waited in the kitchen for Hina before hearing a door open and close. Raviel turned toward the door and saw Sirus as he entered the kitchen.

“Hey Sirus!”

“Raviel? What are you doing here?” Sirus asks as he poured himself a glass of water. As he’s asked, Raviel saw Hina re-enter the kitchen and embrace Sirus from behind.

“Jinsoku said that Mikoto-Ousama decided that you are to be my on-the-job trainer. I know it’s early, but Jinsoku told me to come to see you.” Sirus sat down across from Raviel to address him.

“The job is simple. I’ll show you the ropes for the first few weeks, but basically you will be given a particular section of the city perimeter to patrol. Furthermore we are always on call during times of war. If the city is ever invaded an alarm will go off and we must report to action. During war where we take offense, Mikoto-Ousama will assign a squad to invade enemy territory, as I’m sure you know from your training.” Sirus explains. Raviel nods as an alarm begins to blare. “As if on cue. That’s the alarm I mentioned. Someone is in the city, Domino is under attack.” Sirus said, as he got up from his chair.

“Sirus, be careful.” Hina told Sirus, and kissing him.

“Baby I’m always careful.”

“Promise me you’ll come home.”

“I promise.”

--------------------

Raviel followed Sirus as they went outside and into the chaos. The two of them joined the other city guards as they saw a flood of soldiers from another country running in through the gates of Domino, swords drawn. Raviel drew his sword and ran in, meeting an enemy and swinging his sword toward the enemy. Raviel sliced off the head of the enemy, allowing him to go after another. This new opponent ducked Raviel’s sword slash. Raviel continued his swing, swiping across and stabbing another soldier through the chest. Raviel turned to the one who ducked his swing, taking a break. Raviel shot a fireball from his mouth, taking out the soldier. As Raviel pulled his sword out of the soldier he pierced, a bolt of lightning zipped past him.

“Hey Raviel, watch your back! I cant do it for you!” Sirus instructed with a smirk. Raviel turned to see a soldier lying behind him, the entry point of the lightning clearly visible.

“Thanks Sirus! But you wont need to watch my back anymore!” Raviel replied as Sirus ran passed him.

“Handle the situation here, Im going out of the city to find their commander.”

“How can you be certain their leader is here?”

“With an army this big for an invasion, their leader needs to stay close by to make sure things go well. He cant be too far off.” Sirus explained. “Raviel, no matter what, protect Hina for me if I don’t come back.” Sirus ran off behind Raviel before Raviel could comprehend what Sirus had just ordered. Turning toward Sirus, Raviel saw that Sirus was already out of the city.

“You better come back then, damn it!” Raviel yelled toward Sirus before turning back in toward the city. Raviel ran back into the city, to fight the army. Raviel grabbed an enemy, blowing a fireball hard in their chest. The impact sent the soldier down against the dirt. Raviel turned and drew his sword as he blocks an enemy soldier. Raviel pushed his sword up before blowing a fireball at the enemy, taking down yet another soldier.

“Wow kid, your good.” An enemy compliments as he approaches Raviel. His outfit was different from the others. Wearing jeans, a white shirt and a jacket, Raviel knew this guy was different. This stranger drew his sword and held it across his chest. “Now how about you try your skills against me.”

“You’d be foolish to underestimate me.” Raviel smirked.

“And you’d be foolish to underestimate me.”

--------------------

Raviel met his sword with the stranger’s sword before attempting to strike. The stranger blocked the strike, causing Raviel to feel a sharp pain in his hand. Raviel quickly noticed he cant move his fingers; that his hand is frozen to the handle of his sword. Raviel jerked the sword away, followed by a quick roundhouse kick to get distance between him and the stranger. Raviel took a breath before blowing a small amount of fire, heating up his hand so he can get his hand separated from his sword. Raviel then turned to see his opponents sword covered in icicles. After thinking for a few seconds, Raviel decided to send the fire from his body into his sword and sets his blade on fire.

“Fire and ice. This should be fun.” The challenger smirked, charging at Raviel. Raviel blocked the attack, but saw his fire start to extinguish. Raviel pushed his opponent, but felt a sharp pain as his opponent kicked him in the ribs… hard. Raviel felt the wind of his breath leaving his mouth in a chillingly low temperature. Raviel felt his ribs begin to tighten up and freeze as he begins to separate from his challenger’s foot. In that split second, Raviel felt more pain than he’s ever felt in his entire life from a single hit.

Raviel was forced to release his sword as he was pushed a few feet off the ground. Raviel landed on his feet and slid a few feet before hitting a wall. As he tried to regain his composure, Raviel felt another sharp pain in his arm as it was pinned to the wall. Looking over, Raviel saw blood gushing as an icicle pinned his arm to the wall. Raviel gripped the icicle, attempting to melt it. Raviel could only watch as his challenger walked toward him, Raviel’s sword in the stranger’s hand.

“I’ll give you this kid, you fought well. However, I told you not to underestimate me.” Raviel needed to beat this guy. He couldn’t fall, not here, not today, not against ice. Raviel blew a small fireball as he melted the icicle and pulled himself off the wall. Raviel followed the fireball with a roundhouse kick that was blocked by the challenger’s sword. As if a taunt, Raviel realized he was as good as dead when his sword pierced his leg.

“Gahh!” Raviel screamed. He felt another powerful strike as his ribs froze again from the ball of ice that was just thrown, sending him through the wall of a building nearby. This was it, after clawing his way up, after fighting training his entire life, after coming all the way to Domino, Raviel was going to die.

“Raviel! Raviel! Are you ok? Raviel?” Raviel could barely make out the voice as he slipped out of consciousness.

--------------------

Raviel opened his eyes to see himself in a hospital bed. Raviel moved his head to look around as he felt a huge amount of pain from his arm once again. He sees Jinsoku nearby, speaking to a nurse, before they notice he’s moving.

“Easy. Easy.” The nurse requested, keeping Raviel from moving. “Your injuries haven’t healed. Your leg is already healed up, but your arm is broken.”

“Who… Who did I fight…?” Raviel asked as the nurse begins to heal his arm again.

“That was… Hitsugaya Haruto, one of Kobura-Ousama’s greatest assassins. In fact, Hitsugaya usually leads attacks like that. However, scouts claim Sirus found Kobura himself.” Jinsoku started to explain

“Sirus? Where is he? Is he ok?”

“He… hasn’t come back. Mikoto-Ousama has pronounced him as dead. As great a warrior as he is, the chances of Sirus living a fight with Kobura is slim, if not impossible. Kobura isn’t known to keeping prisoners, and I don’t know of anyone who has fought Kobura and lived to tell about it.” Jinsoku explained. Raviel punched the bed with his non-broken arm in frustration.

“Damnit… He had a son… He had a family. I think… I think he knew he wasn’t coming back. He told me to protect Hina if he didn’t return. I… I need to go to her.” Raviel explained, trying to sit up in his bed.

“With your injuries, you’re not going anywhere.” The nurse assured him.

“You can’t stop me.” Raviel said, pushing himself out of the bed. Jinsoku walked up to Raviel, helping him up.

“I’ll go with you.” Jinsoku assured. Raviel nodded and the two headed out the door.

“How far is Hina’s home from here?”

“Literally two blocks away.” Jinsoku answers as the two cross the road. They get to Hina’s house and Raviel knocked on the door. No answer. Raviel knocks again.

“Hina, are you home? I need to talk to you… about Sirus…” Raviel called in. Hina opened the door, tears in her eyes.

“Sirus… hasn’t come home…” Hina cried. Raviel hugged her.

“I promised Sirus… if he didn’t return… I’d look after you.” Raviel explained. Hina gripped Raviel’s shirt as she cried. Jinsoku patted Hina’s back, trying to comfort her.

“He gave his life to save you. No one quite knows why Kobura called back his army, they were winning. Sirus must have injured Kobura enough to save you today.” Jinsoku explained, trying to show that Sirus sacrificed himself to save her. Hina just continues to cry as a cry is heard from inside the house.

“Hina… Akura is crying…” Raviel reminded her. Hina nodded, letting go of Raviel. Hina, teary eyed, went into Akura’s room. Raviel and Jinsoku walked into the kitchen and sat down, awaiting Hina’s return. Suddenly a scream is heard, causing Jinsoku and Raviel to jump to their feet and run into Akura’s room. Raviel saw something he never imagined… Sirus charging a lightning bolt… pointed at Hina.